• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your collecting goals for 2014?

148 posts in this topic

For me, it'll definitely be a more subdued year in 2014 with so much of my want list demolished in 2013. A great Jack Kirby/Joe Sinnott FF example remains at the top of my remaining want list, and I wouldn't mind adding another Buscema SS page either. There are also two specific covers I'm targeting as well. If I can get those 4 items, that'll pretty much take care of my "core collection" want list and I'll just be buying opportunistically (targeting mostly specific high nostalgia items) going forward.

What are your goals for the new year? :popcorn:

There are also two specific covers I'm targeting as well.
Does that mean they are up for auction?

One is a cover that I've been trying to pry loose from its owner the past couple of years. Given that the owner was wobbling on it this year, I suspect he might finally let it go next year, but no guarantees. :wishluck: The other piece is something I also tried to pry loose unsuccessfully in the past, but know that the owner is now amenable to a sale and the wheels are in motion... hm

I'll be looking for a Tales of Suspense Iron Man page (hopefully twice up) and some more pages from Adi Granov Extremis.

I might pick up some various Avengers (with Iron Man panels) and Iron Man pages (bronze age) if possible too.

Try to stick to quality over quantity if I make <5 purchases next year I think i'll have stuck to that.

Too often I get the shiny quarter syndrome... I feel like I was much better in 2013, but I am hoping I am even better next year. I think last year I still wound up purchasing close to 40 pages.

Hopefully, this coming year will close on:

(in historical order)

1) Bat/Tec splash page by Don Newton [happily taking PMs on this one!]

2) receiving an iconic painted cover from late '80s, shipping in January

3) an early YTLM page w/ Ampersand

4) an interior page from Locke & Key

5) Star Wars cover from Hugh Fleming

6) splash page from The Wake

...along with a valiant attempt to finish out my high-grade Batman #201-300 set.

For 2014, I'm finally ready to acquire a decent Spidey piece (Romita, Ditko), something by Frank Brunner (Red Sonja, Dr. Strange), maybe Art Adams. A cool Star Wars piece. Anyone know who owns the cover art to the Marvel Inc. 1991 Annual Report (#1)...a personal grail?

While reluctant to sell before, I want to be more disciplined, ie, let 1 piece go for every 3-4 acquired to keep my collection manageable. Having enjoyed getting to know a few NYC collectors this past year, I'd like to connect with more Chicago folks in 2014. :wishluck:

Happy Holidays!

Get all of my art scanned and posted. :blush:

And finally get some art framed, dammit!

That's a good one! I want to get more of my art properly scanned and posted. Best part-- no cash out-of-pocket!

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Nothing specific. I am lying in wait, ready to pounce on some exquisite morsel that has yet to appear. :insane:

Yup, I've had that same goal the last several years. No specific wants...I just know it when I see it.

It goes along with the "draft the best available talent, rather than draft for need" baseball analogy I used in the other thread.

I'll be looking for a Tales of Suspense Iron Man page (hopefully twice up) and some more pages from Adi Granov Extremis.

I might pick up some various Avengers (with Iron Man panels) and Iron Man pages (bronze age) if possible too.

Burkey actually has a nice Don Heck TOS iron man battle page.

2013 has been another good year for me as for 2014 looking for

1. Batman Sprang page

2. Little Annie Fanny page by Will Elder

3. Don Martin Captain Klutz

4. Ditko Creeper

5. Romita Spider-Man newspaper strip

There is also a cover I have been actively trying to acquire from the owner. 2014 may be the year I get it

Nothing specific. I am lying in wait, ready to pounce on some exquisite morsel that has yet to appear. :insane:

Yup, I've had that same goal the last several years. No specific wants...I just know it when I see it.

It goes along with the "draft the best available talent, rather than draft for need" baseball analogy I used in the other thread.

+1

(thumbs u

Scott

I would be completely happy acquiring only one piece on my signature line. I would be especially happy if it were the Detective 590 cover. Other than that, in no particular order,

1. Kirby pre-code monster splash from any of the Marvel titles

2. A twice-up superhero splash

3. This Daredevil splash

daredevil_33_splash-1.png

I only actually want one more thing this year... Either a Breyfogle Batman / Tec / SotB page or a commission. I only have villain pages of his still :(

I think the only thing that would possibly distract me would be something reasonable by Balent. It's a slippery slope once I start to think about anything else.