• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's comic book room
5 5

890 posts in this topic

Yes, LM is steampunk. I think you're right, people are losing interest. Maybe things will turn around with #3 comes out. There's also a 2nd series planned.

Another modern series I like is Morning Glories. I definitely recommend it. You can get the TPBs at a discount from Amazon.

So, I recently got into the Walking Dead TV series. My 12 yo son got into it first. Then recently my 16 yo daughter got into it; she watched the entire series over a week, as the kids were home due to snow and ice. At times she got so scared she slept with us at night! (She hasn't done that for years). I know this might not be age appropriate, but my wife and I have always been easy on that kind of thing.

I finally broke down and watched it. I'm not into zombies, they scare the heck out of me (like the Borg x 100). But I've always liked post apocalypse stories, to see how the survivors cope. Recently I read Stephen King's The Stand and it's the same idea.

It look me about 2 weeks to watch the entire Walking Dead series. Now I'm hooked and can't wait for the season to start up again February 9.

I found this photo of the cast goofing around on eBay. With a BIN price of 9 bucks I couldn't resist getting it.

T2eC16Rw0E9szNYhlkBR6M6eqi60_3_zps2cf8c7c0.jpg

Although I only hear great things about TWD, I am avoiding most Zombie related movies and shows or books. Why? I guess like the Vampire genre there is just too much of it for me. So I'm taking a break from Z-anything (except for Shaun of the Dead: this one I can watch over and over again).

But i would love to see another Kirkman property make it to the small screen or big one.

Do you think Invincible has a shot?

Love the photo! It's always great to see such a thing... and I image for you it takes the edge off the horror and suspense of the show for just a wee bit.

When I was a kid (maybe 5 or 6), I saw the Exorcist. Yeah... now that movie scared the heck out of me. And ever since then I have watched all kinds of horror films... but only a select few give me the creeps and nightmares. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is still scary. And one that I can only watch once in a blue moon is Wolf Creek. My tastes in horror films has grown a lot more sophisticated, so I now gravitate towards movies with great storytelling over just "blood and guts" and special effects.

I'm sure in a few years, when I fall in love again with the Zombie genre, I'll pick the series up both on TV and in the comics, and I'll be the only one saying "This is awesome", while everyone else will be like, "Been There, Done That!"

Are you planning to collect the Walking Dead now?

SW3D

Hi SW3D,

I almost stopped watching with the very first episode, it's pretty scary and I'm not into "just around the corner" type shows. But you soon get into the people, and the more serious threat eventually becomes other people instead of the zombies (although that never goes away).

I'd like to collect the comics to some extent, but I haven't figured out the angle. There are so many issues and the prices are high right now. For now I'm looking to buy the compendiums to read the comics -- they retail for $60 new but it looks like people are selling 1 and 2 for $50 plus free shipping. I'm looking to buy dinged copies because by the time my kids and I get done reading them, they'll definitely be just reading copies.

I'll probably go ahead and submit the WD free copies they gave away at WW Chicago. They look like 9.8s (fingers crossed). I almost sold them at the con. Dealers were offering $5 and $10 for the regular and sketch editions. I got good advice here on the boards and kept them. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=309380&Number=6930414#Post6930414

I think it would be cool to get a few SS copies signed by the actors.

I did just pick this SS sketch cover last night on eBay. I won the auction as the only bidder for $100.

I made an offer on another WD comic, a raw sketch cover of Glenn and Maggie. I think the seller had it priced as if it was graded rather than raw, but anyway we couldn't work anything out.

_57_zpsa9a5c415.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

Here we go with the January ComicLink auction. I have tracking bids on a couple dozen books, but there are 3 that I really want.

The first was Amazing Spider-man 3 (first Doc Ock,), graded CGC 6.0 SA (Restoration includes: small amount of color touch on cover.) This is my favorite type of restored comic, only some color touch on the cover.

GPA has unrestored 6.0 at about $1200, and 6.0 SA at about $600. I typically try to pay only up to VG raw, which at Overstreet is $634.

I decided to bid $700, with 15 minutes to go. Immediately I was outbid, and the next bid was $800. I was tempted because the book is really nice with only minimal restoration, but in the end I decided to let it go. I think I can do better than $800, as I think Doc Ock has peaked (no new Doc Ock movies on the horizon).

Anyway, the book sold at $856. IMHO, this is the extreme end of what the book is worth. FMV is always hard to figure out for restored books, but I don't think this was a deal.

I don't feel disappointed at losing this one, and now I have a little more to bid on my #2 book.

Lost out on the second comic on my hit list, Avengers #1 in CGC 6.0 SP. Like the Spidey, it was restored but only a little color touch on the cover. About 90 minutes before the end, the bid was $1108. GPA unrestored is about $3000, and restored around $1400. I was undecided on what to bid, maybe $1500. But then at 45 minutes out the bid jumped to $1650. That was too rich for me.

It finally ended at $1950. Wow ....

Anyway, I did pick this one up, Avengers #5. GPA is all over the place, ranging $71 - $143. I got it for $92, a fair price I think, and now I can check it off my list. Now I'm down to 23 issues to complete my "original Marvels" collection.

Avengers5CGC5092_zps278a2f4a.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

I think the Borg are much more terrifying than Zombies.

Zombies are so much easier to kill. There are also far less of them to kill.

I can see how that could be terrifying, but Star Trek never explored a major infiltration by the Borg. Also, in Star Trek you're got phasers and force fields. With the WD it's often just knives and hand-to-hand, very scary.

I managed to win this one last night on C-Link. I placed my final bid and went to sleep, and then checked it first thing. This one has the first appearance of the Watcher. A nice looking book (C-Link graded it as 4.0 VG) but not sure if in good enough shape to send off to CGC.

FantasticFour13163_zpsbce89e60.jpg

With old SA books like that, especially a first appearance, I'd send it in to CGC as long as it was a complete book.

With the walking dead, I jumped in late like you. I missed the first seasons initial airing before playing catch up. With the books I just went out and started getting the trades. I started collecting the books at issue 100 and try to get some back issues here and there. But they are expensive right now. Hopefully whenever the show ends the books will drop a bit.

More on the January ComicLink Auction

I wrote above about how I lost out on the first two comics on my hit list, Spidey 3 and Avengers 1. Last night I managed to win the third comic on this month's want list, Cerebus #4. This was the last issue I needed to complete my Cerebus run of 1-300. For some reason, #4 doesn't come up for sale often. I won it for $130 (my max bid was the current GPA of $180).

Cerebus4CGC96130_zps04f468c7.jpg

There was a run of high grade Cerebus this month. I decided to bid on some others to upgrade. I managed to win #5, upgrading to 9.6 from 5.5. I got #5 for $72, My max bid was $107, about 25% under GPA.

I also got #7 for the bargain price of $48, upgrading to 9.6 from 8.0. My max bid was $88, a touch under GPA.

Cerebus5CGC9672_zps19788448.jpg

Cerebus7CGC9648_zps073251c9.jpg

Submitting My Next CGC Invoice (and the purpose of grading)

I'm packing up my next CGC invoice to send out on Monday. I've been acquiring and picking the comics for the last 3 or 4 months. It always comes down to, which comics should you grade and which should you leave raw? And the the more fundamental question, what's the purpose of grading anyway?

For me there's 3 reasons:

(1) I grade for the purpose of increasing my comics' value and making it easier to sell them. I don't plan on selling my collection, but you never know when you'll need cash. And when you need it, you might not have time to submit to CGC. So by grading, it's kind of like putting something aside for a rainy day.

I plan on leaving my collection to my kids (hopefully that will be decades in the future). They don't collect comics. I've told them it's 100% okay with me if they sell the collection. I want my kids to be able to easily sell the higher value comics for FMV, and grading them will help them do that.

(2) I grade keys and great covers because the CGC holder is an attractive and impressive frame. I'm mostly a collector of runs, but I collect keys and covers too. These comics are great art, and I like having them out on display. To me, the CGC holder is the best frame for comics.

(3) I grade comics that mean something to me. There are some comics that aren't worth anything, that might not have the best covers, but their stories had an impact on me.

Anyway, here are the comics in my next CGC submission:

1. All Flash 25 (jitterbug cover)

2. Flash Comics 92 (Black Canary cover)

3. Superboy 10 (1st Lana Lang)

4. Strange Tales 135 (1st Shield & Hydra)

5. DC Superstars 17 (1st Huntress)

6. Amazing Spider-Man 6 (1st Lizard)

7. Amazing Spider-Man 7

8. Amazing Spider-Man 11

9. Amazing Spider-Man 15 (1st Kraven)

10. Amazing Spider-Man 300

11. Batman 232 (1st Ra’s Al Ghul)

12. Action Comics 267 (1st appearance of Chameleon Boy, Colossal Boy, Invisible Kid)

13. Action Comics 276 (a bonanza of Legion firsts: 1st appearance of Phantom Girl, Triplicate Girl, Bouncing Boy, Sun Boy, Brainiac 5 and Shrinking Violet)

14. Action Comics 285 (great Superman & Supergirl cover)

15. Fantastic Four 18 (1st Super-Skrull)

Here are the first 2 comics (I got both on ComicConnect):

AllFlash2580440_zpsd8bd880c.jpg

FlashComics92595_zps7ad81a55.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

Protectors of My Comic Book Room

I have a lot of valuable stuff in my comic book room, so I've spared no expense at protecting it. No less than Space Ghost, Mouse Guard and Herobear are guarding the entrance of my vault.

IMG_0854_zps35334aa8.jpg

If the villain somehow gets passed that formidable trio, then he has to deal with my Number 1 bruiser. Yes, you see right, it's the killer in the grey bunny suit:

IMG_0855_zps6264c9ef.jpg

So villains and scoundrels, you've been warned!

This weekend on ebay I won a great auction! Bone Hardcover Set Volume 1-9 and Rose, all 1st printings! And for only $100 including shipping! I was the only bidder, which proves ebay is still great if you have a little luck.

I already have 1-3, so I'll try to sell them to further reduce the net price. Best deal I've gotten in a while.

_57_zps93466652.jpg

I see you're a big fan of Star Trek.

So many years ago... maybe in the early 70's... my father gave me a book on the history of Star Trek... a paperback. It had all this neat info on Gene Rodenberry, the creation of the show, blueprints of the Enterprise, pages of teleplays from the show, and photos of the cast and crew on set and even in Cons which was relatively new for Trek. I lost that book... and do regret that... for I bet it's a collectors item now.

Cerebus makes for one mean looking grey bunny!

Live Long and Prosper!

SW3D

Something I really enjoy is thinking of different ways to display my collection. Most of my comics are in long boxes, but parts i like to display in my comic book room.

I really like the Morning Glories series. I have almost a complete run. I like it so much I also collect the TPBs and the deluxe hardcovers. Most of my comics are raw but I have a few CGCs, including the #1s.

Recently I've begun using 3 tier clear magazine holders to display favorite comics. You can get them on Amazon for under $15 each.

Here's what they look like empty:

bb7bcec7071993191f4f65df0635c5e9_zpsf6bf023d.jpg

I use two of them to display my Morning Glories #1s and books:

e6a50786fc348ed4187a90295871c950_zps83b7f88c.jpg

You can also get holders that have a single compartment. I use them to display similar comics. I really like this issue of Secrets of Sinister House, so i use the holders to display my small collection.

cfb832416ddebf53579420a5103d2507_zps4ce41347.jpg

Lee's Comics on El Camino Real

My job brings me out to SF a few times a year, and I used to always hit Lee's Comics on El Camino Real. Life got busier and I stopped going, and I haven't been for over 10 years (or more?). But today my meeting ended early, and I was only 15 minutes away (by Google Maps), so I thought why not?

Smaller than I remembered (did they renovate over the last decade?), but still a great store. I picked up the first 3 RASL's TPBs for only $5 each, bought a 100 pack of acid free magazine boards, the 3 most recent Walking Dead comics at cover price, and the Official Walking Dead magazine. Now I definitely have enough to keep me busy on the plane home tomorrow (along with a pile of work too).

Way back when, I used to go to a Chinese restaurant right next to Lee's, kind of a fast food place like what you see in malls. I'd eat lunch there, and then spend an hour or so in the store. Now, there's a Chinese restaurant on either side of Lee's, but I don't think they're the same place -- these places are more sit down order from the menu kind of places, and I know I'll never have time for that on my biz trips. Ah well, that experience will have to remain a fond memory.

9c5b3b96cde19e196fb0ec8114fdd6bf_zps4f238c9c.jpg

Anyway, here are the comics in my next CGC submission:

1. All Flash 25 (jitterbug cover)

2. Flash Comics 92 (Black Canary cover)

3. Superboy 10 (1st Lana Lang)

4. Strange Tales 135 (1st Shield & Hydra)

5. DC Superstars 17 (1st Huntress)

6. Amazing Spider-Man 6 (1st Lizard)

7. Amazing Spider-Man 7

8. Amazing Spider-Man 11

9. Amazing Spider-Man 15 (1st Kraven)

10. Amazing Spider-Man 300

11. Batman 232 (1st Ra’s Al Ghul)

12. Action Comics 267 (1st appearance of Chameleon Boy, Colossal Boy, Invisible Kid)

13. Action Comics 276 (a bonanza of Legion firsts: 1st appearance of Phantom Girl, Triplicate Girl, Bouncing Boy, Sun Boy, Brainiac 5 and Shrinking Violet)

14. Action Comics 285 (great Superman & Supergirl cover)

15. Fantastic Four 18 (1st Super-Skrull)

Happy to report this submission was checked in (Verified) as of 1/28, the day after I mailed it via Fed Ex next day. We'll see how fast this goes ...

Edited by n2wdw

5 5