• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deadly Class

221 posts in this topic

#26 was AMAZING. Definitely thought there was some potential for at least part of that surprise to go down, but I think it was pulled off masterfully. Didn't feel forced or like a "gotcha" cheap moment. I can not wait to see what has been going on with those two!

1 hour ago, artistlost said:

Looks like SiFi just ordered a TV pilot so we may actually get a Deadly Class TV show!

Why Syfy though? I think it's a very poor choice of network. Netflix, FX, AMC, would have been my top three and would've got the show tons of publicity. I honestly didn't even know that channel was doing original material now. Don't get my wrong I love the comic and hope the show is amazing I just worry about the production values

19 minutes ago, Michael Lamm said:

Why Syfy though? I think it's a very poor choice of network. Netflix, FX, AMC, would have been my top three and would've got the show tons of publicity. I honestly didn't even know that channel was doing original material now. Don't get my wrong I love the comic and hope the show is amazing I just worry about the production values

I think SyFy is upping their game recently. Check out The Expanse. I haven't watched Wynonna Earp, but the reviews for that have been very favorable.

2 hours ago, Michael Lamm said:

It's not like you can just say, "OK, I'm making a show on your network".

31 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

It's not like you can just say, "OK, I'm making a show on your network".

No, but depending on the licensing a creator may be able to say no to SyFy while holding out for a Netflix or HBO. 

I vaguely recall hearing that Lock & Key may have done something like that. In general though, that seems unlikely. And as already stated, SyFy had proven they can make solid television. The real proof (before airing of course) will be in the budget and show runner. 

2 hours ago, Hekla said:

I think SyFy is upping their game recently. Check out The Expanse. I haven't watched Wynonna Earp, but the reviews for that have been very favorable.

I will check them out. Since Rick Remender is heavily involved in the writing of the pilot I have very high hopes that it will be a great show. I just think one of the other networks that have a good reputation developing comic based material and promoting them heavily would've been a better choice. Obviously as a creator if you don't get offers or are asked to relinquish control then you would have to say no. In order for a comic tv show to be successful you are going to have to get people outside the comic world to watch your show. Deadly Class sells roughly about 20,000 books a month. They are going to have to get the non comic book fan on board I sure hope Syfy is up to the task. My wife and I love the comic and have been reading since issue 1 so definitely looking forward to it!

I hope they do an amazing job of it. Sifi, Netflix, AMC doesn't matter. I just want a great version of Deadly Class on TV. I love the book. It and Southern Bastards are my favorite books on the shelves right now. I actually sold off all of my comics but kept my Deadly Class (and Southern Bastards) books as I just couldn't bare with letting them go. In fact, for those who don't know my current collecting tastes, I am heavily invested in Deadly Class not only with my run of comics and variants but also original artwork. I have owned a few pages and covers of the years but through it all these are two of my favorite works of art I own...

Early Wes Craig page

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1374167

and the variant cover by Declan Shalvey

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1300689

Edited by artistlost

32 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

No, but depending on the licensing a creator may be able to say no to SyFy while holding out for a Netflix or HBO. 

I vaguely recall hearing that Lock & Key may have done something like that. In general though, that seems unlikely. And as already stated, SyFy had proven they can make solid television. The real proof (before airing of course) will be in the budget and show runner. 

If Locke & Key used that method, I think it's a pretty telling sign for others to NOT do it that way.

8 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

If Locke & Key used that method, I think it's a pretty telling sign for others to NOT do it that way.

I'm not so certain. I'm still relatively positive that we'll see Locke & Key on television or in the movie theater at some point. Joe Hill continues to become more famous and that only helps. I've never seen the pilot that they made, so I can't speak to the quality of it, but just because that was passed on doesn't mean that whatever they've done is the way 'NOT' to do it.  Things don't always happen quickly, they could have a hit movie or television series in a year, five years, a decade, etc. Faster isn't always better.

1 minute ago, SquareChaos said:

I'm not so certain. I'm still relatively positive that we'll see Locke & Key on television or in the movie theater at some point. Joe Hill continues to become more famous and that only helps. I've never seen the pilot that they made, so I can't speak to the quality of it, but just because that was passed on doesn't mean that whatever they've done is the way 'NOT' to do it.  Things don't always happen quickly, they could have a hit movie or television series in a year, five years, a decade, etc. Faster isn't always better.

It was picked up again by Hulu recently.

Fox passed on it and Universal optioned it in 2013.

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

It was picked up again by Hulu recently.

Fox passed on it and Universal optioned it in 2013.

I recall the Hulu announcement, don't think I'd known about Universal. I hear Hulu's Handmaid's Tale was pretty well made. Anyway, compared to most of the garbage ideas on television, L&K is definitely due consideration.

7 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I recall the Hulu announcement, don't think I'd known about Universal. I hear Hulu's Handmaid's Tale was pretty well made. Anyway, compared to most of the garbage ideas on television, L&K is definitely due consideration.

It will eventually be made, people will love it like we loved the comic, and the 1st issue will soar. 

Patrick

It's been some time since I added anything to my collection but when I saw this amazing Deadly Class cover coming up for sale I had to have it. This cover was used twice, once in it's entirety for the upcoming cover for Deadly Class Volume 7 tpb and the top half for the cover to issue #32. It features the entire current gang of heroes (if you can call trained teenage killers heroes) and villains not too mention a ton of yakuza ninja's in the back. Love Wes' work on this and happy to have it in my collection

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1465929

thanks for looking and comments are always welcome

mathew