• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

Another of the new acquisitions.

Mad_17_zpsm8muhncp.jpg

I can't help but think that the joke here would have been better without the explanation in the yellow box on the cover. Surely "this issue is going to change your whole viewpoint of Mad" and then leave it to the reader to discover why would have been funnier? Maybe they wanted to avoid returns?

But, as advertised, here's what greets you when you open the cover:

zMad_17_interior1_zpskak9fjnj.jpg

I'm willing to bet that this caused some cursing in the printer's plant. lol

And, without (overt) comment, here's an example of the sidesplitting comedic stylings of Wolverton, Basil. meh

zMad_17_interior2_zpsn6jqibav.jpg

Love it Andrew! Unique copy of that book now in your collection

I was unreasonably pleased to score this one for my collection. There are at least 24 Australian issues of Planet Comics. I now have 4 of them. At this rate I should be done sometime in the 2040s...

Oz_Planet_6.thumb.jpg.9820baf80d4356857f9e9ca6223d627b.jpg

Other than a bit of a tape/price sticker pull this one is beautiful. It even has the slightly greasy feel that older Australian comics with newsprint covers sometimes have in high grade when the cover inks are largely intact.

Another Australia unique cover on this one. The others I have are #3,4,5. This #6 is smaller, and about the same size as a standard GA book. The contents are a bit odd. There's a Space Rangers story, which is fair enough, but then there's some very un Planet-like stuff. First a Captain Terry Thunder story (from Jungle Comics), followed by Senorita Rio (Fight Comics) and Camilla (Jungle Comics again). Not a whole lot for the sci-fi comic fan!

Here's the Camilla splash. The story is from Jungle #132:

zPlanet_06_Oz.thumb.jpg.4f5ef5623e5dfcf9e7d0d60d8db53d97.jpg

T

I was unreasonably pleased to score this one for my collection. There are at least 24 Australian issues of Planet Comics. I now have 4 of them. At this rate I should be done sometime in the 2040s...

Oz_Planet_6_zpsnzle4aik.jpg

Other than a bit of a tape/price sticker pull this one is beautiful. It even has the slightly greasy feel that older Australian comics with newsprint covers sometimes have in high grade when the cover inks are largely intact.

Another Australia unique cover on this one. The others I have are #3,4,5. This #6 is smaller, and about the same size as a standard GA book. The contents are a bit odd. There's a Space Rangers story, which is fair enough, but then there's some very un Planet-like stuff. First a Captain Terry Thunder story (from Jungle Comics), followed by Senorita Rio (Fight Comics) and Camilla (Jungle Comics again). Not a whole lot for the sci-fi comic fan!

zPlanet_06_Oz_zps9ojxixoc.jpg

VERY nice! Very cool factor that it doesn't share a cover image of the U.S. run. Probably extremely rare variant there.

Oz_Planet_6_zpsnzle4aik.jpg

zPlanet_06_Oz_zps9ojxixoc.jpg

AJD, you are missing the most desirable aspect of this comic - its FABULOUS off register cover printing.

Simply wonderful lol

It was time for another crack hit. In this case two lovely Dell file copies were sprung outta the big house. The first one is a white page beauty with a great Barks cover:

596add537a343_wdcs_161.thumb.jpg.e39b5267f10a4a64eef55e416a9733b5.jpg

Walt Kelly on this one, and the only flaw on this beautifully preserved one staple book is some tanning to the covers - still 'off-white pages' to the CGC folks though.

Animal_comics_09.thumb.jpg.5174242919d17713e7f27e62c1ffb768.jpg

Here's an interior page of the Albert Alligator story (Pogo's top billing came later). Note the early Pogo look and the southern dialect that Walt Kelly apologised for when some of these stories were published against his will in the Pogo Parade Dell giant.

zAnimal_comics_09_interior.thumb.jpg.12726fb87e3bc1eafb2ec43d263d0f54.jpg

A change of pace this time. This one was a prize in the grading contest (and a big thank you to thehumantorch). I have a small stash of SA Marvels, and this one is a welcome addition.

FF_50.thumb.jpg.7a3aee765cf97fef90928d14b54f9788.jpg

Some great Kirby artwork in here - and I love Ben's line at the end of the page below. While there's a little too much of it sometimes, Ben's griping about Reed's inflated speeches can be pretty funny. And it's not just Reed - I love Ben's observation when The Watcher is waxing lyrical about the nature of Galactus: "This is a blast! Jest when we need all the help we can git, baldy decides ta turn philosopher!" lol

Here's my favourite panel. Kirby dots. :cloud9:

FF_50_interior.thumb.jpg.5543cb700dcc631a9c1f081b3f2374a7.jpg

And, no, you haven't wandered into Harry Lime's journal. Normal GA service will be resumed in the next post.

