• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

While I'm on a WDC&S roll, this one isn't in the 1-100 run, but it has a fun Walt Kelly cover.

WDCS_117.jpg.adbdab7f694262dbdf57d8b9f277cdfe.jpg

Before it arrived, I was looking forward to getting a part of the MM 'Monarch of Medioka' serial, which I saw was in the list of contents. But what's this?

WDCS_117_int.jpg.919612ada59c3b6b2c4c916a89b5f9e7.jpg

That can't be right - isn't Mickey meant to look like this in this story?

51DZW726B9L._SX368_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Huh, well I just learned something - the Gottfredson story was reworked for this reprint by Ted Osborne and Bill Wright. The Gottfredson one appeared in WDC&S 6-9 (all of which I have, so I can go read it there). I don't know why they did that, because the original is so much better!

Edited by AJD
Photobucket atrocity of aught-17

10 minutes ago, AJD said:

While I'm on a WDC&S roll, this one isn't in the 1-100 run, but it has a fun Walt Kelly cover.

WDCS_117_zpspmwvmelp.jpg

Great cover & book  - I'd really love to collect these old books too, but I already spend too much time looking for other books and art. Thanks for sharing!

Still plowing my way through my last parcel of books to arrive.

I got this one from @skypinkblu via @edowens71. I love the community on these boards. :hi: Sha, Ed

Wings_086.jpg.b8b3cf11dc2c70f61c1c304e9c92adbe.jpg

Here's the start of a bio of WW2 aviator Robert S. Johnson, who was a top ten ace pilot of the war. By the time this post-WW2 book was published he was flying as a test pilot. He later became an insurance executive (which must have been almost as exciting... ).

Wings_086_int.jpg.eea0be4eacca72b81e79be1430410375.jpg

Edited by AJD
*&^%$&! Photobucket

Thanks Jon - yes, the colours are excellent on that one.

I'm getting towards the end of the last parcel (but fear not, there are two smaller ones on their way as I type).

Here's the only EC I haven't posted. Psychoanalysis is kind of growing on me as a snapshot of a mental health development at the time.

This one is a bit different to #2 because it has the end of therapy for two of our continuing patients. In each case insight is gained and lives changed. In one instance, our teenage patient's parents are made to see that they are the problem... well, duh, thought every reader of this story!

Psych_4.jpg.0e921ba2b8ae51a8439d72cbfe6f2399.jpgPsych_4_int.jpg.5bf613b98557166816806e9bc5e75f2e.jpg

Edited by AJD
Photobucket thought I had nothing better to do.

10 hours ago, AJD said:

Well this sucks. This thread is dead unless Photobucket relents.

Yeah, most of your pics (but not all) are gone now. I've been uploading directly from my PC since the board changeover but weirdly I used PB before then and my pics are still being displayed, well for me anyway.

Well, I'm prepared to rebuild. I put enough effort into this journal and was unreasonably proud of it. (Monty Python's castle owner comes to mind at this point.) Please Mr @Architecht, is there any way to make the early posts editable again so I can replace the Photobucket images?

Oh, and I just realised how the 'War Bonds and Stamps' and 'GA in Australia' threads I started must look now... :sorry:

Poop.

Edited by AJD

23 minutes ago, AJD said:

Well, I'm prepared to rebuild. I put enough effort into this journal and was unreasonably proud of it. (Monty Python's castle owner comes to mind at this point.) Please Mr @Architecht, is there any way to make the early posts editable again so I can replace the Photobucket images?

:wishluck:

48 minutes ago, AJD said:

Oh, and I just realised how the 'War Bonds and Stamps' and 'GA in Australia' threads I started must look now... :sorry:

Poop.

Hope they can be retrieved buddy. 

Thanks guys - it is a very cool book, and a Schomburg cover to boot, according to some. (Though not credited at GCD.) Here's an inside pic:

Real_Life_7_int.jpg.4de5cc877d2643eb0d60eaca7c1093d8.jpg

Have to say that there's some pretty sketchy knowledge of Australian history here (and in the rest of the cover story). Summerhill Creek is near Bathurst in New South Wales, which is across the Great Dividing Range from Sydney. One of the great stories of Australian exploration is the discovery of a path through to the interior tablelands by Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth in 1813. According to this page, though, the inland through the Blue Mountains was only opened up in the 1850s, just after Edward Hargreaves got back from not discovering gold in California. And the last panel is set in my home state of Victoria, but it's all screwy too. Anderson's creek is east of Melbourne (in a pretty part of the country) while Ballarat is an hour's drive to the west, and was - along with Bendigo, my home town - among Victoria's richest goldfields.

Perhaps the biggest howler is that the book was published in October 1942, and talks of Australia's forces being ready for anything that Japanese can throw at them. That would be eight months after the calamitous fall of Singapore, which saw Australian and British troops soundly defeated.

So "real life" it aint. I'm still glad I own it though!

A big thanks to @Point Five for spotting it in a boards sales thread for me.

On 09/07/2017 at 1:48 AM, Hepcat said:

Do you know of anyone on this board who specifically collects kangaroo covers?

And are there any kangaroo funny animal characters who had ongoing features?

???

Funny you should say that. I have been thinking of a new thematic focus, as I have a good % of the war bonds covers I know about and it's getting hard to find new ones. I'd narrowed it down to kangaroos (for obvious reasons) and submarines (a long standing professional interest).

As for kangaroos as ongoing characters... you better believe it! Skippy could do all sorts of things, including tuning radio dials and communicate that dad was in a car that had gone into the creek. (That seemed to happen a lot.)

skippy-bush-kangaroo-1-20-31-junior-readers.jpg.17b0d8fd7774b9e50bd4bb07fbbf2196.jpg

It's 100% a Schomburg cover, no question. Everything about the linework and the er, rather distinctive handling of the Japanese soldier.

2 hours ago, AJD said:

A big thanks to @Point Five for spotting it in a boards sales thread for me.

(thumbsu

6 hours ago, AJD said:

Funny you should say that. I have been thinking of a new thematic focus, as I have a good % of the war bonds covers I know about and it's getting hard to find new ones. I'd narrowed it down to kangaroos (for obvious reasons) and submarines (a long standing professional interest).

As for kangaroos as ongoing characters... you better believe it! Skippy could do all sorts of things, including tuning radio dials and communicate that dad was in a car that had gone into the creek. (That seemed to happen a lot.)

skippy-bush-kangaroo-1-20-31-junior-readers.jpg.17b0d8fd7774b9e50bd4bb07fbbf2196.jpg

Order him up a jar of this from his cousin in Canada:

skippy.jpg

:wink: