• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

More ducks today. Well, strictly speaking a large and eccentric chicken and some ducks. Another Gyro Gearloose Four Color - in fact the last of four GGFCs for me. There's one more one-shot (which is 'missing four color' #1329, from memory) which I'll try to run to ground as well.

four_color_1047_zps5icp9zqj.jpg

Here's an 'under the covers' special, in which Barks masterfully turns a sequence into a slapstick silent comedy. Donald has asked Gyro to produce a device to cancel out any noise HD&L make. Strange as it might seem, all does not go smoothly. A small fire breaks out and the device malfunctions. Hilarity ensues:

four_color_1047_int1_zpsblgzbnah.jpg

four_color_1047_int2_zpsxodbcw3c.jpg

four_color_1047_int3_zpsad040hro.jpg

I love these stories - and bought the Danish deluxe equivalent of The Complete Carl Barks Disney Library - 30 big hardcover books in total for $3k back then - Vol 1 (3 books) can be seen here:

Carl_Barks_samlade_verk_zpsg6xktgca.jpg

Now I've read these 6000 pages for my 8-year-old son Julius, we had a lot of fun doing that :) But now my 4-year-old son is starting to show some interest in such stories too - and I'm beginning to wonder, do I have to read these 6000 pages again? :ohnoez:

Surely this is a rhetorical question.

Of course you do. You'll enjoy revisiting the stories and the boy will both enjoy the yarns and improve his reading skills immeasurably.

KUDOS to you for buying what must have been an expensive library. :applause:

I wish I'd done the same with the English versions back in the day. :cry:

Surely this is a rhetorical question.

Of course you do. You'll enjoy revisiting the stories and the boy will both enjoy the yarns and improve his reading skills immeasurably.

KUDOS to you for buying what must have been an expensive library. :applause:

I wish I'd done the same with the English versions back in the day. :cry:

I did buy the English editions. I read them right through with my daughter, who remains a duck fan to this day. :cloud9:

My son wasn't so interested - except for colouring in a few pages in one of the volumes with crayons. :cry:

The Inner Completist Strikes Back

Despite having complete runs of Weird Science, Weird Fantasy and Incredible Science Fiction, I only had six of the seven issues of Weird Science Fantasy. The classic Frazetta cover on #29 never did all that much for me, and with the premium it attracts in the marketplace, I thought I was just going to live without it.

But browsing eBay recently, the following inner dialogue took place:

AJD: Ooo, a WSF 29 from a local seller

Inner completist: you know, you really need one of those

AJD: meh, overrated for the price

IC: So, you're gonna have 54 of EC's 55 sci-fi comics?

AJD: Seems so

IC: You know that's not true, don't you?

AJD:Fine, let me show you. This one's, what, a 3.0 or so, and it's $180 bucks.

IC: Yeah, but check Heritage results - that mightn't be too bad, and don't forget that's Australian dollars, not real money

AJD: OK, here's a 3.0 that sold for US$191 recently.

IC: Aha!! Look at it - big creases over the Frazetta artwork and some fugly spine creasing. This one keeps its flaws away from the main image and is US$60 cheaper.

AJD: Fine, then. If I buy it will you shut up?

IC: Yep.

IC: Now, about those EC sci-fi annuals

AJD: SHUT UP. I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALALALALALALA

WSF_29.thumb.jpg.cbf7bd7f06d62781ce466b50d45573c5.jpg

Darned if that cover isn't growing on me now! lol

OK, back to the Australian Golden Age comics now. Until three weeks ago I didn't know there was at least one Australian issue of Captain Science. It doesn't appear on the Oz reprints site, and I can't recall ever seeing one. This one is via eBay Canada. This is #1, with the cover from the US #2.

Captain_Science_1_Oz.thumb.jpg.456ddabf26716f8c342c2c944215aaf1.jpg

I'm coming to appreciate the black and white interiors, especially in the oversize issues. The art work is easier to appreciate without the often muddy four colours of the time.

