• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, AJD said:

This just in - a Disney war stamps album!

466959770_WarSavingschestcover.thumb.jpg.15f787f467d17fdd582e07a4f3065070.jpg

Back cover:

1813547381_WarSavingschestbackcover.thumb.jpg.c1bfcc1985bdb4aca582ba9b6fb0719b.jpg

And a page to stick your war stamps:

180311004_WarSavingschestinsidebackcover.thumb.jpg.7f3ed5c6c7c972c010612c55bc629d96.jpg

I also bid on some war stamps but missed out. But there are quite a few around and they aren't especially expensive, so I'll get some at some stage.

Pleased to note you got it. Couple of points .

For those unfamiliar with the Oz national flag, it actually has a field of dark blue. The "red"  one depicted is the naval ensign. Minor point but worth clearing up any confusion.

I was going to ask what the sign behind Snow White's dwarves might have been, but now I think it's just a loose interpretation of a War Stamp.

And let me get this straight. "Fill all the above spaces with Sixpenny War Savings Stamps and ..... it will  be exchanged for a One Pound War Savings Certificate".

There are 32 spaces, 32 x 6d = 16/- (4 shillings short of a pound). So on maturity, I get a Pound for my 16 bob. Any idea when the bonds matured?

Last point (for now) I like the twee way that "6d will buy three rounds of small arms ammunition and can, therefore, save lives of  three Australian soldiers". Yes, by killing the enemy. Oh, and until now I don't think I have ever seen a hand grenade described as a defensive weapon.

3 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

For those unfamiliar with the Oz national flag, it actually has a field of dark blue. The "red"  one depicted is the naval ensign. Minor point but worth clearing up any confusion.

Not so - the red ensign was used by state and federal governments until 1924, but continued to be widely used afterwards. The preeminence of the blue field dates from the 1950s. In between there was a period where both flags were widely used. Australian forces in WW2 deployed under both. My uncle recalls his army unit flying the red ensign, for example. It became a naval flag later.

6 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

And let me get this straight. "Fill all the above spaces with Sixpenny War Savings Stamps and ..... it will  be exchanged for a One Pound War Savings Certificate".

There are 32 spaces, 32 x 6d = 16/- (4 shillings short of a pound). So on maturity, I get a Pound for my 16 bob. Any idea when the bonds matured?

I noticed that too. I don't know when the bonds matured, or even if they did. There were war bonds issued in other countries that were later reneged on by government due to austerity. I'll have to see what happened here.

7 minutes ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Oh, and until now I don't think I have ever seen a hand grenade described as a defensive weapon.

An anti-personnel grenade can be a last ditch defence when at risk of being overrun. Antony Beevors excellent book on Arnhem contains an example where British troops used grenades to repel a German force trying to storm a house they occupied. They also make good booby traps to help cover a retreat, like my grandfather did at Gallipoli.

3 hours ago, AJD said:

789862025_WarSavingschestinsidefrontcover.thumb.jpg.e4f69a11d4648646c7c4af20ca116acc.jpg

"Did you hear what he called you?"

"I sure did"

"Shall we smash his face in then?"

"Kin right"

And with that, I'm going to wrap up this thread. For a variety of reasons I'm not really feeling it as much these days, and American comics are now pretty much out of my reach given recent currency movements. I'll continue to post items in other threads from time to time - the one here might end up in the war bonds thread, for example - but I just won't have as much volume to sustain it's own thread. As they say in Australian classics, I'll see you 'round like a rissole.

We'll miss you Andy. Your thread is a rare glimmer of class amongst the dross of the CGC boards (or all of Marwood's threads as they're sometimes called). Stay safe buddy and thanks for all the pictorial fun <3

On 3/25/2020 at 6:37 AM, AJD said:

Finally, here's an interior page, complete with axis wolves:

1229077947_WarSavingschestinside2.thumb.jpg.493e99a98d4f5e1760b1f37c19625b0d.jpg

A vicious slur! The Big Bad Wolf was never a Nazi. Just because he dressed like a hillbilly doesn't mean he wasn't a decent animal.

Big_Bad_Wolf.png?width=1920&height=1080&

rantrant

Edited by Hepcat

On 1/24/2020 at 10:52 PM, Duffman_Comics said:

I cannot let this one go unobserved. Caterpillar treads on a submarine? That'll do wonders for the underwater hydrodynamic profile. Unless they're retractable. Even then, so I have managed to get a submarine onto land and move about. So what? What possible arms can I use without opening up the hatch and allowing the crew to be picked off one by one. It's a very small hatch. Just ludicrous.

A guided missile on a submarine? Spot on. Wait. They don't have propellers. Or wings.  Which would be useless flying at stratospheric altitudes. Very thin air. "The motor cuts out and the missile homes in on target". Ummm, that's not the way it works. The "V2" had that design feature (as did the "V1" but it wasn't a rocket). 300 mile range? Woefully underestimated.

In essence got it right, missiles on subs, but everything else wrong.

Lastly, who wouldn't want to crew a submarine being launched into either orbit or sub-orbit. What an exciting landing.

All true, but you're missing the point. Commander Battle's Atomic Sub was still boss cool. Here's a scan of one from my collection:

CommanderBattle6.jpg

:smile:

Edited by Hepcat

On 3/16/2023 at 12:49 AM, FoggyNelson said:

Excellent journal to read sir👍‼️I am 1/50th the way through it

Thank you! I have toyed with the idea of rebooting it. hm

On 2/20/2020 at 4:23 PM, AJD said:

This is a book I have had on my wants list for my war bonds collection for at least five years. Finally the right copy came along.

large.1070079850_Batman15.jpg.c060ca6a06b990c39010758f470851cc.jpg

Here are a couple of the splash pages. I really like the bizarre Catwoman one.

1226989093_Jan312020002.thumb.JPG.d42683ba206dbe56e5ab73df0f488c07.JPG

572283890_Jan312020003.thumb.JPG.b48c7d713e740e9268631e8ed4ea30ea.JPG

There's an interesting "alternative world" story in this issue - what Batman and Robin's life would be like if the Nazis won WW2. I'll try to scan it from a reprint later.

Nice score! One of my favorite Batman issues. Yeah, weird Catwoman story and a cool Christmas story…:x

On 3/18/2023 at 9:54 AM, 1950&#x27;s war comics said:

here are some books up your alley AJD

Yep, love me some Dells. I have a gallery of several hundred of mine. I have some Australian reprints too