• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's comic book room
5 5

890 posts in this topic

I enjoy this journal!

1. Where'd you get the wooden shelving units?

2. Where'd you get the Cerebus plush? Weirdly enough, just this morning and for the first time ever, I thought of looking for one.

Hi Ogami, I got the wood shelves from Ikea. It's their Gorm line. I also use their Ivar shelves. They both work great (and aren't too expensive), you can make the shelves any height you want.

The Gorm shelves are about 1.5 feet deep, and I use them to display my Star Trek and Star Wars toys. The first shelf is about 4.5 feet off the ground. Underneath I store long boxes (3 boxes high). I use drawer boxes on the bottom two rows so I don't have to move boxes as often (getting too old for that unfortunately).

I got the Cerebus toy a million years ago, mail order from Aardvark-Vanaheim. Probably Cerebus was under issue 100 at the time. I lost the black vest somewhere along the way. You see them on sale every now and then on Ebay.

Edited by n2wdw

I'm not a big collector of animation art, but these two pieces I had to have.

I have 3 daughters, and when they were young they loved the Powerpuff Girls. I found this piece at the SD con in the early 2000s. I think it was around $500. At the time, and to this day, I have no idea if that was a good price. The dealer said hand-drawn PowerPuff cells are rare because they moved to CGI. I remember calling my wife and asking her if I should buy it. She told me to go for it! And I really wanted it, it reminded me of my 3 girls and how we used to hang out when they were young. So I bought it.

IMG_0860_zps31df7ba4.jpg

The next one is from Kiki's Delivery Service. Again, I got this one because of my kids, they love the movies by Hayao Miyazaki. I got this one also at the SDCC, in 2012. Honestly I can't remember how much I paid. Maybe around $450? Once again I don't know if that was a good price. My goal is to eventually have a cell from all of the Miyazaki movies.

IMG_0864_zps55c41425.jpg

BTW, notice how the PPGs piece has glare, and the Kiki doesn't? I think it's because for the Kiki piece I paid extra for non-glare archival glass, whereas for the PP piece I'm still using the frame that I bought it in. The extra cost isn't too much and definitely worth it.

Edited by n2wdw

Hi Ogami, I got the wood shelves from Ikea. It's their Gorm line. I also use their Ivar shelves. They both work great (and aren't too expensive), you can make the shelves any height you want.

The Gorm shelves are about 1.5 feet deep, and I use them to display my Star Trek and Star Wars toys. The first shelf is about 4.5 feet off the ground. Underneath I store long boxes (3 boxes high). I use drawer boxes on the bottom two rows so I don't have to move boxes as often (getting too old for that unfortunately).

I got the Cerebus toy a million years ago, mail order from Aardvark-Vanaheim. Probably Cerebus was under issue 100 at the time. I lost the black vest somewhere along the way. You see them on sale every now and then on Ebay.

Thanks for the replies. (thumbs u

I won a few and lost a few this past Sunday. Keeping track of my bids and Best Offers was a welcome distraction from the Broncos getting pounded by the Seahawks. Was that a boring Superbowl or what?

Anyway, I often check out the Heritage Sunday auctions, but hardly ever bid and rarely ever win. I can't stand their high buyer premiums. Ok, I know people will say just factor that into the price you're willing to pay. But it's been my experience that, because of the high buyer premium, the hammer price ends up higher than it would otherwise. In other words, it's hard to get a good deal on the Heritage auctions. Even winning a $1 auction is a bad deal because they tack on a minimum buyer's premium (like $14).

So I check out the Heritage Sundays mostly for 2 things. First is the original art. I've had luck a couple of times getting interesting pieces for a decent price. This summer I won this auction for an original paperback cover.

EnricTorres-Prat466_zps79195460.jpg

The other thing I watch out for on the Heritage Sundays are restored comics. There's such a bias against restored comics that you sometimes can get a good deal. This past weekend I managed to win this Green Lantern 40 in CGC 6.5 SA. The restoration was the kind I mind the least "small color touch on cover." With the buyer's premium I got it for $76 (my high bid was a couple of bucks more).

This book has been on my want list for a while. Boardie Garlanda recently wrote about it http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7395364#Post7395364

GL 40 has the origin of the multiverse, the basis for all the crisis stories. The CGC label says "Crisis begins." I think Overstreet has a better description: "Origin of Infinite Earths." It's a minor key I guess, but it's a cornerstone for a lot of DC storylines and history. It should be part of any DC Silver Age key collection (so go rush out now and buy it and get the GPA average up!).