Captain_Science_1_Oz_int1.thumb.jpg.7ea40d97a9ca239ec2d07a587f1d1d12.jpg

Another day, another Australian Fiction House reprint. This one features a (probably locally drawn) cover with... err... I'm not entirely sure, but it has a helicopter and nude dude on a zebra, so there's that. I can't wait to read this one and find out WTH is going on there! lol

Wings_4_Oz.thumb.jpg.273a03cfbc7fb62f8ecf2562865686b4.jpg

Like the amps in Spinal Tap, the Australian run of Wings went to 11, though #11 seems to have been a straight reprint of #8! That's not too unusual for Australian comics of the time - seems to have been a case of 'grab what's handy and print it'!

Another day, another Australian Fiction House reprint. This one features a (probably locally drawn) cover with... err... I'm not entirely sure, but it has a helicopter and nude dude on a zebra, so there's that. I can't wait to read this one and find out WTH is going on there! lol

Wings_4_Oz_zpsp2iqkswq.jpg

Like the amps in Spinal Tap, the Australian run of Wings went to 11, though #11 seems to have been a straight reprint of #8! That's not too unusual for Australian comics of the time - seems to have been a case of 'grab what's handy and print it'!

Loving the down under gold. Of my small foreign comics collection most are Australian editions. They have a unique charm. Great books , the headlight Captain Science is cool, but the bizzaro Wings cover .. ^^ Edited by Sagii

Wings_4_Oz_zpsp2iqkswq.jpg

lol I can't let this one through to the 'keeper without comment.

Let's start with the helicopter. Strange looking machine made a lot stranger by the peculiar perspective.

RCMP dude (sans lemon squeezer hat) is grasping at the chopper's ladder, thus placing that "obelisk" between him and the helicopter.

Pretty close if one was to ask me. Helluva brave pilot. Onward.

The "obelisk". That's some fancy piece of engineering and architecture right there. Must be the model for the tower at Pisa. I especially appreciate the tasteful application of the Fiction House bullet.

I'm going to gloss over the black and yellow zebra. Artistic license by the colourist or an accident. Who cares. Bigger fish to fry. Though I will point out that zebras are not suited for domestication ala horses.

Which brings me to the jockey of said zebra. Naked as the day he was born, bar the "beanie". No saddle or, more importantly, stirrups. Unless he is built like Barbie's boyfriend, that has got to be uncomfortable. Seems to be surrounded by an aura or "glow" too. "Cloak of Invisibility" to avoid embarrassment?

He seems to have "high tech" head gear but when it comes to weaponry, he's gone very down range. Unless I am missing something which is par for the course.

The other dead eyed natives. One (at least) gets clothes. Their beanies are very low rent. In training to move up? Or maybe the shiny one is like the family car. "Dad can I borrow the hat tonight please"?

Stay tuned for further observations . . .

Friday was a good day - not only did it foreshadow the weekend, but a big box o' comicy goodness landed on my desk during the day. A big shout out to Point Five for this - he has allowed comics I've bought from States based sellers to accumulate at his place all year, then bundled them up and sent them in one wonderful package. Thanks Jon - you're good people! (thumbsu

Let me start slowly with this one. The last of the Gyro Four Colors (stricly this is a 'missing' Four Color, but the indicia shows that it's #1329):

FC_1329.thumb.jpg.e33b9ef27c2f69989891b1f6396863bd.jpg

Much more to follow ...

OK, let me get this one out of the way. The Inner Completist has been at me again, this time to finish off the Mad 1-23 run, which meant I had to buy this:

Mad_11.thumb.jpg.f13deb60088db9523e2419855b02ed59.jpg

I know this book has an important role in the development of comic art, being the inspiration for a young Robert Crumb (who I do have time for). But to me it's a case of 'a Wolverton drawing of an ugly woman!' meh

To be fair, there's some fun stuff in Mad #11 (even if there are six - count 'em - more pages of Wolverton charicatures in there as well). Wood's Flesh Garden is my favourite:

zMad_11.thumb.jpg.8a0e7747a50358530cbd79c550c6e22c.jpg

The seller*, who knew my opinion of the Mad cover and is obviously a sadist, decided to include a freebie with the purchase. What did he choose...? You guessed it - a book with TWO Wolverton ugly women on the cover. OK, I deserved that. lol

Panic_04.thumb.jpg.daffd7c45bdd34ced24f0e2385c4fb60.jpg

There were also a few books from the same source that I was much more excited about. Next time for those.

*I'll let him be anonymous. Let's just call him 'Ed Doe', or perhaps 'John Owens'.