• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

I picked this one up at Heritage on Sunday night (actually Monday morning my time, but don't tell my boss :grin: ). It will go nicely with my WW2 cover theme collection, though it isn't a war bonds cover. Eh, close enough.

Pearl_Harbor_nn.thumb.jpg.86573c53236fe40168fdb053b4138a9e.jpg

Final update for now. Some Australian editions of the Fiction House Fight Comics title. Well, sort of.

Let me start with the least odd one. The cover is from Wings 121, so still in the FH stable.

Fight_31_Oz.thumb.JPG.40b7bf05b0ed6ea8d17f03d362f64e69.JPG

It has stories from Wings 121 and Fight 85, another FH comic. Here's the Wings (from comicvine) for comparison:

976821-121.jpg

There's a curious story behind the Soviet fighters on this and other contemporary covers - I'll come back to that another time.

This one has a cover image I can't locate.

Fight_29_Oz.thumb.JPG.06aea9123b73c86ba7bd0d9d385d6c2c.JPG

The content is not FH. It's all from the ACG title Spy Hunter.

This one has a cover partly from Spy Hunters #18 - the main image of the Marine. But not the two aircraft. One is from the Wings 121 cover and the other is from the comic above. Some creative cutting and pasting going on in the Australian production office...

Fight_34_Oz.thumb.JPG.2db872f8e31f323bf8830a4fb3106c6b.JPG

The stories in that one are from Spy Hunters and another ACG book; Operation Peril #16.

The last one has stories from Operation Peril #15 and more Spy Hunters material. I can't place the cover on this one. All help welcome.

Fight_33_Oz.thumb.JPG.e6616f6b907b64eab675d7bf44c8bc68.JPG

Australian reprints are like the wild west. :insane:

The last one has stories from Operation Peril #15 and more Spy Hunters material. I can't place the cover on this one. All help welcome.

Oz_Fight_33_zpssh5sbcod.jpg

Australian reprints are like the wild west. :insane:

Not much luck with this one, but I have a feeling it'll be another ACG book's internal panel. Will report back later.

:applause:

So the Australian Fights were all 1950s books, correct? Any GGA covers?

A few had Jungle and Jumbo covers with GGA, but as far as I know (records are spotty) none of the classic 'damsal in distress and guy with sword' type Fight covers. You can see some Australian Fights on the GCD here. The Oz reprints site has a few more, but wasn't working when I just tried. Neither has any of the four I got. The GCD's highest is #25, and Oz reprints has #26.

Thanks guys. :)

I'm slowly updating this journal as I get a chance. Here's a recent pickup that I saw going for about 10% of FMV, and I bought it planning to flip it. But now I have it, it's a really cool earlyish GA book (cover date Jan 1940) and it's also pretty hard to find. Heritage has sold 6 in the past 14 years. So for now I'm hanging onto it.

What's not to like - a haughty redhead with a seashell bra, a guy with a fishbowl on his head and the green guy that Kirk wrestled...

Champion_2_zps80iuxl8r.jpg

Nice pick! I could see why once in your hand, you'd not want to flip it after all. Captivating cover there.

I'm slowly updating this journal as I get a chance. Here's a recent pickup that I saw going for about 10% of FMV, and I bought it planning to flip it. But now I have it, it's a really cool earlyish GA book (cover date Jan 1940) and it's also pretty hard to find. Heritage has sold 6 in the past 14 years. So for now I'm hanging onto it.

What's not to like - a haughty redhead with a seashell bra, a guy with a fishbowl on his head and the green guy that Kirk wrestled...

Nice pick! I could see why once in your hand, you'd not want to flip it after all. Captivating cover there.

+1. Nice rich colors, and I really like that lady! I wonder if her face and pose were swiped from a then-current screen star's photo... she is drawn with a lot more nuance than the guys.

+1. Nice rich colors, and I really like that lady! I wonder if her face and pose were swiped from a then-current screen star's photo... she is drawn with a lot more nuance than the guys.

I had a similar thought - very reminiscent of then screen siren Mae West - especially the "hand on hip" pose.

976821-121.jpg

There's a curious story behind the Soviet fighters on this and other contemporary covers - I'll come back to that another time.

I'd be very much interested in that story.

:)

I haven't posted here in a while, so a short update seems worthwhile. I have a big swag of nice GA books on their way across the Pacific and will update as they arrive. Until then, I lapsed from GA to SA/early BA to pick up a couple of trippy Gold Key painted covers. I quite liked the TZ comics as a kid, and these read better than I expected:

TWZ_45.thumb.jpg.fe1f1129cc9508f8818d2e513ccb15ed.jpg

TWZ_74.thumb.jpg.83754c25fed7fe88ae730430f540d4f5.jpg

Not my usual stuff, but I like them.

Ok, haven't done an update here for a while, and I've had a bit of a spending spree. So let's do a mid-year catch up. For a start, here's some EC sci-fi books:

I showed off my Weird Science #12(1) a whle back. Here's #13(2) courtesy of Edward Owens Esq. (Thanks Ed)

WS_02.thumb.jpg.fa983ae8798816ebd4f3764b55ce1fe8.jpg

and #14(3) from Mr Bedrock:

WS_03.thumb.jpg.8cc1d9cf3790a80c95451b5ad585d64a.jpg

Finally, here's #15(5) from a MCS auction:

WS_05.thumb.jpg.5e10caf127042fd62761fbef5c985d80.jpg

There's one more Weird Science in the mail. Once it turns up I'll be able to post a group shot that has been seven years in the making. :banana:

And a few Mads. This one was hard to find in decent shape at a reasonable price. The inestimable Mr Owens came through again (for all of the books in this post).

Mad_05.thumb.jpg.0e0c16f02438bb665464f0aafff2c170.jpg

And the final Mad comic book. There's a great Gopo Gossum parody in this one. I think I'll scan some of it when I get a chance.

Mad_23.thumb.jpg.8bb674d0c78492d354ab0cccc4a8856c.jpg

Finally, here's a Piracy #3. This one has a very good WW2 U-boat story in it, which was kind of surprising given the 'yaar me maties' style of the title.

Piracy_3.thumb.jpg.57edc663c561fc23c24cb3b54f06e97d.jpg

It took from April 2010 until now to get this group shot together. The first one I bought was #8, from a boardie. The others are mostly auction wins.

Mad_1_10_2.thumb.jpg.d06e0fc515ab8975472fc1ac455f56a5.jpg

It's a really nice group of comics to have. I've thought about getting the full 1-23 comic run, and have gone as far as getting 12, 19, 20, 21, 22 and 23. I'd like to get a few more in the run too. #14's Mona Lisa cover is great, and I like the Tenniel-like Alice in Wonderland cover of #15. But I really balk at paying for the awful Wolverton cover on #11. Sorry, I just don't get that guy.

I haven't posted here in a while, so a short update seems worthwhile. I have a big swag of nice GA books on their way across the Pacific and will update as they arrive. Until then, I lapsed from GA to SA/early BA to pick up a couple of trippy Gold Key painted covers. I quite liked the TZ comics as a kid, and these read better than I expected:

TWZ_74_zpsyh1lqthe.jpg

TWZ_45_zps8ecqgmyr.jpg

Not my usual stuff, but I like them.

No surprise, but i'm loving the one with the 'wabbit'. Cool psychedelic stuff there! (thumbs u