• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

Thanks to the beneficence of the architect, I'm slowly rebuilding the images in this journal thread. Page 1 is done now. Yeah, it's OCD, but what are you going to do? :D

I'll keep some new posts coming as well. Here's a recent Planet I picked up. The last one in the run:

Planet_73.jpg.2709e4867691bf938817437bf919bf09.jpg

In many ways it looks like the end too. The cover is only OK, after a stellar run in the proceeding few issues. And the interior artwork mostly looks phoned in. With the notable exception of the aliens on this page, which wouldn't have looked out of place in a Wally Wood sci-fi story.

Planet_73_int.jpg.208747ecc0a160d922468972c968e946.jpg

A Planet Comics of a different kind today. I paid quite a bit more than I hoped to for this one, but they are hard to find and I like it a lot! (I wish the comment in Gold Comics that "there's not much interest in these comics" was true!)

The cover is obviously a local redrawing of the American Planet #65.

Planet_Oz_10.thumb.jpg.44e78f890bface7eae20a81c70a674dc.jpg

The interior shot is the very nice inside front cover splash:

Planet_Oz_10_int.thumb.jpg.25aa02b3ce253f9710c516124c84fef1.jpg

I've started to index these Australian editions, and I'll upload to Ausreprints and the GCD when I get the time. Here's what's in this one:

Lost World from Planet #61, Space Rangers from Planet #58 and Auro Lord of Jupiter from Planet #60. There's also a 4 page story 'Call the bird dogs' from Wings #114.

2 hours ago, AJD said:

A Planet Comics of a different kind today. I paid quite a bit more than I hoped to for this one, but they are hard to find and I like it a lot! (I wish the comment in Gold Comics that "there's not much interest in these comics" was true!)

The cover is obviously a local redrawing of the American Planet #65.

Love it.  :applause: You should post it in the new GA Foreign Editions thread as well.

18 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

AJD, were there any "surprises" with this one? It looks to be in great condition, especially for an Australian comic of this vintage so, yes, I'm asking about "shenanigans"  ® ™  © AJD?

Ha ha - no, in this case the (only slightly) dodgy seller provided everything as advertised.

In the same package as the Planet #10, here's a #17. Stellar condition for an Australian book from the 1950s. A not so stellar locally drawn cover...

Planet_Oz_17.thumb.jpg.4c75f04c89f9e3e56d9ea16a7812894c.jpg

While the #10 had reprints from American editions numbered in the 60s, this one reached further back, with stories from #35, 36 and 39. A pity they didn't use the cover from one of those. This Gale Allen story is from #35:

Planet_Oz_17_int.jpg.334701f853c224262914fa4808e6089a.jpg

14 hours ago, AJD said:

In the same package as the Planet #10, here's a #17. Stellar condition for an Australian book from the 1950s. A not so stellar locally drawn cover...

Planet_Oz_17.thumb.jpg.4c75f04c89f9e3e56d9ea16a7812894c.jpg

While the #10 had reprints from American editions numbered in the 60s, this one reached further back, with stories from #35, 36 and 39. A pity they didn't use the cover from one of those. This Gale Allen story is from #35:

Planet_Oz_17_int.jpg.334701f853c224262914fa4808e6089a.jpg

Love this one Andrew!

OK, having slogged through updating the pictures in 18 pages of this journal (though it was kind of fun to revisit all of those scans and remember when the books were new to the collection), I can get back to some new posts.

Here's a book I've wanted for years. I had to go a little downmarket for grade, but it's more solid than it looks (the scan does it no favours), and it contains one of my favourite early Barks adventures. Not the cover story (which is OK), but the very atmospheric 'Mystery of the Swamp'. While it mightn't be obvious, the page I scanned is the first appearance of the Gneezles. Some great swampy artwork here.

FC_062.thumb.jpg.12538b295706c460a660e75df1f734e1.jpg

FC_062_int.thumb.jpg.ac2d71bc758b31ce2052e87790a59bef.jpg

(They are under the alligator hide in the lower left panel!)

OK, back to some journalling here. When I was collecting the EC Two Fisted Tales title, a couple of 'moderns' (which were actually nearly a quarter of a century old) kept bobbing up in my eBay search. I ignored them for a long time, but curiosity finally got the better of me and I bought them when last I ordered something from MCS. Here they are:

New_TFT_1.jpg.060408866c3ef50c546367c07b484e69.jpg

New_TFT_2.jpg.271a73e371d038371591c997ab1ee330.jpg

To cut to the chase, these are wonderful books, which are absolutely worthy of being in any EC war comic fan's collection. #1 has a cover by Harvey Kurtzman and Will Eisner, while #2 has a cover illustrating an EC story from the 1950s, but newly pencilled by Kurtzman.  Sadly, it must be close to the last thing he did, because #1 has an obituary for him, as he died while the books were in production. Both books have multiple short stories, all of which are easily up there with the EC classics, and reprint one story . Don Lomax is the writer on a couple. His work on The 'Nam was excellent, and so it is here. There's a new story on the Civil War about the battle of the crater, and it doesn't shirk either the brutality or the racism of the event, it being one of the first battles in which a large group of black soldiers fought for the Union. There are contemporary stories too, including a good one about the Israeli Commando raid at Entebbe airport. The story called 'War' is the last story Kurtzman ever wrote, and it has all of his hallmarks of bold graphics and a 'preachy' tone. #1 is squarebound and #2 is saddle stitched.

Here are the back covers

New_TFT_1_back.jpg.e143cbe940baa131ad873cd5756317f1.jpg

New_TFT_2_back.jpg.137d07e81e4c80afe8c95620165df852.jpg

This was $10 well spent!

Just picked up this Australian EC reprint. I knew there was at least one issue of Piracy printed here, but I've never owned one, and I have never seen a #3 until this one appeared on eBay recently. It wasn't in Ausreprints or GCD lists either. I've never seen a #2, and the two sites don't have a scan of that either, but presumably it exists (or did once). All EC reprinted stories, including Blackbeard and the excellent Krigstein U-boat! story from the US edition of the same number - but with two fewer pages. :(

This book was printed on pretty poor paper stock, and the cover of this copy looks pretty murky. If anything the scan does it a favour.

59807ff9a697f_PIracy3Australian.thumb.jpg.0b010a7e8c314cf818a2ea4c5b6517ad.jpg

Well done :applause:

Interesting cover. Standard Piracy "template" what with the galleon as a left margin element, but the cover illustration is another matter.

Locally drawn? Dragged from an interior panel? I could look at the Cochrane book but I'd much rather annoy you.

14 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Interesting cover. Standard Piracy "template" what with the galleon as a left margin element, but the cover illustration is another matter.

Locally drawn? Dragged from an interior panel? I could look at the Cochrane book but I'd much rather annoy you.

It's what a maths text would call "an exercise for the reader". :baiting: