• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

n2wdw's comic book room
5 5

890 posts in this topic

Additions to my Gwen Stacy collection

A couple of recent additions to my Gwen Stacy collection. First, a signed photo of Emma Stone, who I think was a terrific pick for Gwen.

EmmaStone150to_zps6d5075e4.jpg

And then -- somewhat related to Gwen -- a great SS cover of Mary Jane by one of my favorite artists, Tim Sale.

SSAvengers1TimSale180_zps64485be6.jpg

I got both on eBay. I probably paid too much for the Emma Stone photo. I was really pleased though with the price I paid for the Tim Sale cover.

More Gwen Stacy & Unexpected Generosity from Modelmaker

This story started earlier this year, when modelmaker was looking to sell some CGC SS covers prior to ECCC. One book he offered was a sketch cover of Gwen Stacy by Lobresti. Well, the art was great and the price was fair, so I snatched it up.

SSAmazingSpiderman648AaronLopresti165_zpsd60878bf.jpg

I finally got the book earlier this week. Not the fault of modelmaker, he mailed it immediately, it was a mix up at the place I work. Anyway, I opened the package relieved to get the book. And holy cow, in addition to the Lobresti sketch cover, I found this in the package:

JonBenitez_zps55acae50.jpg

Now, I've worked with some generous sellers when they've thrown in a comic or two. But nothing like this! I immediately recognized it as the art of Joe Benitez. So this book blew me away! First, it's Benitez, one of my favorite artists, and the artist of probably my favorite comic right now, Lady Mechanika (if you look at my signature you'll see I currently have the top LM set). Second, it's a great playful rendition of Gwen and MJ. Third, it's Gwen Stacy, a character I collect.

So I immediately contacted modelmaker to thank him for the book. Then I was blown away even more by the story he told me. He gave me permission to print his story below. I can't tell you how amazed I am by his kindest and generosity. The people on this board are really great! Thank you modelmaker!

(By the way, I plan to have CGC grade the comic, and then someday see if Joe will sign the case with something like "My 1st Gwen Stacy")

Here's a picture modelmaker took of Benitez doing the sketch:

24wanmw_zps1d7b721a.jpg

modelmaker's PM to me:

So now that you have the Benitez sketch in your hand, I can finally tell you the background on it. When I was at the ECCC, I was fortunate enough to be picked to get a Scott Campbell sketch. Joe Benitez was the artist sharing a table with Scott. While waiting for Scott to finish my sketch, I had to wait to the left-hand side of Scott, standing in front of Joe's spot the whole time. I actually waited for 1.5hrs for Scott to finish my sketch, but it was well worth it to see a master at work. While chatting with Joe, I remembered that you are a Lady Mechanika (Joe Benitez) fan and of course, your Gwen fetish. ;\) I had some spare comic blanks on me, so I asked Joe if he would draw the piece you have before you. I came up with the idea and he just went with it. Joe is a super nice guy and really laid-back. I wish all artists were as easy to talk to as Joe. So the pictures that I previously posted are of Joe working on your piece. He had lots of fun doing it; it was the first time he did Gwen for anyone, and a rare humourous piece for him. He struck out the word Spider-man, so that the title would be Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy Team-Up. I had him personalize it to you along the left-hand margin. But I had him do it in pencil in case you want to erase it because you would prefer it not to be personalized. You are very welcome, and I hope you enjoy it! Yes, the piece did cost something, but it was super affordable and it is just meant to be a little fun momento for you. I had fun watching Joe do it and I will get my own piece from him someday as well.

For me, I'm definitely not into comic art to make money. I'm an old fart like you with a busy career and life. This hobby is my outlet and I enjoy it not only for the art, but equally for the comraderie of meeting and sharing good times with fellow hobbyists. After readng your 'comic room' thread, you are the type of fan that helps make this a fun hobby, and that's why I got the sketch for you. I simply thought you'd appreciate it. Since you couldn't be at ECCC, it is my way of letting you participate. Keep up the good work on your 'comic room'; I really enjoy reading it.

