• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Point Five said:
On 10/19/2017 at 1:47 PM, AJD said:

I have to say I can't get too enthused about that - the figure in the foreground framed by the ammo feed is great, but given the proximity of the enemy fighter, there's no way that scene doesn't end with a mid-air collision about a quarter of a second later. There are a lot of Wings covers I can't bring myself to collect for the same reason - either a crash into the ground or a collision is inevitable given the 'pose'. See Wings 27 , 35, 48 and 59 for a few examples (there are many others). At least #20 gets it right!

Comics may not be for you.  :baiting:

lol Well, maybe not those ones. I'm totes down with talking ducks and all sorts of silliness. I think it's a product of seeing many hundreds of accurate paintings of aviation subjects on model kit boxtops that caused this particular pathology.

I bought this late Jungle from MCS a few weeks ago. I try to collect FH covers that aren't replicated on Australian editions. No doubt Kaanga is thinking 'that pentadactyl cat is unnatural - I must skewer its mutant paw with this arrow'.

Jungle_152.thumb.jpg.b88f929e210e6c36724c5c1980b41cf6.jpg

Then I bought this Australian edition. I bought it sight unseen (kind of old school dealer) and didn't know what it looked like because it wasn't in the GCD cover gallery then (it is now). Oh well...

Jungle_27_Australian.thumb.jpg.8842794ccf188348363b749a0a398e5a.jpg

Another book from the same dealer. I had no idea what it looked like until it turned up. The cover is from the US edition Jumbo #125. I don't know what those spotted animals are meant to be - one is drawn like a cat (leopard?), the other like a dog (hyena?).

In fact, I think that most of that RH animal is a local addition to the original artwork. Looking at some other US book scans, the word 'HELP' spelled out in sticks on the ground has been removed, and the most of the dog/cat on the right added. The book is about 1cm wider than the US print, which probably explains the add-ons. (Though not why the lettering was removed.)

Nonetheless, I like it. :)

I should give @Marwood & I a big shout out here. I posted a WTB ad for Australian pre-decimal comics. I didn't expect anything to come of it, but it costs nothing to try, right? Well, M&I suggested I try a dealer in London. Two weeks later, a nice bundle of seven comics turned up. This one and the Jungle in the previous post are two of them. Nice call (thumbsu

large.Jumbo_31_Australian.jpg.64e77a853ebcb83694ca5203e4db0da0.jpg

9 hours ago, AJD said:

Another book from the same dealer. I had no idea what it looked like until it turned up. The cover is from the US edition Jumbo #125. I don't know what those spotted animals are meant to be - one is drawn like a cat (leopard?), the other like a dog (hyena?).

In fact, I think that most of that RH animal is a local addition to the original artwork. Looking at some other US book scans, the word 'HELP' spelled out in sticks on the ground has been removed, and the most of the dog/cat on the right added. The book is about 1cm wider than the US print, which probably explains the add-ons. (Though not why the lettering was removed.)

Nonetheless, I like it. :)

I should give @Marwood & I a big shout out here. I posted a WTB ad for Australian pre-decimal comics. I didn't expect anything to come of it, but it costs nothing to try, right? Well, M&I suggested I try a dealer in London. Two weeks later, a nice bundle of seven comics turned up. This one and the Jungle in the previous post are two of them. Nice call (thumbsu

You're welcome @AJD - glad they had some books for you. Are there any particular books you are hunting that you can never find? I could always keep an eye out

Another day, another drawn out release of my latest package of books, all the better to torture the impatient @Duffman_Comics.

The London dealer had a list of American books as well, and this one seemed like pretty good value, so I grabbed it as well. I'm still not sure if I'm collecting the SSS run, though it's looking more and more likely. :D

large.SSS_14.jpg.548323296f2c71a9cc3fc1a2c41c8e1e.jpg

Hello. Wot's this email from the Boards?

Like Betelgeuse, only without the repetitions.

Now that's a comic book. If you are not a condition "nut" these are pretty available and affordable - with the exception of the very desirable #6 - the KKK issue. It's interesting that "back in the day" the #12 was considered the star of the run (the "Monkey" drug story and cover) but seems to have lost favour in the last thirty years.

What is great about EC's is that the stories are generally top notch.

We interrupt your regularly scheduled program of dribbling the 'Brit books' out one-by-one to bring you another EC that arrived today. Another one from the SSS series that I might (or might not) be collecting. An amazingly effective cover by Wally Wood on this one, who manages to show both the victim and the driver in a believable way. And I think these figures both have a bit more animation than Wood's usual 'statuesque' poses.

large.SSS_4.jpg.97bbeeee0d93125226f978094c9d00d2.jpg

That makes 4/18 for me - and one more sitting in a box in Georgia waiting to come this way, courtesy of one @edowens71. Hmm, that will be 5/18 - that's almost a third of the way there. Well, dang. lol

22 minutes ago, AJD said:

We interrupt your regularly scheduled program of dribbling the 'Brit books' out one-by-one to bring you another EC that arrived today. Another one from the SSS series that I might (or might not) be collecting. An amazingly effective cover by Wally Wood on this one, who manages to show both the victim and the driver in a believable way. And I think these figures both have a bit more animation than Wood's usual 'statuesque' poses.

large.SSS_4.jpg.97bbeeee0d93125226f978094c9d00d2.jpg

That makes 4/18 for me - and one more sitting in a box in Georgia waiting to come this way, courtesy of one @edowens71. Hmm, that will be 5/18 - that's almost a third of the way there. Well, dang. lol

I like the sparse use of red colouring on our unfortunate lady here - lipstick, hat, bag, earrings. There'll be more red inside once he's run her over a few times I shouldn't wonder...:wink:

Now, back to Brit dribbling please @AJD (thumbsu

23 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Now, back to Brit dribbling please (thumbsu

Cor lummy, everyone wants to see the "books from Blighty". Fine, here's another one then. Fantastic colours on this one (and another pentadactyl cat - though only on one paw?):

large.Kaanga_25_Australian.jpg.ab4adff2bb99eea45271d317e2ee5c19.jpg

6 hours ago, AJD said:

Cor lummy, everyone wants to see the "books from Blighty". Fine, here's another one then. Fantastic colours on this one (and another pentadactyl cat - though only on one paw?):

That was all the claws in his contract would allow @AJD. Ha ha, ha ha ha lol

Sorry. :blush:

45 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Did Jungle Comics transpose into Kaanga Comics or vice versa?

Jungle was first by some years.

45 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

I must admit to never seeing any in Britain but then again I don't get out much. If I do I'll give you a heads up.

(thumbsu Thank you!

Still a couple of books from the UK batch to post. Again, bought sight unseesn, and nothing (then) in the GCD to check it against. Judging by the covers around it, I was pretty sure that Rangers #24 would have an aircraft cover. Indeed it did - from the Fiction House title Jet Aces.

large.Rangers_24_Australian.jpg.b880c625b07f1712c814053bb56e7544.jpg

While I was looking up Fiction House titles, I came across one I didn't know of, called War Birds. Aha! #2 is where this previously unplaced (by me) cover came from:

Rangers_Oz_25.thumb.jpg.bc16010356df786e63810ea2a833ef60.jpg

The last of the Brit books. When I saw 'Planet Stories #4' in the catalogue I thought I'd get one of these. I even asked in my email 'what volume is this from'? The seller seems to have ignored that - probably didn't understand my confusion - and sent... this:

Planet_Stories_UK_4.thumb.jpg.0b34461759cf7540a770dd1981acda1b.jpg

Humm. Not what I expected. It turns out that this series is the third or fourth round of UK FH Planet reprints. Still, it wasn't without a little interest. Given my model building hobby, finding a 1961 Airfix ad on the back cover was kind of cool:

Planet_Stories_UK_4_back.thumb.jpg.416270c8e4f586ae24a408324809c46e.jpg

And according to the GCD, it reprints stories from Planet #3 and #38.

The printing quality isn't great though. here's the splash from the Mysta story from Planet #38:

Planet_Stories_UK_4_int.thumb.jpg.24079cfc47c662071cafe7dbd7d09b00.jpg

Oh well, live and learn. One of the pitfalls of buying from a list with no scans of the books.

I bought something dumb in a recent MCS auction (coming soon to a thread near you), but the transaction was redeemed by a couple of books I found in their catalogue. The SSS #4 above was one of them. This was the other.

Rangers_34.thumb.jpg.291431184eea919a6a584702efe1f6cf.jpg

This book has content that goes from the sublime...

Rangers_34_int.thumb.jpg.fe03c15839fa3a6ce85011612e7bb544.jpg

... to the, err, not so sublime. I haven't seen this sort of thing in a FH book before. I haven't missed it.

Rangers_34_int2.thumb.jpg.ee80d5a4cedff5fcfe5aade92cfbf1f8.jpg

And have I ever mentioned that I love the tight grading @mycomicshop ? Satisfied customer here.