• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Frazetta / Boris Vallejo: Who knows some similar artists

39 posts in this topic

Hardly in the same league as Frazetta, but you might want to look up some of Kev Walker's and Wayne England's painted art in my CAF (as per my signature line - images 4 and 2)).

Click onto the underneath link . . .

Back in the 90s I decided I wanted fantasy art (way before I thought I could afford a Frazetta). In my mind I thought the images I loved from my old D&D books when I was younger were by the Hildebrandts or Clyde Caldwell. When I looked for images nothing really struck me. So, I searched out some old D&D books (2nd Edition) and looked at all the illustrations and found the one artist I liked almost every time was Daniel Horne. I was able to find him, go to his home and pick out a couple of paintings and some large sketches/prelims.

His art has gone up recently as he has a couple of famous fans that have started collecting his art. I'm glad I found an example I was happy with early on.

As I'm into fine painting (oilpaint) myself, I'm truly a fan of the work of Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo (or see the images below).

Question: Who knows some similar artists?

In terms of artists who are similar to Frazetta, there is Ken Kelly, who was Ellie`s nephew and considered by some to be Frank`s protege. Notable works include the covers of Kiss` "Destroyer" and "Love Gun" albums.

The other choice that immediately comes to mind is Jeff Jones.

As to artists who are similar to Boris, the main name that comes to mind is Thomas Kinkaid.

If you are looking for oilpainters that paint with realism in this space you might try donato giancola

I think I have seen you mention Donato Giancola before, his work is stunning. I came across it myself a few years ago and have been contemplating a painted commission from this wonderful artist for a while now. So I can also endorse Donato Giancola as someone whose art is indeed worth looking at!

If you are looking for oilpainters that paint with realism in this space you might try donato giancola

I think I have seen you mention Donato Giancola before, his work is stunning. I came across it myself a few years ago and have been contemplating a painted commission from this wonderful artist for a while now. So I can also endorse Donato Giancola as someone whose art is indeed worth looking at!

I like Donato's art although not having seen any in person I'm not sure how I feel about it. There are aspects of the reproduced images that I am not sure I like 100%. In person though sometimes those look different or just don't matter. So.. I am not sure what to think. I was just trying to capture what the OP was looking for, but there were some other good suggestions made, esp. by Brian Peck.