Another reason I got you that sketch is because I am big believer in karma; what goes around comes around! Here's an interesting karma story from the ECCC. I made sure to go to the ECCC charity art auction and purchase a piece (even though I didn't have any interest in any piece) for the very worthwhile cause of the Seattle Children's Hospital. The next day, I end up winning one of the lottery spots for a Scott Campbell sketch. I went to the ECCC specifically to try and get a JSC sketch, but my chances looked pretty bleak after the first 2 days. It was my first time attending a Con where JSC was a guest. I know many fans have tried to get a JSC sketch spanning many conventions, and many years. But not only do I get one on my first try, JSC ends up working on it for the next 1.5hrs instead of his typical 10 minutes. Instead of a quick side profile sketch with just pencils or gray scale markers like he typically does, he ends up drawing me a beautifully colored, detailed sketch of Black Widow. And if I didn't win the JSC lottery, I wouldn't had the chance to stand in front of Joe B's table for so long; long enough for me to remember you, Benitez, and Gwen. Not sure if it is karma or fate, but it at least makes for a nice story.

Maybe we'll bump into each other at future cons!

Edited by n2wdw

That is such a cool story and major kudos for modelmaker's generosity and thoughtfulness! :applause:

By the way, that Emma Stone 8x10 is very classy!

Getting Ready for WW Philly and On-Site Grading

I'm only going to 2 big cons this year, WW Philadelphia and San Diego. (I actually prefer Chicago for comic buying over San Diego, but when you luck out and get SDCC tickets like I did this year, you go!)

I mostly want to go to Philly to get signatures of Norman Reedus and Lauren Cohan. I've become a Walking Dead junkie this year. So this will be the first con I've used CGC to get signatures. Having not done it before, the logistics seem daunting. Get in line for the signature, as you get close run to the CGC booth for a witness, hope a witness is available, hurry back to the line. It's probably easier than I'm figuring.

I'll probably get photos signed. I picked up a photo of Lauren on ebay, I'm still shopping for one of Norman. Worse case I'll just buy one of the photos on their table. I'd like to get a comic signed too. For Lauren the best comic to sign hands down is #10, the first appearance of Maggie. There's really no other option, because no good covers of her character exist (which is kind of strange).

Even stranger, Norman's character Daryl Dixon is not even in the comic book. So no comic for him!

I'm also going to submit some comics to CGC for onsite grading. I now get the advantages (I guess I'm kind of slow). Modern on-site costs $25/book, versus modern fast track at $28. So on-site is less expensive and faster (since fast track still takes over a month). You also save on shipping. One concern I had was what if I can't stay to the end of the show. I called CGC and they assured me they'd ship the books to me. So yeah, I'm definitely going to be part of the group rushing to the CGC booth first thing on Thursday.

A Couple of J. Scott's

I missed out on a CGC SS Cerebus auction today (by a buck!) so I'm drowning my sorrows with Basil Hayden and J. Scott Campell.

I picked this one up from a boardie. We went back and forth on price and I eventually passed. Some time passed, and as I watched this book on eBay and other places I realized the boardie's price was very fair (especially since I would have had to buy raw and then hope it would come in at 9.8). So I PM'd the boardie. He still had the book and the price was the same. So I got it! This illustrates one thing I've come to realize after years of collecting -- the deals I regret most are the ones I let pass through my fingers! (not the bad deals I've made, and I've made a few!)

SuperiorSpider-man20205_zps5c6c4211.jpg

What's cool about this book is it makes a pair with this signed print I got from DScott a couple months ago. Wouldn't it be cool if CGC graded large prints/posters?

CCF04012014_zps77aaf363.jpg

Okay, You Can Have It

Have you heard the joke? A city lawyer goes hunting for the first time. He bags a turkey.

The hick farmer says "Hey this is my land, that's my turkey. Tell you what. We'll take turns kicking each other in the balls. Whoever ends up standing gets the turkey. I go first because it's my land."

So the farmer kicks the attorney in the balls with his metal tipped boots. The lawyer is in deathly pain, but he gets up. "Now it's my turn!" he says.

