• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

Also it's completely unnecessary, we can see he is falling. Unlike the top left panel of the workmen where unless it's stated we wouldn't know there was "hoofbeats comin' over the ridge".

The Golden Age guys took a while to learn the basics of visual story telling. It was common to see a caption "The Batman runs across the road" on a picture of ... er... Batman running across the road. By the time Stan Lee was writing silver age Marvels, there was no excuse!

1 minute ago, AJD said:

The Golden Age guys took a while to learn the basics of visual story telling. It was common to see a caption "The Batman runs across the road" on a picture of ... er... Batman running across the road. By the time Stan Lee was writing silver age Marvels, there was no excuse!

My favourite was the "no....air.....can't. ...breathe......must....conserve....energy.....must.....keep.....talking......"

2 minutes ago, AJD said:

I suppose old habits were hard to break and Stan was too busy coming up with innovative characterisation (for the time) to be avant-garde in other areas.

OK, I still haven't got around to all of the books I've purchased recently. I've been saving a few for the right time. Which is now, apparently.

As followers of this august journal would know by now, I'm a big fan of the Australian Planet Comics series. But that series started with covers from the US editions that began with numbers in the 60s. I have plenty of US copies that predate that, but the early Planets are generally more expensive than I'm interested in paying. Enter the 1951 UK series, which feature early Planet Comics covers, and are nice thick square bound books with lots of stories in them. I bought these in a private sale, and deciding on what was a reasonable price was next to impossible, because there is no public sales data I could find. But seller and buyer were happy, and I'm very pleased to have them. Here's #1, with a cover from the US #19.

Planet_1_UK.thumb.jpg.5527e6a6472904ad3195cfffdeded8e5.jpg

3 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Colour interiors?

B&W, with red highlights on the splash pages of each story. Nice paper stock too. Thanks for reminding me that I forgot the UTC shot. I didn't want to scan this because of the square binding, so this will have to do:

UK_Planet_1_int.thumb.jpg.19204afa252a17f56a3bdb3f77763701.jpg

On 10/04/2018 at 10:10 AM, AJD said:

I pulled this out of a "$4 each" box in an antique store on the weekend. Not high grade, but I like it.

large.Prince_Valiant_9.jpg.05dd84fcb20f275227480d8573e9641a.jpg

Hal Foster throughout. :cloud9:

Is the blue missing in the p hole a printing error? I like printing errors. And look, I got to say 'p hole' in a legitimate context :)

5 hours ago, AJD said:

OK, I still haven't got around to all of the books I've purchased recently. I've been saving a few for the right time. Which is now, apparently.

As followers of this august journal would know by now, I'm a big fan of the Australian Planet Comics series. But that series started with covers from the US editions that began with numbers in the 60s. I have plenty of US copies that predate that, but the early Planets are generally more expensive than I'm interested in paying. Enter the 1951 UK series, which feature early Planet Comics covers, and are nice thick square bound books with lots of stories in them. I bought these in a private sale, and deciding on what was a reasonable price was next to impossible, because there is no public sales data I could find. But seller and buyer were happy, and I'm very pleased to have them. Here's #1, with a cover from the US #19.

Is it me, or has our captured lass here got multiple nipples? She looks like a cow hm

20 hours ago, AJD said:

Just have to pop in and say AMAZING!If you haven't noticed with all my likes,I love following your journal.I have two Canadian Planets i'll have to post sometime.

And @Artboy99 have you seen these? 

Thanks for all the sharing AJD!

1 hour ago, porcupine48 said:

Just have to pop in and say AMAZING!If you haven't noticed with all my likes,I love following your journal.I have two Canadian Planets i'll have to post sometime.

And @Artboy99 have you seen these? 

Thanks for all the sharing AJD!

I have never seen either of those!

Daddy wants :cloud9:

22 hours ago, AJD said:

I love this book!