• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

I got this Australian Rangers over the weekend. Great colours on it, and a cover I thought I recognised from Wings.

Rangers_Oz_25.thumb.jpg.bc16010356df786e63810ea2a833ef60.jpg

But I was wrong - this isn't a Wings cover. Or Jet Aces. Or any Fiction House comic I could find. The closest I could come is a colour and conceptual link with this L. B. Cole cover (not my book):

It does have some FH material inside. This Space Rangers story probably comes from a late run Jumbo, though I couldn't identify which one from the GCD.

Rangers_Oz_25_int.thumb.jpg.fcd8bf91f0441d7c979ca6ab4e9f3911.jpg

Edited by AJD

I think I'm going to put this journal to rest after this post. It's no fun around here any more, and I think I might enjoy yelling at clouds instead.

297.png

As a valedictory post, here's a low grade but fun book.

OOTW_1.jpg.300ec849f16c4747a32ca380bbce7ceb.jpg

An odd feature of this book is that the pages are printed at about 70% size!

OOTW_1_int.jpg.062212ca7df6ac2a5eeeda8e5f614477.jpg

As the pig says, That's all folks!

5 hours ago, AJD said:

I think I'm going to put this journal to rest after this post. It's no fun around here any more, and I think I might enjoy yelling at clouds instead.

297.png

As a valedictory post, here's a low grade but fun book.

OOTW_1_zpsx4dshcav.jpg

An odd feature of this book is that the pages are printed at about 70% size!

OOTW_1_int_zpsrb2d0gig.jpg

As the pig says, That's all folks!

Cool Entries Andrew, always a pleasure to read.  I was of the mind to put mine on ice for a while too ( but I will finish the MLJ Romance entry to night at least). 

Just hope you're still around in the other forums posting your amazing finds!

Well, it seems that these journals aren't going anywhere fast, so I might add some new stuff after all. I don't have any new comics scanned, but while walkign the dog I noticed that we're only a day from a full moon, which made me think of this:

FRF_number_4.jpg

Next time I get a chance, I'll put some genuine comical books up.

Edited by AJD

On 18/05/2017 at 8:21 PM, vaillant said:

Sweet! I never saw that TV show…

We used to get it in Australia, with re-runs going late at night until at least the late 80s. There were some seriously good episodes. I think my favourite was this one (warning - contains the EC-like ending of this classic):

Here's the Four Color 1288:

FC_1288.thumb.jpg.18bb8e1a4aeed2d83b90730db90ccf1d.jpg

And the 'under the covers' shot from this episode is this bizarre page:

FC_1288_int.thumb.jpg.1e029c4471f08cdc7229e50297a6c9f6.jpg

The Twilight Zone ending:

Spoiler

The kicker is that the figures are actually Hitler and his inner circle, shrunk and put into suspended animation by a gas. The story doesn't end well for the little figures, which are broken into fragments when the case is knocked to the floor.

Edited by AJD

On 19/05/2017 at 10:18 PM, Patriot6 said:

What a stash!

How do you make out on those lousy AirFix kits?!

(worship)

Ah, I'm guessing you haven't built an Airfix kit for a while? The latest incarnation of Airfix has produced some really nice newly moulded products over the past five years or so. Here are a few of mine:

596e138a3434e_BlenheimIV.fWIP006.thumb.jpg.9a359fc9acb5b1dc183f623c18fac207.jpgAirfix_early_hurricane_3.thumb.jpg.654ad15b008e8c9ba2ac1c2f7b1479e4.jpg

596e13bd0b209_Saab_J21_WIP002.thumb.jpg.623e05c3e532890f5271411fb9f8aa34.jpgAirfix_F4F_finished_3.thumb.jpg.ac937cd6dfde6d1911f8a2698b062254.jpg

4 minutes ago, AJD said:

Ah, I'm guessing you haven't built an Airfix kit for a while? The latest incarnation of Airfix has produced some really nice newly moulded products over the past five years or so. Here are a few of mine:

Saab_J21_WIP%20003_zps46meyyff.jpg  Airfix_early_hurricane_5_zpsgs6w9k5a.jpg

Blenheim%20IV.f%20WIP%20005_zpswpmthbrn.Airfix_Fw190_finished_1_zps80691593.jpg

Beauties!

What kind of paint are you using.

I cannot speak of AirFix's plane kits (I build ships and armour), but I recently purchased the AirFix Vosper kit (torpedo boat) and the flashing and fit is horrible. The hull is warped :( .

1 minute ago, Patriot6 said:

Beauties!

What kind of paint are you using.

I cannot speak of AirFix's plane kits (I build ships and armour), but I recently purchased the AirFix Vosper kit (torpedo boat) and the flashing and fit is horrible. The hull is warped :( .

The Vosper dates from 1978, so I'm not surprised. Sorry to hear that you got a bad one. The paint on my models is either Humbrol enamel or Model Master acrylic, depending on the colours. The P-40 is Humbrol OD over MM neutral grey, for example.

Just now, AJD said:

Model Master acrylic

:x My favourite!

Are your using an airbrush or brush painting? I can't make out any brush strokes on your models, but some people are that good!

What do you currently have on the bench?

16 hours ago, Point Five said:

Nice books! The 15-cent price is intriguing on comics from the early 1960s. Are there extra pages or anything?

Nope, just a higher price. There are a few Dells of the period with the 15c cover. There's at least one Uncle Scrooge that exists with 10c and 15c covers - apparently it was an experiment to test the elasticity of the price. When Dell released some Pogo Possum books at 15c Walt Kelly was furious at what he saw as taking advantage of the character's popularity in the newspapers.

A new purchase for me here (thanks Ed). I hadn't ever read an issue of MD before, so I was curious to see what it was like. Most of the EC New Direction titles were solid, but I feared that this one might be more like the dull Extra! than the excellent Valor or Piracy titles.

MD_4.thumb.jpg.2fdee6f69ff6135742b152407565b4ce.jpg

Actually, it's not a bad read, and I suspect it captures the state of the art of medicine in the 1950s pretty well.

I'm old enough to remember being being taken to the local Town Hall for polio vaccine in the 1960s, and hearing the parents being happy and grateful that they had the opportunity. There were people in our town not much older than me with leg braces from having had the disease earlier. So the story below struck a chord. It wasn't long after this comic was published in 1954 that the first disastrous trials with polio vaccine happened. The safe and effective vaccine I got was first available in the US in 1961 (I was born in 1963). I'm not sure when it was first available in Australia, but I'm glad it was. Thanks Dr Sabin.

MD_4_int.thumb.jpg.72a0fd533853e0159de13ff0ac7d6b4f.jpg

Finally, here's a contest for AJD's Journal readers. See if you can guess which one of the following dialogue excerpts is from a single speech balloon in MD #4.

A. Ya gotta get past me first!

B. She has a compound comminuted bilateral fracture of the mandible. Her nose is deviated. She's also suffered a depression of the malar-process of the zygoma in the infra-orbital region. There's a fragment of bone missing from the right mandible which, of course, calls for an autogenous bone graft. It's a shame! A beautiful girl like that turned into a grotesquery because of a moment's recklessness!

C. Argh! I'm hit!

They don't write comics like that any more! :D

Edited by AJD

6 hours ago, AJD said:

There's a fragment of bone missing from the right mandible which, of course, calls for an autogenous bone graft. 

Hey, I was gonna read that story! Spoiler tags next time?  :taptaptap: