• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's comic book room
5 5

890 posts in this topic

C-Link Win - Major Grail!

I'm in the process of putting together my personal list of GGA grails.  Books that are the true pinnacles of GGA, the ones that have an impact on me for one reason or another.  The list is subjective of course.  My list will no doubt include comics that would be on everyone's list (what we all would agree are classic covers), but I'm sure I'll have some comics that aren't on many want lists.  That's okay.  The point of this is to be my personal list.

I'm hoping by making the list, I can focus my collecting efforts.  This project started when I looked at the 2 big piles of golden age GGA that I've bought over the last couple years.  Of those comics -- probably a couple hundred books -- only a handful are ones I really, really like.  The others I'm happy to have, but I'd be willing to trade all of them for 1 or 2 books on my grail list.  So that's what I'm trying to do.  Focus on grails and cut back on buying books I only like so-so.

As it happens, one of my grails was in this month's ComicLink auction, Millie the Model #2.  I like the simple art without any word balloons or lettering other than the title.  Only 1.5 but I think it presents well.  I probably paid too much, but I can't remember the last time I saw a copy. 

594e5cd069bab_MillietheModelCBCS1_5300.thumb.jpg.f42bed164cad7da8e3d09808544794a9.jpg

If You List It They Will Come - Mister Mystery #6

As I mentioned, I'm putting together my personal list of GGA grails.  As I do this, some of my grails are appearing for sale.  It's like Field of Dreams, but with comics instead of baseball players.  First Millie #2 (above), and now an even bigger grail -- a much bigger grail for me -- Mister Mystery #6.  I won this last week on eBay.  I watched the seconds count down.  We've all been there I'm sure.  You get to 5 seconds and all the bidnapper bids come in (I can't complain as I use bidnapper as well for most of my eBay auctions).  I expected to lose, but I won, with a whole $12 of room to spare to my max bid.  Now if only some of those Marvel Mysteries on my grail list show up on eBay I'll be a happy man.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.60fd152e1a7e0b866d9a490161e49cee.jpg

4 hours ago, n2wdw said:

If You List It They Will Come - Mister Mystery #6

As I mentioned, I'm putting together my personal list of GGA grails.  As I do this, some of my grails are appearing for sale.  It's like Field of Dreams, but with comics instead of baseball players.  First Millie #2 (above), and now an even bigger grail -- a much bigger grail for me -- Mister Mystery #6.  I won this last week on eBay.  I watched the seconds count down.  We've all been there I'm sure.  You get to 5 seconds and all the bidnapper bids come in (I can't complain as I use bidnapper as well for most of my eBay auctions).  I expected to lose, but I won, with a whole $12 of room to spare to my max bid.  Now if only some of those Marvel Mysteries on my grail list show up on eBay I'll be a happy man.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.60fd152e1a7e0b866d9a490161e49cee.jpg

Great grab. You will never be sorry about that one. I bought that one over 35 years ago. I have upgraded several copies but never been withthout a copy.

I just read all 45 pages of your journal over the last couple of days.  Fascinating read and I really enjoyed your con reports, meals you've had going to cons/trips, and (of course) acquisitions and your comic book room. Really great stuff!  All the best - Mike 

On 9/25/2017 at 6:52 PM, Taxmick1 said:

I just read all 45 pages of your journal over the last couple of days.  Fascinating read and I really enjoyed your con reports, meals you've had going to cons/trips, and (of course) acquisitions and your comic book room. Really great stuff!  All the best - Mike 

Thanks!  I have now continued my journal in the Golden Age section.  My focus at the moment is GA, but I still collect anything that catches my eye.  Here's a link

, hope you check it out: 

• Administrator

This is the original view of this journal on the Chat Boards. This view is locked, so members can no longer reply here.

This journal is also posted in the new Journals section, which is unlocked. Click the link below to see any other comments about this journal and post new replies.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/blogs/entry/3554-n2wdw39s-comic-book-room/

• Administrator

You can also click "My Journal" in the main menu to quickly find your own journal, journal entries, and replies.

07 My Journal CGC.png

And you can search all journals by using the search tool.

08 Search Journals CGC.png

• Administrator

You can find journal entries by a specific author by using the search tool and visiting their profile, and you can follow members to get notifications when they post new content.

09 Members Journals CGC.png

5 5