• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the best Marvel/DC animated series/movies?
1 1

367 posts in this topic

With DC Animation it's easier to pick out what to avoid. That would be Superman: Braniac Attacks. Pretty much everything else is various shades of excellence.

For Marvel, Wolverine and the X-Men was surprisingly good. Twenty-six episodes with an advancing plot-line throughout. It's a real shame that series wasn't renewed.

Also, Planet Hulk was enjoyable. It came across as a good Heavy Metal tale imho. As a DC Animation fan I kept expecting the Bruce Banner alter ego, but it was a no-show. Not sure what happened to that aspect of Hulk mythology for this particular tale. Good stuff though.

Wolverineandthexmenanimated.jpg220px-Planet_Hulk_DVD.jpg

There have been threads done on this before,any DC animated movie is great, Batman TAS, Batman Beyond, justice league, justice league unlimited. DC does animation right! The marvel stuff is hit or miss.

Yep!

I need to dig out my Justice League Unlimited DVDs from my boxes in the storage unit. I could watch those again.

"The Great Brain Robbery" is such a hilarious episode from that show. Flash and Luthor get their brains swapped.

*upon exiting bathroom*

Dr. Polaris - "Aren't you going to wash your hands?"

Lex Luthor - "No...'cause I'm evil."

:lol:

Peace,

Chip

Edited by Chip Cataldo

With DC Animation it's easier to pick out what to avoid. That would be Superman: Braniac Attacks. Pretty much everything else is various shades of excellence.

For Marvel, Wolverine and the X-Men was surprisingly good. Twenty-six episodes with an advancing plot-line throughout. It's a real shame that series wasn't renewed.

Also, Planet Hulk was enjoyable. It came across as a good Heavy Metal tale imho. As a DC Animation fan I kept expecting the Bruce Banner alter ego, but it was a no-show. Not sure what happened to that aspect of Hulk mythology for this particular tale. Good stuff though.

Wolverineandthexmenanimated.jpg220px-Planet_Hulk_DVD.jpg

Have you read the Planet Hulk story? By far one of the best Hulk stories I've ever read and it explains the Banner issue. I'd really suggest if if you enjoyed the film.

"The Great Brain Robbery" is such a hilarious episode from that show. Flash and Luthor get their brains swapped.

*upon exiting bathroom*

Dr. Polaris - "Aren't you going to wash your hands?"

Lex Luthor - "No...'cause I'm evil."

:lol:

Peace,

Chip

That one was good!

I liked the one with Canary/Arrow and Huntress/Question that was written by Gail Simone.

My favorites in order

1. Earths mightiest heroes the avengers show that was cancelled at the beginning of this year.

2. Dc show case Spectre, Jonah hex, green arrow, shazam and superman

3. dark knight returns 1,2

4. JL cartoon series from the early 2000s

5. Hulk vs Wolverine, Thor

6. Batman under the red hood

7. Green lantern first flight

8. Planet hulk

9. Flashpoint paradox

10.?

Edited by Mmanick

top 2 for me are easy..both are interchangeable as the best super hero cartoons ever....

batman TAS

max fleischers superman from 1941

These are great. I amazed how well done the Fleischer animation was. True classics.

I love the Fleischer cartoons and I really want to have them on DVD. But there's been so many different releases of this and know many of them are not the best transfers or have undesirable tweeking. And since Amazon lumps all their reviews for a similar product together, it's hard to separate the good from the bad.

Any recommendations on which release of the Fleischer Supermans to get?

top 2 for me are easy..both are interchangeable as the best super hero cartoons ever....

batman TAS

These are great. I amazed how well done the Fleischer animation was. True classics.

I love the Fleischer cartoons and I really want to have them on DVD. But there's been so many different releases of this and know many of them are not the best transfers or have undesirable tweeking. And since Amazon lumps all their reviews for a similar product together, it's hard to separate the good from the bad.

I thought the best transfers were done around the time Superman Returns came out. They are in a yellow box set and available at most dollar stores for $5!

I was watching a Superman documentary DVD (again from a dollar store) and according to history, Fleischer didn't want to work on Superman, so they gave a huge price to make it and the studio agreed to do it. lol

batman TAS

I thought the best transfers were done around the time Superman Returns came out. They are in a yellow box set and available at most dollar stores for $5!

I was watching a Superman documentary DVD (again from a dollar store) and according to history, Fleischer didn't want to work on Superman, so they gave a huge price to make it and the studio agreed to do it. lol

yep, I got mine from a dollar store too and im happy with the quality

Brainiac Attacks is by far the worst DC animated movie ever. I have no idea how it got approved and released. Don't waste your time!

What is worth watching: Take the four Darkseid episodes from Superman: TAS, the two Darkseid episodes from Justice League and the two-part series finale of JLU and watch them together as a "movie." It is better than most of the live-action Superman movies.

The series finale of JLU is a smackdown in the same vein as the Avengers movie. :cloud9:

batman TAS

yep, I got mine from a dollar store too and im happy with the quality

+ 2

Bought the Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 discs, and them made them into a DVD set, including a customized cover.

th_comic_collection012_zps31a5c588.jpg

th_comic_collection011_zps1a2e1786.jpg

Brainiac Attacks is by far the worst DC animated movie ever. I have no idea how it got approved and released. Don't waste your time!

What is worth watching: Take the four Darkseid episodes from Superman: TAS, the two Darkseid episodes from Justice League and the two-part series finale of JLU and watch them together as a "movie." It is better than most of the live-action Superman movies.

The series finale of JLU is a smackdown in the same vein as the Avengers movie. :cloud9:

+1 on the Darkseid episodes. :cloud9:

Superman:TAS is still the best screen-translation of the character to date imho. Batman:TAS overshadowed it, but Timm's Superman effort was just as stylish and well written in its own right.