• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

Planet Stories 4 Wow, I think that's the worst printing I've ever seen in a comic. There was obviously no QC department at Atlas.

Rangers Comics 34 Impressive drawstring action from the cute bobbed brunette and a welcome return for under the covers. (worship)

And thanks for the info about MCS, I've been tempted a few times but have never bought from them. Your recommendation may sway the balance towards a purchase in the future.

FROM THE AJD VAULTS - Part 1

Something new for this thread. I'm going to stop with new listings for a little while, and take you short box diving through some of my favourite comics. There are a few offbeat things in my boxes that I think I'd like to share.

Let's start with my one of my favourite comics ever, from 1998.

Tracker_1.thumb.jpg.4498fc2062c1429d213a252a7afcf79c.jpg

William Van Horn was appearing in Disney comics at the time, and I loved his loose artwork and slapstick sense of story telling. So when I saw this in the LCS, it was a no brainer.

Prepare for Carl Barks meets Raymond Chandler. This is the splash - actually it's p2, the first page being the setup for the murder case. This page introduces our hero, and also does some foreshadowing of what's to come later.

Tracker_1_p2.thumb.jpg.62f1b4e0db0f21b71c4a334ff0e03acd.jpg

This is a great read, and Van Horn was obviously enjoying working without the limits set by Disney. Some nice art, good writing (and more foreshadowing) here:

Tracker_1p12.thumb.jpg.d8e64ac78dcdc0593215190bc9b1887f.jpg

You can buy this comic for next to nothing, and you should.

Next: Tracker #2, in which there is a marked change of direction and the foreshadowing is explained.

13 minutes ago, AJD said:

Something new for this thread. I'm going to stop with new listings for a little while, and take you short box diving through some of my favourite comics. There are a few offbeat things in my boxes that I think I'd like to share.

Tracker_1.thumb.jpg.4498fc2062c1429d213a252a7afcf79c.jpg

William Van Horn was appearing in Disney comics at the time, and I loved his loose artwork and slapstick sense of story telling. So when I saw this in the LCS, it was a no brainer.

Prepare for Carl Barks meets Raymond Chandler. This is the splash - actually it's p2, the first page being the setup for the murder case. This page introduces our hero, and also does some foreshadowing of what's to come later.

Tracker_1_p2.thumb.jpg.62f1b4e0db0f21b71c4a334ff0e03acd.jpg

This is a great read, and Van Horn was obviously enjoying working without the limits set by Disney. Some nice art, good writing (and more foreshadowing) here:

Next: Tracker #2, in which there is a marked change of direction and the foreshadowing is explained.

You've got to have confidence to go for such a simple cover like that. I love it. The self effacing story so far has me hooked too. Can you post all of it @AJD? I know it's only $1.70 but I can't wait that long to get it!

33 minutes ago, AJD said:

Christal? Vageries? Truely?

I know it's impossible to spell check hand lettered pages, but three on the single shown here really puts me off reading the thing. It is too distracting. /rant

22 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

I know it's impossible to spell check hand lettered pages, but three on the single shown here really puts me off reading the thing. It is too distracting. /rant

Chrystal :baiting:

36 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

I'm glad you liked it. :sorry: 

23 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

You've got to have confidence to go for such a simple cover like that. I love it. The self effacing story so far has me hooked too. Can you post all of it @AJD? I know it's only $1.70 but I can't wait that long to get it!

You know, I actually set out to do it for you, but it's taking a while and I need to do some other things. I've uploaded the first 7 pages here. I'll do the rest as time allows.

@Duffman_Comicsmight want to avert his gaze. There are a few more 'spellos' in there. I had assumed that Mr Van Horn was a Europe-based non-native English speaker, but that isn't the case. So, yeah, it's a bit careless. Funny thing is that I worked as an editor for a while, and was pretty good at picking up spelling and grammatical errors, but when I read for pleasure I manage to switch that off - that way lies madness! Now I found myself looking for errors in Tracker #2 when I re-read it last night. (There are a few.)  :sorry: 

Gee, this plan to share my favourites is going well...

OK, gritted teeth and cinched belt checked I sallied into the narrative - and it is quite good.

Touch of Breathed's "Bill the Cat" * thpppt*, a joke about fish reproduction allegedly composed by WC Fields and I am interested enough to wonder how it turns out.

Happy Andrew? :baiting:

Edited by Duffman_Comics
Not Telling

4 hours ago, AJD said:

You know, I actually set out to do it for you, but it's taking a while and I need to do some other things. I've uploaded the first 7 pages here. I'll do the rest as time allows.

Cheers! No hurry, I read slow (thumbsu

4 hours ago, AJD said:

Gee, this plan to share my favourites is going well...

One look at the Miller thread will tell you that's the norm my friend :sorry:

Onwards now, to Tracker #2. You will have noticed that Tracker is a "detective comic", right? Well, we all know what happens to detective comics. They start out being about detectives, and then the guys in tights turn up 27 issues in. This time we only had to wait until #2, though the detective wasn't altogether happy about it!

Tracker_2.thumb.jpg.a47ca536c0c45ed8df5cc7d8573f5eb9.jpg

Tracker_2_p3.thumb.jpg.227bebf7082fdeea755227e9f4664b0c.jpg

Tracker is all set up to pull off the biggest bust of his career... until 'Super Salad' turns up and spoils the fun:

Tracker_2_p4.thumb.jpg.c9c90a6cf1bd9004db1d80cbfd5bc53b.jpg

This issue is hilarious. After many adventures, including being fished out of the ocean by a most amusing Aquaman parody, Tracker finally gets some revenge at the end. I love the Clark Kent look here:

Tracker_2_p26.thumb.jpg.b9e1363d858fda92ce45093e6ff1f4fc.jpg

Tracker_2_p27.thumb.jpg.3b6198efe6d43ba27fdde50bae73768a.jpg

And the last page tells us where this series is going next. Having done detective/crime comics, then superheroes, the next in line is...

Tracker_2_p28.thumb.jpg.fac218c847ece88f0f8fd345621ae6b9.jpg

... funny animals! That should be a lot of fun, right? Well, alas, apparently I am the only person on the planet who bought and loved these books, because you can still buy them from just about any big dealer for under $2, despite small print runs. And #3 and #4 were never printed. I am officially sad about that.

Next from the AJD archives: another 1980s B&W favourite animal character parody/drama.

Wow Andrew - I hadn't realised you had lost so many pics!

Especially the Wings "Aussie style" issues.

If I may, I'd like to add 2 comics to your thread.

The first one - I will pay almost anything within reason to get a copy of this book - I had it once, and sold it as a package to a USA overseas collector. The biggest regret of my comic collecting journey.

daredevil.jpg.83d076bd159c55f02a76a896728bfc7f.jpg

Yes, Australia's own Daredevil #1.  This one will haunt me for the rest of my life..

The next is one of Australia's oldest comics, and is not often seen. I don't think I have posted it on here before. Picked it up at an auction. Better condition, and I would have sent it off to be slabbed, but the whole spine is split and the rust has caused some bad staining.

Ben Bowyang #1 from 1937

5a0fc06f53cf1_benbowyang.thumb.jpg.6e0395f0725844f047e5a8892a0dda49.jpg

I hope you don't mind me posting Andrew, but I haven't been on the boards too often lately to see that a lot of your wonderful threads had 'poofed'.

PM me if you want me to delete anything - it's your thread!

Edited by Beige

Hey Andy, nice to hear from you again! No worries about posting some pictures here - happy to see someone else post some Australian books.

This thread shouldn't be too bad pics wise. I went through and reloaded all of the ones I could edit. The GA forum Australian and war bonds threads are pretty sad though, and I plan to update those over the summer.

You can see a bunch of my Aussie comics in my gallery.

I'll keep an eye out for the Daredevil. I noticed there were some Australian marvel reprints listed on eBay today, like this nice Sub Mariner #1.

18 hours ago, Beige said:

Wow Andrew - I hadn't realised you had lost so many pics!

Especially the Wings "Aussie style" issues.

If I may, I'd like to add 2 comics to your thread.

The first one - I will pay almost anything within reason to get a copy of this book - I had it once, and sold it as a package to a USA overseas collector. The biggest regret of my comic collecting journey.

daredevil.jpg.83d076bd159c55f02a76a896728bfc7f.jpg

Yes, Australia's own Daredevil #1.  This one will haunt me for the rest of my life..

I wish I'd kept this one too. 

5a10c09455b1e_staus5.thumb.JPG.0c74e34a12ad2a7716eb73222bb6eafc.JPG