• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

On 10/7/2018 at 8:57 AM, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

"Racist Parrot Weekly". Only 9d from all good newsagents 

Man, I am not having THAT delivered to the office anymore. Lesson learned.

1 minute ago, Point Five said:
On 10/7/2018 at 1:57 PM, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

"Racist Parrot Weekly". Only 9d from all good newsagents 

Good move. May I recommend Barney the Bigoted Bear as a replacement? He hates everyone equally. 

On 10/6/2018 at 11:11 PM, Get Marwood & I Live! said:

So we never get to see the Wizard Apes of Inkosi-Khan? :p

By popular demand ... here is the first appearance of the Wizard Apes of Inkosi-Khan:

Kaanga_5_int1.jpg.57bcdfad44b5104d26f263be59226bd2.jpg
Although...

Spoiler

(Cra_p printing in original - not my scanning skills!)

Kaanga_5_int2.jpg.2dcfe146b48ff99b39c739aa3151bdbe.jpg

4 hours ago, AJD said:

By popular demand ... here is the first appearance of the Wizard Apes of Inkosi-Khan:

Kaanga_5_int1.jpg.57bcdfad44b5104d26f263be59226bd2.jpg
Although...

Hide contents

(Cra_p printing in original - not my scanning skills!)

Kaanga_5_int2.jpg.2dcfe146b48ff99b39c739aa3151bdbe.jpg

Yay!  The Wizard Apes are here at last :)

Thanks for circling them AJD - not sure I'd have found them otherwise 9_9

Aren't those Schomburg air brushed covers lovely? You have a gorgeous copy (disclaimer: I have none).

Deconstruction coming.

A crater (and on this planet they are either volcanic or meteorite caused) has "burned out ages ago". I lean towards volcanic. Exposed to the elements "for ages" it still maintains a lot of "soft ash" to cushion the fall.

Seems unlikely, what with all the rain, wind and compaction over the "ages". Oh well.

Next, it might be just me, but if I saw tunnels leading from a natural crater, my immediate thought would be "manufactured". Good to see it only took Tygra a panel and the observation they were dug to work that out.

Lastly, Terry is not just crash hot at identifying ancient cultures, he really can see around corners!

Great book, Andrew - I hope the rest of the stories measure up.

On 10/10/2018 at 4:16 AM, Point Five said:

lol But don't worry. It has been renamed these days. I think it's called 'Breitbart'.

It's raining comics in my mailbox at the moment, so I'll try to list one a day for a little while. Here's my first new EC for a while.

large.SSS_11.jpg.ad6bbca136e1a04f736a162024828bed.jpg

It's funny how you sometimes notice something that you must have looked at 100 times. I have many copies of this ad on the back of ECs, but until today I didn't notice that it's not an ad for stockings, but an an ad for people to go out and sell stockings. You too can buy a new Chevvy in only four months by flogging hosiery! But then why does the application coupon require that you state your "hose size"? Do you have to go model them for prospective customers?

SSS_11_back.jpg.1d7f4b844c8ed86de87f7bf01a788bc5.jpg

25 minutes ago, AJD said:

It's raining comics in my mailbox at the moment, so I'll try to list one a day for a little while. Here's my first new EC for a while.

It's funny how you sometimes notice something that you must have looked at 100 times. I have many copies of this ad on the back of ECs, but until today I didn't notice that it's not an ad for stockings, but an an ad for people to go out and sell stockings. You too can buy a new Chevvy in only four months by flogging hosiery! But then why does the application coupon require that you state your "hose size"? Do you have to go model them for prospective customers?

I'd take the stockings or at least what's in them instead of the car myself.  

WARNING: post contains graphic images that may stress some comic geeks

One of the war bonds covers that has been on my list for a while is Our Gang #17, which has a Walt Kelly cover with a "Buy that extra bond" sign on the fence. I recently bought two copies of Our Gang at Heritage - #17 and #26. The Heritage description said "Our Gang Comics #17 and 26 Davis Crippen ("D" Copies) pedigree (Dell, 1945-46) Condition: Average VG. Includes the Davis Crippen "D" copies of issues #17 and 26. Artists include Carl Barks and Walt Kelly. Approximate Overstreet value for group = $50." Here's the 26:

OG_26.jpg.bee000e94bf3c2c254cec619a97bd381.jpg

Yeah, OK, that's acceptable enough as a VG. And it has the merit of containing work by Kelly and Barks. Here's an excellent sight gag from the Barks Barney Bear story:

OG_26_int.jpg.fa3c58053b49e2488c0a410f3f3f03ac.jpg

Now to the #17. Both books came with the Crippin CoA, which was nice. Here's the one for #17

OG_17_CoA.thumb.jpg.476b3556a29d29b34520f30f11c9adde.jpg

Well, this book might have been a VG+ when Heritage first sighted over a decade ago, but here's what I found when I unpacked it.

OG_17_1.thumb.JPG.898b0c62c5c3f13014842bd5b4cf81d2.JPG

OG_17_2.thumb.JPG.b92ca82dd83ae3f3c82b1c6ad637fbc9.JPG

And here are the "staples" that I picked out of the wreckage.

OG_17_3.JPG.e266bb6779cd47e14e3e4a814a3cde2a.JPG

To be fair, the lower staple damage was visible in the partial picture of #17 in the action listing, so part of this is on me, but there is no way these books average out at VG. For the price ($60 for the pair) it's really not worth shipping them back to the US (and the 26 is ok anyway). I actually wonder if the grader even took the books out of the bag when assigning grades for the auction - maybe they just looked at the grades on the CoAs?

The great pity is that a pedigree book has been trashed to this point. My plan now is to use it as part of my learning experience in paper restoration, including rust stain removal (reduction more likely in this extreme case), piece infill and maybe even leaf casting down the track. I had been planning to buy some wrecked Dells for that purpose - just not one I wanted for my war bonds collection! For the record, here's the #17 and another Barks page:

large.OurGang_17.jpg.e1488954f98087fa5001cda87e2db90a.jpg

OurGang_17int.jpg.193ace5fce220c25ab08c9e084999cc0.jpg

doh!

What a bummer. I agree that it is kind of pointless seeking  a refund, but I'd still let Heritage know what's happened, if only so they feel obligated to re-check the grades of books offered.

It would seem in this case they simply looked at the COA and said "that'll do" and cheerfully listed it.

23 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

doh!

What a bummer. I agree that it is kind of pointless seeking  a refund, but I'd still let Heritage know what's happened, if only so they feel obligated to re-check the grades of books offered.

It would seem in this case they simply looked at the COA and said "that'll do" and cheerfully listed it.

Good idea. @HeritageComics please note the above post for quality control purposes. I should also say that this is my first real problem in ten years as a customer.

On a happier note, this was also in the Heritage parcel. It was slabbed (7.5 OW) but looks much nicer in a mylar - and TBH, looks a bit nicer than 7.5 in hand. I'm slower "renovating" my Scrooge collection. I'm also in the market for nice copies of 10, 20 and 27.

986860595_UncleScrooge09.jpg.dc04c98600b1164a8b86bab5b2ae28b4.jpg