• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

And why do they keep making him do something with electricity in all these movies?

That's right out of the comics, although they do tend to overplay it in the films. I assume electricity has always been one of his weapons because electricity itself is one of the most powerful natural forces and controlling it is one of science's greatest achievements, so it fits with a character that's part scientist, part sorcerer.

And dear sweet jesus on a pogo stick did Doom look even worse in this movie than he did in either of the Tim Story movies. It almost feels like Fox is intentionally getting Doom to look as least Doom-like as possible every time. And why do they keep making him do something with electricity in all these movies?
They didn't even attempt to explain Doom. He was in another dimension for over a year. No other apparent lifeforms, no apparent way for Doom to support his life.

So Doom must be some energy-eater who poops ozone. Or sucks on rocks for nutrients.

Plus zero explanation of what Doom did for a year, other than wait for them to come back. Then whats he want to do? Stay there... after destroying our dimension of course. Maybe grab a magazine to take back.

And why do they keep making him do something with electricity in all these movies?

That's right out of the comics, although they do tend to overplay it in the films. I assume electricity has always been one of his weapons because electricity itself is one of the most powerful natural forces and controlling it is one of science's greatest achievements, so it fits with a character that's part scientist, part sorcerer.

My understanding of his control of electricity has to do with his armor, not as a power. He's a sorcerer but also a crazy mad scientist. I mean that they keep giving him electric powers & not a suit that controls electricity. Granted, I may be wrong that it's like 90% suit for his power over electricity, but I was pretty sure that was the case.

And dear sweet jesus on a pogo stick did Doom look even worse in this movie than he did in either of the Tim Story movies. It almost feels like Fox is intentionally getting Doom to look as least Doom-like as possible every time. And why do they keep making him do something with electricity in all these movies?
They didn't even attempt to explain Doom. He was in another dimension for over a year. No other apparent lifeforms, no apparent way for Doom to support his life.

So Doom must be some energy-eater who poops ozone. Or sucks on rocks for nutrients.

Plus zero explanation of what Doom did for a year, other than wait for them to come back. Then whats he want to do? Stay there... after destroying our dimension of course. Maybe grab a magazine to take back.

And how in the world does he just happen to be there when they show up? He's a scientist. Why is he not exploring once he realizes that he doesn't need sustenance or whatever other stuff that they just handwaved away?

Sickening. Yet it could have easily been so much more.

My understanding of his control of electricity has to do with his armor, not as a power. He's a sorcerer but also a crazy mad scientist. I mean that they keep giving him electric powers & not a suit that controls electricity. Granted, I may be wrong that it's like 90% suit for his power over electricity, but I was pretty sure that was the case.

Yea, it's the suit in the comics and he has no powers apart from sorcery. Most authors and artists don't even show him using sorcery, but sometimes they do. All of the modern incarnations show him as gaining powers along with the FF starting with Ultimate FF and including both films.

Not sure when the sorcery elements started because I so rarely see him using them. Was he a sorcerer in any of the Lee/Kirby stories? I don't remember any where he was. (shrug) I do remember him using tons of gadgets he invented though...I thought that Lee wanted him to be a pure mad inventor.

Yea, it's the suit in the comics and he has no powers apart from sorcery. Most authors and artists don't even show him using sorcery, but sometimes they do. All of the modern incarnations show him as gaining powers along with the FF starting with Ultimate FF and including both films.

Not sure when the sorcery elements started because I so rarely see him using them. Was he a sorcerer in any of the Lee/Kirby stories? I don't remember any where he was. (shrug) I do remember him using tons of gadgets he invented though...I thought that Lee wanted him to be a pure mad inventor.

the stuff you've written was my understanding as well.

And how in the world does he just happen to be there when they show up? He's a scientist. Why is he not exploring once he realizes that he doesn't need sustenance or whatever other stuff that they just handwaved away?

During that year, Doom had other adventures involving Blaastar and Annihilus. He had learned the exact time they were returning by monitoring communications in our world during that period, so he timed being at the "pickup point" when that occurred. The reason he wanted to destroy our world and return to the negative zone is because of what he discovered during that year. This was all going to be explained in the sequel.

Edited by rjrjr

During that year, Doom had other adventures involving Blaastar and Annihilus. He had learned the exact time they were returning by monitoring communications in our world during that period, so he timed being at the "pickup point" when that occurred. The reason he wanted to destroy our world and return to the negative zone is because of what he discovered during that year. This was all going to be explained in the sequel.

Got a source/link on that or is it just speculation?

the stuff you've written was my understanding as well.

He's always been into the sorcery (starting in FF#5). He studied the "black arts". Some of the origin sequence (which they expanded in FF Annual 2) shows him practicing.

Marvel-Milestone-Edition-Fantastic-Four-No.-5-1992.jpg

However, in those Lee/Kirby stories, he didn't really use it. Always relying more on the gadgets and inventions. Most likely to demonstrate to Richards that his intellect was superior.

Going back to Disney ?

Not for a decade unless Marvel makes a deal to get them back.

And Marvel missed their window to make a deal when they rubber stamped Fox's X-Men tv shows without getting anything big back in return.

Going back to Disney ?

And Marvel missed their window to make a deal when they rubber stamped Fox's X-Men tv shows without getting anything big back in return.

You never know - the two could have something bigger in the works hm

Going back to Disney ?

You never know - the two could have something bigger in the works hm

Certainly possible. Might have been a "gesture of good will" on Marvel/Disney's part after the contentious relationship between the 2 companies when Ike was in absolute control. We still aren't sure if this was an Ike-involved decision (since TV side is still under Ike's control) or not. Buuuuttt... we can keep our fingers crossed that something might happen. However, as it stands, Fox got Marvel/Disney's approval for going forward with 2 X-Men tv shows and Marvel/Disney got nothing (outside of their normal $$ cut. Yet).