The farmer says "You know what? You can have the turkey."

How does this relate to comics? I * HATE * THE * COMIC-CONNECT * EXTENDED * BID * FEATURE!

HATE!

Let's just level the playing field for everyone. Hey, New York Jets? Yeah, it's unfair the Pats have Brady. So let's spot you 14 points.

So I've been watching a book for 2 weeks, having placed a tracking bid. GPA has it at $115. I increase my bid to $140. Bam! More time. Another bidder chimes in. Bam! We go back and forth for like 30 minutes, each time the auction is extended. My final bid is $200. The other guy goes $205.

This is a $115 - $135 book!

You know what? You can have the turkey. (Thank you for saving me from myself!)

Edited by n2wdw

I agree with you... I found myself (almost) getting into it last night as well but was able to restrain myself and saved myself some money.

But yes, the extended feature is certainly frustrating!

I agree with you... I found myself (almost) getting into it last night as well but was able to restrain myself and saved myself some money.

But yes, the extended feature is certainly frustrating!

Thanks Hibou. I just won this one. I increased the bid by $5 with 10 seconds left. The dreaded extra time was added, and I went away thinking there was no way I would win. But I did! What a shock!

A ding out of the lower right corner must have brought the grade down. I think it has nice eye appeal, better than 3.0.

MissFury3CGC30168_zps3379a535.jpg

Great book and very nice looking...

That's a strange 'clip' from the bottom RC and I'm guessing that's what brought the grade down. Still, very nice eye appeal on that one!

Okay, You Can Have It - Part 2

I wrote above about how I lost out on a book in this month's ComicConnect auction. Here's the book, GI Combat 138, the 1st appearance of the Losers.

gi21325a_zps4a673a37.jpg

I have an affection for DC war comics. It goes back to when I was a kid, when my family would visit our relatives in New York City. My uncle read war comics. They were all beat up and well read, he wasn't a collector. They were all war comics, most of them DC but a lot Charlton too. There wasn't anything else to do so I read those comics over and over again and I'll always remember that.

I'm not a serious war collector, but I do have fantasies of long runs of the DC Big 5 War titles: G.I. Combat, Our Fighting Forces, All American Men of War, Star Spangled War Stories (later called Unknown Soldier), and Our Army at War (becomes Sgt. Rock). I have a long box (and the start of another) of these titles. I haven't devoted major effort yet, just picking up copies when I can get them cheap (typically for a buck each). Not sure complete runs are possible because I'm really focused on other things, but I'd like to have long runs with a scattering of the keys.

So I wanted GI Combat 138, because I like the Losers reading them so long ago in NYC with my Uncle. ComicConnect had a major offering of DC war this month -- alot of keys -- and most were more than I wanted to spend, especially with WW Philly coming up. But I figured I had a chance of winning GI Combat 138, because this is probably a minor key. As I wrote above, I didn't win it.

Literally after writing my first "You Can Have It" post, I checked out the Golden Age section of the For Sale section here on the CGC board. I couldn't believe what was being offered for sale!

Let me backtrack. Yes, I did want GI Combat 138 the 1st appearance of the Losers. But what I really wanted was #87, the 1st appearance of the Haunted Tank. But that's a major key. C-Connect offered a copy in CGC 6.0 and it ended up selling for $747, way more than I was willing to pay for this book. That might be a good price (I don't know, I don't following this closely), but war isn't a big focus of my collection.

So I click over on the Golden Age Market forum, and KirbyJack is having a big sale of keys. And he's offering a GI Combat 87! http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7738390&fpart=2

We do a few PMs and we agree on a price that's just a touch more than my high bid on the 138. So for just about the same price I got what I really wanted, the first appearance of the Haunted Tank! Lower grade but still. Thanks KirbyJack! How's that for serendipity!

GICombat87225_zpsac729d0c.jpg

Comic Connect Auction and Getting Ready for WW Philadelphia

This month's C-Connect's auction featured 4 Mademoiselle Marie covers. These are hard to find in grade and not many are graded at CGC 5.5 and above. The auction featured two CGC 6.0s and two 5.5s. My dream was to win all 4, but the bidding on the 6.0s was strong. I did win the 5.5s, which I'm really happy with.

StarSpangledWarStories86CGC55193_zps92c4cbaf.jpg

StarSpangledWarStories88CGC55190_zps05b2aa35.jpg

These books put a cramped in my budget for WW Philly. Right now I'm on eBay trying to get 9.8 candidates for my sets. I've decided to only submit Modern on-site. The on-site price of $25 is less than Modern fast track of $28 so makes sense to me.

I have some older comcs I want to grade. But it doesn't look like Value is offered via on-site. I could use Economy on-site but that's $50, versus Value fast track of $35. Value does require a 15 book minute, but building the submission is part of the fun.

I've adjusted my work schedule so I can be there Thursday when it opens or soon after (hopefully!). At most I'll be submitting about 15 books (so don't blame me if they sell out!). I'm also hoping to get a few sigs.

Recent update: It looks like 4 day tickets are sold out! But VIP tickets are still available (but alot more expensive).

I was bummed when WW didn't materialize in NYC!

And I contemplated Philly, but the roster of artists didn't inspire me. And like you, I am going crazy on eBay with multiply bids for comics that I haven't seen in a long time just pop up out of the woodworks shouting at me "Buy me! Buy me!"

Dear Lord, what's a poor collector on a budget to do?

Have a great time at WW!

SW3D

I was bummed when WW didn't materialize in NYC!

And I contemplated Philly, but the roster of artists didn't inspire me. And like you, I am going crazy on eBay with multiply bids for comics that I haven't seen in a long time just pop up out of the woodworks shouting at me "Buy me! Buy me!"

Dear Lord, what's a poor collector on a budget to do?

Have a great time at WW!

SW3D

I know what you mean! I remember when comics were only available once a week at the drug store, trading with friends, and (maybe) a local con once a year. Now there are so many outlets. C-Connect, C-Link, Heritage, eBay, these boards, local and big cons, Mile High, Lone Star, etc. etc. I think the only reason I still go to cons is because I love the excitement and energy and immersing myself in everything comics for a few days.

Edited by n2wdw

Another Gwen Stacy Cover and (NOT) Doing a Good Job Saving for WW Philly

I'm trying to hold off buying to save for WW Philadelphia, but this was too good to pass up. A sexy Broomall Gwen Stacy, with a reasonable BIN price. The seller also allowed offers, so I offered about 15% less than the BIN price and the seller accepted immediately. I guess I have to stop looking at eBay or I'll be going to Philly with empty pockets!

SSX-Men1JenBroomall125_zps3b4a457c.jpg

One Week To WW Philly

To prep for Philly, I've been buying comics off eBay to add to my small stack of comics for on-site grading. The results were mixed. About half are potential 9.8s. I'll submit those.

Others I might submit for pressing and then grading. So I'm putting together another stack of comics for pressing/grading. I'll submit those later this summer.

I've also been buying some comics for signatures. I picked up a copy of Walking Dead #10 for signature by Lauren Cohan (1st Maggie). I wasn't real happy with the condiition once I got it. At best 9.0. Lauren doesn't appear until Saturday, so I have Thursday night and Friday to try to find a better copy at the con for a reasonable price.

There are a bunch of other WD actors appearing. Norman Reedus, Sarah Wayne Callies and Jon Bernthal. I bought a cast photo on eBay but when I got it it was very grainy, like the printer was running out of ink. There was no way the seller couldn't have noticed before sending to me. I was so annoyed by that I left neutral feedback. I stopped short of negative feedback only because the seller advertised himself as a collector not a dealer. The seller was not happy, he emailed me and gave me a story about how I left feedback before giving him a chance to fix it. But you know what, I'm not obligated to give you a chance to fix. You advertised it as a high quality photo and it comes to me grainy. I want other potential buyers to know the quality of your merchandise. I pointed out to him I left him neutral not negative feedback.

So I'll also be shopping at the con for things for signature by the other WD cast members.

