• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

I don't think I've shown this one before.

Cracked out of a 6.0 PLOD ('tear seals on interior pages'). The tear seals are a little white glue on 2 edges, about 1cm long. And for that I got a 60% discount... :cloud9:

WDCS_034.jpg.5c5e6eaeb96990a2d5805271e7085115.jpg

For 'under the covers', here's a WW2 rationing story with Clara Cluck being threatened with decapitation if she doesn't come good with the eggs. :o

WDCS_034_int.jpg.49faee1a65eacd809094b5638f07f104.jpg

On 8/3/2017 at 8:40 AM, AJD said:

For 'under the covers', here's a WW2 rationing story with Clara Cluck being threatened with decapitation if she doesn't come good with the eggs. :o

Awesome.  lol  I love how raw and 'off-brand' (from today's perspective) that early Disney stuff is.

On August 3, 2017 at 8:40 AM, AJD said:

I don't think I've shown this one before.

Cracked out of a 6.0 PLOD ('tear seals on interior pages'). The tear seals are a little white glue on 2 edges, about 1cm long. And for that I got a 60% discount... :cloud9:

WDCS_034.jpg.5c5e6eaeb96990a2d5805271e7085115.jpg

WDCS_034_int.jpg.49faee1a65eacd809094b5638f07f104.jpg

Cool cover. I'm sure one of your faves due to the added bonus of an aviation theme hm

Love it.  :applause:  You see an infinite number of tribute covers on the stands these days, but this one is extremely well done. Looks like it's by Pepoy, which is no surprise... I was a fan of his Afterlife with Archie covers as well.

This just in. A beautiful copy of an Australian FH reprint.

598d91364b653_Wings6Australian.thumb.jpg.e90f22e93f21a2f54f2b9e97da9b3d7e.jpg

This is a page from a very odd (and not very good story). Two pilots are almost killed in a crash. Death comes to collect them but there is only a reservation for one (what the?) so the two spirits watch their squadrons duke it out, with the winner to survive and the loser to die. The score at the end is 8-9 (which sounds like a pretty bad day at the office for both squadrons, I'd have thought). I won't tell you if the American or German wins...

598d911aa50c0_Wings6Australianint.thumb.jpg.26c07762265f2bc93696ccb8b5eafcf0.jpg

For the first time since I started collecting them, I missed out on an Australian Planet on eBay last weekend. :cry:

But there was some compensation - I landed this beauty. It's a "summer issue" nn. The Australian publishers always had leftover material because the books were 24 or 28 pages (this one is 28) compared to 52 in the US editions. hence there were many 'one-shots' like this one.

59959280703e1_JunglesummernnAustralian.thumb.jpg.b073a4347bd04a994bec6614d9708955.jpg

And here's the under the covers splash page.

599592987d03a_JunglesummernnAustralianint.thumb.jpg.e40547f52af12d85b14c5e4a647bcad4.jpg

Oh goody - another AJD confection simply begging to be deconstructed.

Leaving aside my confusion as to whether Kaanga is attacking a leopard or a cheetah, I will move right past the near-tautological "pre-set snare-trap" and express my admiration for writer Frank Riddell.

It's not often that jungle lords express themselves eloquently, but I doubt even Edgar Rice Burroughs would have the original, articulate, Lord of the Jungle, Tarzan, go full Shakespeare with " Hark, something despoils my trap".

Bravo, Frank.

Staying true to the characterisation, Kaanga's next utterances are "A swamp dog! Hold! Fire not the shaft!"

Again, kudos to Frank for bringing "Fire not the shaft" into a jungle setting.

Swamp Dog? Exhaustive research (read: 1 minute with Google) reveals no such real world animal, with the possible exception of a questionable canine breed named as a Carolina Swamp Dog.

I doubt that was what Frank intended and it seems artist John Celardo was similarly challenged, coming up with a design I thought was part killer kangaroo and part lioness.

Fabulous absurdities here AJD, and commiserations regarding missing the Planet - but lord that was an expensive comic. And as you well know, there are not that many of these sort of fish in the sea.

19 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Oh goody - another AJD confection simply begging to be deconstructed.

Leaving aside my confusion as to whether Kaanga is attacking a leopard or a cheetah, I will move right past the near-tautological "pre-set snare-trap" and express my admiration for writer Frank Riddell.

It's not often that jungle lords express themselves eloquently, but I doubt even Edgar Rice Burroughs would have the original, articulate, Lord of the Jungle, Tarzan, go full Shakespeare with " Hark, something despoils my trap".

Bravo, Frank.

Staying true to the characterisation, Kaanga's next utterances are "A swamp dog! Hold! Fire not the shaft!"

Again, kudos to Frank for bringing "Fire not the shaft" into a jungle setting.

Swamp Dog? Exhaustive research (read: 1 minute with Google) reveals no such real world animal, with the possible exception of a questionable canine breed named as a Carolina Swamp Dog.

I doubt that was what Frank intended and it seems artist John Celardo was similarly challenged, coming up with a design I thought was part killer kangaroo and part lioness.

Fabulous absurdities here AJD, and commiserations regarding missing the Planet - but lord that was an expensive comic. And as you well know, there are not that many of these sort of fish in the sea.

Yes - the dialogue is brilliant. But you missed the timing implausibility of being able to say "OHH! I - let it slip" before the arrow flies 25m or so. It's like so many Marvel comics, with dialogue like "Oh, the boulder is crushing me!"

Another Australian Fiction House book today. After I leafed through it I thought about returning this one because it had undisclosed staple rust with migration. But these are so hard to find... so I took out the staples and cleaned them with steel wool, dried them thoroughly and gave them a coat of acrylic sealer before putting them back in. My first conservation work, and I was pretty happy with the outcome. I have lots of small tools because of my model building hobby, and a small pair of pliers with masking tape on the jaws to prevent scratching works wonders. One of the staples looks perfect, but the other one has a small kink from being opened and re-closed. Otherwise, though, the book looks great.

