• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

I've sung the praises of the Shock title to, well, to anyone who will listen to me. :D  My favorite issues are the #6-12 period... the social issues stories are killer, and the writing and art were just firing on all cylinders in general. But seeing these early issues in such nice shape makes me want to finish the run.

3 hours ago, Point Five said:

I've sung the praises of the Shock title to, well, to anyone who will listen to me. :D  My favorite issues are the #6-12 period... the social issues stories are killer, and the writing and art were just firing on all cylinders in general. But seeing these early issues in such nice shape makes me want to finish the run.

Yes, there's no point in having a partial run, I agree. Though you could always solve the problem by selling the ones you already have to needy collectors. :baiting:

9 hours ago, edowens71 said:

Excellent! I agree - this was the primary title where EC decided to do stories that centered on powerful social issues. These stories have become known as the EC "preachies". Glad you decided to collect this title! :grin:

Well, thanks to you in no small part. :hi:

Any more need upgrading? lol

On 5/30/2017 at 6:47 AM, AJD said:

Hey Brando, thanks for the kind words! As it happens, the package of books I'm working through posting has some nice SSS issues in it (the first ones I have in the series). Here's #3. Let me know your favourite pages in #s 2 and 3 and I'll scan them for you.

SSS_03_zpshcoedjne.jpg

Oooooooooooooo!

Issue #2, pg 1 of "Gee, Dad... It's a Daisy"

Issue #3, pg 9 of "Just Dressed"

On 6/3/2017 at 0:20 PM, Brando- said:

Oooooooooooooo!

Issue #2, pg 1 of "Gee, Dad... It's a Daisy"

Issue #3, pg 9 of "Just Dressed"

The service here is just terrible.  zzz

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 9:01 AM, AJD said:

I'm very pleased to add this EC to my collection:

TFTC_32_zpsbnx60z4v.jpg

Reading this issue confirmed my lack of connection with EC horror stories. Two of them revolve around being entertained by people being dismembered. Neither is as gross as Foul Play, but neither of them appealed to me either.

You know despite their huge popularity on this board I just can't get into all the gory pre-Code comics either. Yes, give me the Golden Age GGA, funny animal and the select superhero comics such as the titles featuring Green Lantern from the late forties and Simon & Kirby's Sandman and Newsboy Legion. But rotting corpses, torture and injury to the eye motifs? Screw that. I'd much rather leaf through a Little Roquefort comic.

:preach:

On 10/06/2017 at 1:33 AM, Point Five said:

The service here is just terrible.  zzz

Fake news!

As requested...

SSS_02_int2.jpg.ffc81b0f40e7e772afb7958640bae38d.jpg

And my nomination for the silliest ever EC panel. I imagine Bill Gaines would describe this as being "in good taste - for a horror comic":

SSS_03_int2.jpg.4363b00f87229223fe6ab4ba5f92a725.jpg

Edited by AJD

4 hours ago, Hepcat said:

You know despite their huge popularity on this board I just can't get into all the gory pre-Code comics either. Yes, give me the Golden Age GGA, funny animal and the select superhero comics such as the titles featuring Green Lantern from the late forties and Simon & Kirby's Sandman and Newsboy Legion. But rotting corpses, torture and injury to the eye motifs? Screw that. I'd much rather leaf through a Little Roquefort comic.

:preach:

A man after my own heart. It might be time for some funny animal goodness around here, I think.

13 hours ago, AJD said:

Fake news!

As requested...

SSS_02_int2_zpsk23ngny8.jpg

And my nomination for the silliest ever EC panel. I imagine Bill Gaines would describe this as being "in good taste - for a horror comic":

SSS_03_int2_zpsyatfxetl.jpg

Wow, I'd say these look better than the reproductions! Thanks!

Speaking of, I'm having a dinner party soon... :jaws:

As promised, after some EC seriousness, it's time for some comic relief. (thank you, I'm here all week.)

Twelve months ago I only had five of the ten issues of WDC&S in the 40-49 range. Now I have them all. :banana:  This was the third last one:

WDCS_041.jpg.ddf3c246fc9f7a7dd0d16d65b3d7b6cb.jpg

No trouble picking the 'under the covers' image from this one. It has my favourite early Barks story in it - 'The Duck in the Iron Pants'.

WDCS_041_int.jpg.48b528ff26ac1c0ece14665db646c39f.jpg

"I am invincible! I am doom itself!" sounds like something Stan Lee would have written in Journey Into Mystery, circa 1964. lol

Edited by AJD

56 minutes ago, AJD said:

As promised, after some EC seriousness, it's time for some comic relief. (thank you, I'm here all week.)

Twelve months ago I only had five of the ten issues of WDC&S in the 40-49 range. Now I have them all. :banana:  This was the third last one:

WDCS_041_zpsfcadohiq.jpg

No trouble picking the 'under the covers' image from this one. It has my favourite early Barks story in it - 'The Duck in the Iron Pants'.

WDCS_041_int_zpsnhwh0e9j.jpg

"I am invincible! I am doom itself!" sounds like something Stan Lee would have written in Journey Into Mystery, circa 1964. lol

I thought that myself and with him being encased in armour maybe Donald Duck was the proto Doctor Doom. :bigsmile:

The initials are the same as well...:whistle:

4 hours ago, AJD said:

WDCS_041_zpsfcadohiq.jpg

WDCS_041_int_zpsnhwh0e9j.jpg

Congrats Andrew! 

A big shout out to @Point Five for parting with this gem. :headbang: 

WDCS_048.jpg.89e4201be68a5615daef4bc4055ede0a.jpg

I couldn't decide which internal page to post. A Taliafero DD strip with Hitler and war bonds, or Mickey Mouse in Berlin surrounded by Nazi trappings. So here are both of those:

WDCS_048_int.jpg.c5065d27c0f451031e3e85f774bc6bb7.jpg

WDCS_048_int2.jpg.ab965cd2e84967d666c3a3b1fce0aad2.jpg

The Barks story - a knock down, drag out fight between DD and neighbour Jones - gets an honourable mention too. This one has it all.

Edited by AJD

On 6/9/2017 at 7:52 PM, AJD said:

As requested....

SSS_02_int2_zpsk23ngny8.jpg

Here are some great ads for the real thing:

09-09-201264806PM.jpg

Black Cat 15

01-07-201262727PM.jpg

Felix the Cat 10

10-06-201245054PM.jpg

Daffy Duck 24

002_zps35a1f294.jpg

DC Fall 1962

002_zps7ca9894e.jpg

DC Summer 1967

016_zps1a32f9c3.jpg

DC May 1968

:cool:

The last of the WDC&S needed in the 40s. Another book courtesy of @Point Five :hi: 

WDCS_045.jpg.ce923a2044fcf8038bf212e8caff8ed4.jpg

The inside back cover, like most of the WDC&S from 1944 and 45 has cartoon American military unit badges:

WDCS_045_int.jpg.f4f0725010fc7e97e759aa97ce3e34a4.jpg

Having a professional interest in submarines, The USS Sand Lance insignia caught my eye. This Balao class boat also has an Australian connection, having sailed from Fremantle in Western Australia (a lovely town and still a working port) for one of its cruises - and only just limping back after a harrowing experience concerning Japanese bombs and a torpedo 'running hot' in the tubes. :eek: 

The second USS Sand Lance was a Sturgeon class nuclear boat, with an updated and more aggressive version of the unit badge:

Insignia_of_SSN-660_Sand_Lance.PNG

Edited by AJD