Anyway, I got this photo that IS high quality (from a different eBay seller), that I'm planning to get signed by Lauren Cohan and submit to CGC.

_57_zps0c1ee88d.jpg

Good eBay seller -- martin1928

About 2 weeks ago I bought a few moderns from Chris Martin on eBay (martin1928). Five comics cost about $60. I bought them to submit for on-site grading at WW Philly.

Sunday night as I started organizing my stuff for the con I realized I hadn't received the books. I emailed Chris Monday morning and he responded immediately. Long story short, Chris sent me new copies of the books. Not only did he not charge me for the books, but he paid for express shipping so I'd have them before the con.

In addition to Chris's incredible service, he has really high grade stuff. I bought a bunch of moderns from him last year and all 10 graded out at CGC 9.8. Chris advertises his books as 9.2s or 9.4s. In other words, he under grades.

I can't say enough about Chris. Check him out on eBay (martin1928).

Deciding Which Comics to Submit for Grading

Tonight I'll make a final selection on books to submit for on-site grading in Philly. I'm only submitting moderns, as at $25 each they seem to make the best financial sense for me. For my older comics I'm separately putting together my next 15 book submission for Value fast track at $35 each, although right now I only have 4 books so it'll be a while. I could use another tier to submit at Philly but the grading costs are too high for the books I have (Economy at $50 and Standard at $85).

Anyway, as I'm putting together my Modern submission I've been thinking about the threshold question about CGC: why do I grade comics at all? So I'm trying to put together some criteria that I'll use to decide whether to grade or not.

The top 3 are easy:

1. Grading would significantly increase the value of the comic (this will help if I ever need to sell, and will help my kids when I eventually leave my collection to them)

2. The comic is a major key (this is similar to #1)

3. The comic is a favorite key (for example, the first appearance of Joey and Margaret -- of Dennis the Menace fame -- are no more than minor keys but they're childhood favorites so I want to CGC for sentimental reasons)

After you get passed the top 3 things get harder.

4. The comic is in a Set I'm working on. But do I CGC myself or buy one already graded? This is a tough question for modern books as typically I'm looking for 9.8s. I've had at best 50/50 luck buying raw moderns that have a chance at 9.8. For all the money I've wasted I could have waited for an already graded 9.8 to hit eBay. So my preference is to buy already graded comics.

But what if graded comics don't exist? I'm trying to complete my Lady Mechanika set, I only need 2 more comics. One of the comics Lady Mechanika 2 Third Printing is impossible to find already graded. Only 3 graded comics exist. So I really have no choice but to grade myself. But it's hard to find one with a chance at 9.8. I think I have about 6 copies. I'm submitting the best one in Philly and I'm hoping for 9.8 but I think it might get at most 9.6.

5. I really like the cover. But why grade it? For example, I collect Dave Stevens covers. Some I have graded. Others I keep in 3 ring binder mylar sleeves. I like the binder because I can easily look at the covers. So what's the point of grading? This is the one I struggle with the most. I really like the CGC case, I think it displays comics really well. But I only have so much space. I can actually display comics better using binders.

DSCN3046_zpse357399f.jpg

DSCN3051_zps6f7e349d.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

WW Philly Con Report - Thursday

Waiting in VIP line for preview night to open in about another hour. The thing with WW, there are so many VIPs the VIP line seems longer than the regular line. Which sucks for regular attendees. It's like the HOV lane into the con.

I have 17 books for onsite grading and I'll go to the CGC table first thing so I suspect I'll be okay. They're all moderns. I hope to get 9.8s but a few are iffy. One I know will be qualified, the Benitez Gwen sketch cover modelmaker generously got me at ECCC (I wrote about it above).

I hope to get some walking dead autos but some of the actors aren't signing until Saturday and I need to leave in the early afternoon. So I'm stressing a bit over that. Of course, stressing at a con is nothing like stressing at work so I count myself lucky.

1a694e659acb5dfc4977f1a4b6ae2417_zps2a4ac237.jpg

Edited by n2wdw

5 5