Sheena_7_Oz.thumb.jpg.57d8db60cf1ca460d49e294eb574e7af.jpg

Here's an UtC pic. I love the panel with the elephants.

Sheena_7_Oz_int.thumb.jpg.05ee5f61c50c79fbf05e42516a0ae3a0.jpg

Thanks to @Point Five I picked up a great Australian comic today with both local and professional links for me. More once it arrives...

I've wanted one of these for years, and finally landed one in a heritage auction. I'm not planning to collect all of the MMMs (or maybe not even any more) but this one fits quite well with the war bond 'spirit of 76' covers I have. What I didn't realise is just how big these guys were - it only just fits into a magazine size mylar.

MMM_4_10.thumb.jpg.e39e65a12fc3829c53b72b6937bec139.jpg

And here's the back cover: an ad for a Donald Duck short I don't think I've ever seen.

MMM_4_10_back.thumb.jpg.b66154bcec5854ee4d39b35505cf8ab4.jpg

20 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

Well there's no excuse for that now!

Funnily enough, I now realise that I have seen that one many years ago - I remember the scene with the ants. Thanks Harry! (thumbsu 

While I'm here, this also recently arrived:

WDCS_036.thumb.jpg.252932b6cd541d40e1b4c15482d720d2.jpg

A lovely solid copy of this book, with great pages. And the first appearance of ... Clarabelle Cow's Cousin Bertie...  Bertie first appeared (once) in a Pluto strip in 1940, waiting three years for this chance to shine. He also features in a story in #37, and makes a brief appearance in a text story five years later... never to be seen again in an English language book.

WDCS_036_int.thumb.jpg.2734ff2cc0190ae5f7530acc4a3d7fa3.jpg

This is cool though: an ad inside the front cover for an hour-long animated short "Victory through air power":

WDCS_036_int_2.thumb.jpg.7bab0d3ea50f754987fb668e4e2b55a5.jpg

(Sorry about the fuzziness, but I didn't want to stress the single staple by squashing the book flat!) You can watch the (mis-titled) film below - the Disney film begins at 22:30 after a slightly bizarre intro - and read about it here.

Cousin Bertie? Is there a movie deal in the wind?

Lovely book Andrew, beautiful solid cover colours and that ad has a faint "art deco" feel to it.

I am also pleased to see yet another confusing Duck cover. Donald marooned on a pole in the middle of what seems to be a lake. How will he escape this dangerous predicament?

Well, there is a reason that the expression "like a duck to water" is considered a cliche.

I'm considering starting a run at covers that, in a variety of ways, ignore the fact that Donald and his relatives are ducks. And don't get me started on Donald and the boys eating turkey at Thanksgiving or putting pants on to go swimming :pullhair:

Edited by Duffman_Comics
Another revelatory reflection.

Another day, another duck. Hopefully Donald painting a fence won't set off a #bizarrerant about non-anatine behaviour (backs away from @Duffman_Comics, avoiding eye contact).

As you all know, I've been collecting WDC&S 1-100. But if I see a chance to grab a nice copy of a higher number at the right price I'll do that too. This one fits the (duck) bill.

WDCS_162.thumb.jpg.e2ff36a01d0e28f7c44cfb6a4ce68b25.jpg

Here's the back cover Wheaties ad, with a photo of basketball player and possibly distant relative Bob Davies. Is it just me, or does Bob look about 103 in that picture?

WDCS_162_back.thumb.jpg.fd48a1f17580c7ef76a30f911c5d0cb0.jpg

We had "Weeties" in Australia, and the packs often had premiums, including plastic toys, comic books (like the US Cheerios editions) or trading cards. Here's a Batman card from 1966.

59c37c9616291_weeties_batmancards.thumb.jpg.e3a955935cbbb6616762d2a8974380a1.jpg

1 hour ago, AJD said:

non-anatine beahaviour

A terrific start, nailing the somewhat esoteric "duck" reference and then all is undone with a huge lack of attention  to the spelling of "behaviour".

Yes, my American cousins, my example is the way it should be spelt.

Now you have chosen to hashtag my considered offering as "#bizarrerant". Really.

Wait until we really meet up. Then there will be some "eye contact". :baiting:

2 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

A terrific start, nailing the somewhat esoteric "duck" reference and then all is undone with a huge lack of attention  to the spelling of "behaviour".

Dang it - didn't proof read well enough. I noticed the red squiggly "typo lines" but assumed it was just because I'd put the British/Australian English "u" in there.

Which reminds me... Australians spell "colour" thusly - or do we?

59c39dea20f41_WDCS_031.thumb.jpg.92cfe890a85f87da9c948018fc2e32ab.jpg

I'd vaguely puzzled about that anomaly, and was talking to an old dude (TM) recently, who told me that there was a flurry of enthusiasm for a move to American spelling after the end of WW2. The Disney books would seem to be a prime vehicle for such a move - hence (I'm guessing) the spelling on this April 1949 book.

See you in Phil's parking lot @Duffman_Comics lol

I can't recall the last time I upgraded a book in my collection, but this VF Piracy #5 was headed for too low a price on Heritage to resist.

Piracy_5.thumb.jpg.6df61e2cb36a3937c827c826f2f3ed82.jpg

Here's a fun Jack Davis drawn "house ad" for the New Direction titles. I have all issues of all of the titles except for Extra. I have one issue (#4) - it has an excellent cover, but it's a pretty dull read.

Piracy_5_int.thumb.jpg.dcc8329a9cf8ae19d584f4e39c9ed790.jpg