So let me walk you through my thinking about how much to bid on this book. Again, I got it for $76 all-in (not including shipping, which I personally never include in my go/no-go decisions). GPA in the same grade has this at $76 -- the same as my buy price. For universal, GPA has it in 6.5 at $175. Overstreet has it at $92 in VG. Ebay has a ton of copies for sale. The graded copies run higher than GPA. There are a few interesting raw copies for sale, but after grading you're probably at GPA or higher. So I input all that information and the computer in my head said "Bid $78."

It's so hard to price out restored comics. I didn't think I'd win this at $78, so I'm really happy with it. Something else I consider when bidding is the price of grading. Let's say I bought this comic raw. I'd have to use the Value tier to grade it. So if you back out the CGC grading fee of $25, my high bid was really $52. This book in Fine+ is a steal at that price.

I know a lot of collectors are against restored comics. I have a short term and long term response to that. Short term, personally I'm not able to readily spot slight color touch on the cover. I know others can (or say they can), but alas I do not have that super power. So, I could buy a raw copy, grade it, and then end up with the same CGC 6.5 SA. That's why I don't mind getting SAs where the only restoration is a little color touch.

My long term answer applies not just to color touch but to all restoration. I think the bias against restoration will eventually end. Maybe not for modern or common bronze/silver, but certainly for silver keys (maybe bronze too) and for golden age. This is just my opinion, but it's based on how restoration is viewed among other collectibles, notably fine art where a good restoration job increases the value of the piece.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

GreenLantern40CGC65SA76_zps4c0ff6b9.jpg

I've been traveling for work lately. Last week I was in SF and went to Lee's Comics (I talked about this above). This week I'm in NYC staying at a hotel in Times Square. It snowed yesterday and the roads were slushing, but that didn't stop me from visiting a great comic book store, Midtown Comics.

IMG_0899_zps301306c1.jpg

If you're ever around Times Square you have to visit this store. It's just a few blocks south of Bubba Gump Shrimp and where they drop the ball. It's on two floors with huge displays of new, recent and old comics, books, manga, toys; it's like a convention in a store.

IMG_0902_zpse5badf12.jpg

IMG_0904_zps0b31d18e.jpg

IMG_0901_zps5c34916d.jpg

Midtown does a lot of cover exclusives. Browsing what they have on sale is always a highlight for me when I visit this store.

IMG_0900_zps4592c3bf.jpg

I really enjoy visiting comic stores when I'm in different cities, but I admit I usually don't buy much there. For the most part stores sell everything at retail (and higher than FMV on back issues), and I know I can get most things at substantial discounts at conventions, eBay, these boards, etc. But I always like to buy something when I visit a store. So I got a few comics and this Midtown Walking Dead Magazine:

02500f73-cdb9-4def-9cea-74e4a8c9e23c_zps9e72a13f.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

Back at WW Chicago this past summer, I commissioned a Lady Mechanika sketch from Jamie Tyndall. Jamie recently finished it, on one of my last Gen-13 blanks. I'm really happy with it, you can tell he put a lot of effort into it, and it has his trademarked Tyndall detail.

6ca166e4b5094a1a4119802b7b97c518_zpsfa4627cf.jpg

I was going to just have Jamie ship it to me, but then his wife Marilyn said Jamie was going to be at a con this weekend (I guess the Dallas Sci-Fi Expo) and he could drop it off at CGC if I wanted.

Hmmm ... I've bought a few yellow labels, but never submitted anything myself. I don't know, to me the process seems complicated. But the way Marilyn explained it, it sounded easy. Jamie would give the book to Desert Wind. DW would contact me for billing, and then take care of submitting to CGC.

I decided to go for it. So now my book is on its way to CGC. I'm not exactly sure how much this will cost since I haven't spoken to DW yet. But from their website, Desert Wind charges $36 for Modern, plus $25 shipping back to me. With Jamie's commission that's a total of $161. To be honest I was having second thoughts last night about the cost of this SS submission, but after figuring it out that cost seems pretty reasonable.

I have a small collection of Gen-13 sketch covers. Other than this Tyndall, all of them are raw. Below are a few of them. It flashed through my mind of trying to get them graded. Maybe at cons the artists would authenticate their work to CGC. But someone at the Signature Room said CGC will not do this for sketches done in the past (?). Ah well, maybe I'll just yellow label ones I get in the future (I have a few more Gen-13 blanks and I'm always on the lookout for more).

babada6b6647c84c85aa213a5f328490_zps7a80c4c2.jpg

d7ce8f4d76d08bf141410413faed0114_zpsfdf4b99c.jpg

2fafef0b3697f747a78ff07d49587cec_zps627f36ec.jpg

09b27f0ae3a28122436e3cc169e52162_zps5ff1738e.jpg

San Diego 2014 (Part 1)

I lucked out this year and got tickets for SDCC during the early registration today. Last year I had trouble logging on and was only able to buy a Sunday ticket. I wasn't going to travel across the country for only Sunday, but I kept the ticket so I'd qualify for early registration this year (I think they're plugging that loophole in the future so only actual attendees from the prior year can qualify for the early registration the next year).

The waiting room opened at 10am eastern. I got in around 1145. It didn't matter when you got into the waiting room. And this waiting room approach did a good job of keeping everyone from logging in at the same time and clogging the system.

At noon they closed the waiting room, and then randomly put everyone in line to buy tickets. Within 30 minutes 4 day + preview night were gone. Around an hour in they posted messages saying Saturday was almost sold out. I finally got in after 90 minutes, and was able to buy Thursday-Friday-Saturday-Sunday tickets.

I'm not sure how many days I'll actually go. I'd love to go all 4 days, but life is busy with 4 kids. Right now I'm thinking just Thursday and Friday. And of course now I've got to deal with the pain of getting a hotel room (I'll write about that later after the hotel lottery as Part 2). Honestly I think WW Chicago is a better con for buying comics. But San Diego is Mecca for us, right? So since I'm lucky enough to have tickets I'm gonna go.

A lazy Sunday afternoon watching the Olympics and getting ready for (unfortunately) another business trip. This is the third consecutive week of traveling, way more than usual. Being away from home quickly gets old. This week is particularly bad because I won't be able to watch Walking Dead at home. I and two of my kids have really gotten into it lately, so it's a major bummer not being able to watch it with them. Ah well, a lost bonding opportunity. Not exactly the Brady Bunch, but as kids get older you take what you can get.

Eating is about the only thing I look forward to when traveling. So time for more food pics! Here's beef tartar from Bourbon Steak a couple of weeks ago in SF. They serve it deconstructed:

c686557dc3b13b0466b998662d45122b_zps99c2a54b.jpg

Then the waiter does his thing tableside. The finished dish looks like this. It's really great with a sturdy red wine.

daca9d66858777f58ffc9d4a74651355_zpsf6f4c9be.jpg

Bourbon Steak also has a delicious side dish of fried padrón peppers and prosciutto. Almost as good as tapas in Barcelona.

0ad829d943dcaa2e0547da9f57a2bdbb_zps35dacb89.jpg

Original Marvels Collection - Revisited

I wrote above about how I'm trying to complete full runs of what I call the "original Marvels" titles: Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Cap, DD, FF, Hulk and Iron Man. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7287580&fpart=3

I’ve been working on this for over 20 years, and I'm hoping to finish in the next 2-3 years. On Sunday I won 2 auctions on eBay. I don't know why it is but it seems like a lot of auctions I'm interested in end on Sunday.

I'm getting down to the expensive ones. I've been looking for this one for a while, Avengers 9. Overstreet has its FN price at $144 (GPA at $225), but prices seem to run higher on eBay since it's the first appearance of Wonder Man. This one has a lot of eye appeal, but because it's (literally) rough around the edges (especially down the spine), I managed to get it for a good price.

Avengers967_zps14edcf07.jpg

The second is Amazing Spider-man 9. Overstreet has it at $360 in Fine. That's low for the 1st appearance of Electro. It's hard to convince sellers to sell at that price at FN. GPA is more accurate I think at $680 at CGC 6.0. But that's way more than I wanted to pay. Again, this copy has rough edges so I was able to get it for a reasonable price, but it still has a nice cover IMHO. I put in what I thought were aggressive bids and didn't think I'd win either book, so I was ecstatic to get both.

Now I'm just 20 issues away from completing my Original Marvels collection. But the Overstreet price at Fine is over $32,000! I'm hoping to snag nice looking books with defects I can live with, but otherwise look Fine. We'll see. Honestly I think it's a buyer's market for these early Marvels. That's not to say the books are cheap, but there's enough volume that with luck you can get good deals.

AmazingSpider-man9236_zpsf04871e4.jpg

ComicConnect January 2014 Auction

Great deals this month! Picked up mid-grade Adventure 306 for only $35. This one has the 1st appearance of the Legion of Substitute Heroes and fits in my collection of getting graded copies of Legion 1st appearances.

adv16999a_zps35b35d45.jpg

Also won Green Lantern 21 for just $33, the 1st appearance of Dr. Polaris. You have to figure the sellers used the Value track to grade at $25 per, so I got these minor keys for just a little more than the cost of grading. Collecting is really fun if you're not focused on just really high grades!

gre23985a_zpsd97a8026.jpg

ComicConnect January 2014 Auction - Part 2 (WOW!)

An amazing auction this month! I feel like I'm the only person bidding (I'm okay with that!).

Got this Superboy 171, first Aquaboy, for $25! Grading by itself is $25.

Superboy171CGC6025_zpsa9d713da.jpg

This great Supergirl cover for only $23, less than the cost of grading.

AdventureComics413VF23_zpsf34d7fc3.jpg

This Power Girl for $21 and Red Sonja Tan Negative Cover for $28, and a couple of Wonder Woman comics each for $21:

PowerGirl5CGC9821_zpsa3e46a78.jpg

RedSonja9CGC9828_zpsf0e6ffb7.jpg

WonderWoman99CGC9821_zps8e25d150.jpg

WonderWoman30CGC9821_zpsea57cf62.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

I not so funny story. I love Mechanica and the two were both at ECCC 2 years ago. I bought a limited edition Tshirt with the Lady in front of the Space Needle. To make a long story short I had 3 simultaneous strokes and went to the emergency and the nurse cut my shirt off. I was truly not in my head and I said..."I want my shirt back...It is a collectible.

Well, as you may assume, I never saw that lovely shirt again

I not so funny story. I love Mechanica and the two were both at ECCC 2 years ago. I bought a limited edition Tshirt with the Lady in front of the Space Needle. To make a long story short I had 3 simultaneous strokes and went to the emergency and the nurse cut my shirt off. I was truly not in my head and I said..."I want my shirt back...It is a collectible.

Well, as you may assume, I never saw that lovely shirt again

So sorry to hear that, but the part about the t-shirt is something to remember!

I've written how I'm not a big fan of the Heritage Sunday auctions, given the high buyer commission. But I usually browse each week, and lately I've gotten some good stuff. At last week's auction I picked up Famous Crimes 3, a book I've wanted for a while. A very solid copy with a lot of cover appeal. There's something going on with the color in the F, but otherwise the colors look bright and sharp. Even with the Heritage buyer's fee, I got it for a bargain, only $76. I wonder to what extent this month's Comic Link auction (with a lot of desirable comics being offered) is having on hammer prices in other auctions, like Heritage and ComicConnect.

FamousCrimes3vgFN76_zps152c6898.jpg

I won this on eBay a couple of weeks ago, the Adi Granov variant of Uncanny Avengers #1. I'm a fan of Granov's cover art. I'm also a fan of the Scarlet Witch, and this is one of the best SW covers. This is reflected in prices, although they're variable. Right now they range from $30 to $100 on eBay, all raw. The raw price doesn't seem to drop below $30.

I'm pretty anal about modern CGCs, and typically won't go below 9.8, which an exception of 9.6 here and there. This one at 9.4 is the lowest graded CGC modern in my collection.

But it was on eBay for a starting bid of $24.99. With FREE shipping. There were no bids. So I put in a bid of $25 to see what would happen. I figured I could always crack it out, so it would be like picking up the book raw on the cheap. If I bought it raw, I could just as easily end up with the same 9.4 grade or lower (by the way, it's easy to see why this got a 9.4, as there's a slight non-color breaking bend on the right side of the cover -- it could be fixed with pressing but I don't think it's worth the trouble and cost).

I won it for $25! I've decided not to crack it open, because I like how comics look in the CGC holder.

UncannyAvengers1GranovCGC9425_zps67007402.jpg

My Alfred Trujillo cover commission is done and on its way to CGC! This was my first try at a sketch opp, and unlike others I've read about over in the Signature Room, this one went really smoothly. It was also a very reasonable $160 all-in (including blank, grading and shipping). Kudos to TheMightyJohn for putting this together, and thanks to Alfred for such a great cover! More sketches from this opp are here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7059652&fpart=1

Here it is, a risque Black Canary pulling up her boots:

AlfredTrujilloBlackCanary_zps3e593cb0.jpg

The sketch is a homage to this Batgirl cover:

KGrHqVmEFJtkgC7VuBSc2hCRfy60_3_zpsa0c2d6f2.gif

Edited by n2wdw

Awesome sketch. I am currently in a few opps and can't wait to see how they go. I love the Adi cover. His cover art is always really good. I hear you on the modern grades. I don't mind 9.6 so much, but below that is hard for me to keep. The only ones under 9.6 I still have are 2 signed books that I'm going to press eventually. I'm ok with it if it's copper or before.

5 5