• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What? No #1? posted by bagofleas

5 posts in this topic

What the heck? I find all of the hard ones before the most plentiful one?

I bought Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.EL.D. #2 off of WorldWide Comics a couple of years ago, mainly because of the Sienkiewicz cover. Also because it is the lowest print run of the mini series.

Since #3 was also available on WW at the time, I went ahead and bought it as well. I figured I could just keep an eye out for the rest. They shouldn't cost too much since it's not a fanatically sought after series by any stretch of the imagination.

But that also means that not many get submitted for grading either. Since my WW purchase two years ago, I haven't seen a single CGC 9.8 copy of any of the other four issues... until this weekend.

#4, #5 and #6 ALL showed up on HA for last weeks auction! I, of course, went after them like the moth to the flame! And thankfully, got all three of them for a very low price! Awesome!

One of the neat things about this series is that the writer, the penciler and the inker stayed the same throughout the series. But five of the covers were all done by different artists. Bill Sienkiewicz, Joe Jusko, Kevin Nowlan and Tom Palmer all lent their talents to these covers, as well as the iconic Jim Steranko, who did two of the covers.

The unusual thing about this set of mine is that when it comes to CGC comics, #1 is usually the most plentiful graded copy. But for some reason, I simply haven't been able to find a 9.8 copy of #1 yet. So now I have the whole set EXCEPT for #1, which is highly unusual for this set.

Very odd. Anyway, I was very happy with the pickup, and if someone out there has a 9.8 of number one they wouldn't mind parting with, let me know.

By acquiring these last three issues, I have now jumped into the #1 rank on the set! I will probably take #2 to Megacon for Sienkiewicz to sign in March and #6 to Supercon for Palmer to sign in July. I mean heck, why not, right?

Below is the cover of #5. It kind of reminds me of the movie "Skyline" where the aliens were sucking up people into their ships.

14939.jpg

See more journals by bagofleas

Nice score, I took a peek on HA. I too scored a Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom #2 on HA last night for a low price. I saw where my Indy and your Nick Fury books came from the Empire Comics Collection, looks like this collection has tones of '80s/Copper goodness.

I like the covers for Fury #5 and 6, congratulations again on your acquisitions!

Brandon

Nick fury is framed and believed to be a traitor to Shield. Shield even creates androids to impersonate some of Fury's allies in order to capture or even destroy him.

The story is about his trying to clear his his name and set things right with Shield while simultaneously having to fight Shield to do so. Not knowing who to trust as an ally or as a possible android doesn't help matters.

And I didn't mean there weren't any 9.8s of number one, just that I haven't been able to find one to purchase. Tnerb actually has a 9.8 of number one. It's just a matter of finding a copy for sale or auction. They're out there. Just a matter of time.