Another day, another comic sized envelope on my desk. Here's my latest Australian FH reprint. Another 'big' book, at 2.5 cm (1") taller than the US editions:

Rangers_03_Oz.thumb.jpg.31ee16bfd5013da26ae5c05bdcfe677c.jpg

I couldn't find this cover anywhere in the US FH range, so I assume it's another Australian produced one. If so, it's certainly one of the best ones I've seen.

Here's the back cover, with a 'house ad' for others in the range:

Rangers_03_Oz_back.thumb.jpg.4ea12ea4312b39752a3e8e07f384c465.jpg

I make quite sensible comic buying decisions, and I am in the process of selling some comics for a nice profit, but maybe this will be of interest anyway... ;)

Another day, another comic sized envelope on my desk. Here's my latest Australian FH reprint. Another 'big' book, at 2.5 cm (1") taller than the US editions:

9446dce6-0775-4509-95f3-0bc020ba933d_zpsx1cizxn1.jpg

I couldn't find this cover anywhere in the US FH range, so I assume it's another Australian produced one. If so, it's certainly one of the best ones I've seen.

Here's the back cover, with a 'house ad' for others in the range:

:applause: Can't wait for the eventual Group Shot! Rangers_03_Oz_back_zpsskgrncr4.jpg

More ducks today. Well, strictly speaking a large and eccentric chicken and some ducks. Another Gyro Gearloose Four Color - in fact the last of four GGFCs for me. There's one more one-shot (which is 'missing four color' #1329, from memory) which I'll try to run to ground as well.

FC_1047.thumb.jpg.d9a016afed85e3f8e267f00b166f9d56.jpg

Here's an 'under the covers' special, in which Barks masterfully turns a sequence into a slapstick silent comedy. Donald has asked Gyro to produce a device to cancel out any noise HD&L make. Strange as it might seem, all does not go smoothly. A small fire breaks out and the device malfunctions. Hilarity ensues:

four_color_1047_int1.thumb.jpg.d5fcf09f4858579a22aeb3abaf4ecf2b.jpg

four_color_1047_int2.thumb.jpg.334a8ad31e4859d02e2d44d5961c9fb4.jpg

four_color_1047_int3.thumb.jpg.f195fedce1634458725399b694711b38.jpg

A package lobbed onto my desk today. It was an inter-Commonwealth transfer of these two books from the UK back to their native Australia.

Jungle_25_Oz.thumb.jpg.2e66901a73357d95ddd41be69063e2d3.jpg

This one has a 'Jungle Tales by Trader Jim' feature which is just a thinly disguised reason to include some rather nicely done drawings of African wildlife. The B&W format is good for being able to enjoy the inking:

Jungle_25_Oz_int_1.thumb.jpg.019c88f6561d82414d50f7373174cf74.jpg

Jungle_25_Oz_int_2.thumb.jpg.84b271d4456d61203abcf1d2862bf401.jpg

This one has awesome cover inks. They're even still different reflectivity and look fresh from the printers. It's a real shame that the book has picked up wear and a few tears along the way. A high grade copy with these colours would be wonderful. As an observation, the Australian FH reprints don't seem to suffer from the colour fading that the US ones did.

Jungle_22_Oz.thumb.jpg.19eef8440bfd74778bcd35338ebf2557.jpg

Agreed, great stuff! Sharing Jungle books seem to be trending in Gold Forum (Fiction House of course leading the way), this genre is heating up. Maybe a 'Foreign Fiction House' Thread coming soon.. hm

Please don't do that - I'm really appreciating the lack of competition for these books! lol

Here's an Australian book for which there's no shortage of competition. Three Crimson Comets came up for sale this week, and all had five or six bidders. I picked out the one with the GGA to put my sights on. It sold for the very top of what I thought was a safe enough snipe:

CrimsonComet_40.thumb.jpg.9d4f726e400a12f59abd33304372067c.jpg

You know, I'm not sure that angry sugar gliders are the scariest monsters the CC would ever face!

Small furry flying things? These are way more than a step down from bats.

They don't drink blood, have rabies, lyssavirus or any other negatives I can think of for now.

Anyway, sell the book a little more - it's by John Dixon, a great draughtsman, cover and interior, and extremely scarce.

Here's an Australian book for which there's no shortage of competition. Three Crimson Comets came up for sale this week, and all had five or six bidders. I picked out the one with the GGA to put my sights on. It sold for the very top of what I thought was a safe enough snipe:

CrimsonComet_40_zpszfcxbq14.jpg

You know, I'm not sure that angry sugar gliders are the scariest monsters the CC would ever face!

:lol:

That cover, however is somewhat scary: these "vampire" gliders are so unusual that give you some creeps!