• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE N00B GUIDE
18 18

477 posts in this topic

INTRODUCE YOURSELF:
HERE

YOUR CGC BOARDS ORIGIN STORY:
HERE

HOW YOU GOT YOUR BOARDIE NAME/AVATAR:
NAME

WHAT DO YOU LOOK LIKE?:
HERE

WHERE ARE YOU FROM?:
HERE

WHAT DO YOU DO?:
HERE & HERE

ARCH'S POST SCALE:

HERE

1 - Universally acceptable post

2 - Slightly challenging post, but nothing insulting - maybe a little "wow, I don't get you" attitude

3 - Vigorous post - weaves in a little "I have no idea how you reached that conclusion" along with a nice dose of very weakly implied "you must be dumb" or "I'm way smarter than you"

4 - Aggressive post - pretty much calling the other person crazy or unintelligent although perhaps in long wordy ways that attempt to mask it, or explaining how much more intelligent and righteous you are - note that this isn't about comparing facts, it's about the attitude invested in the word choice. This kind of post can exist with or without fact comparison. It can be woven right into rational arguments or laced into a refusal to make sense.

5 - Attacking post - name calling, complete and obvious disrespect MAYBE light profanity, maybe not

6 - No self control - heavy profanity, intimidation, implied threats

7 - Unlawful - explicit threats

UPLOAD A PHOTO:

Generally, never post an image larger than 1000px for either Horizontal or Vertical.

You can resize large photos or scans on Microsoft Paint.

- Open the image with Microsoft Paint

- "Resize" at the top left

- Select "Pixels"

- Usually 700 - 750 for the longer side is best

Upload using www.tinypic.com

(You can resize here as well: Message Board (640x480))

Upload your image, then copy and paste the:

"IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards"

You can also do a Google Image search for images:

Google Images, click on the image, click "View Image", copy the link at the top of your browser, paste it using 28iyopl.gif above.

Other sites to upload:

http://postimage.org/

http://www.photobucket.com (if you use Photobucket, be advised the image will disappear after a period of time)

http://imgur.com/

POSTING VIDEOS:

1) Copy the "embed" code from your video source. Looks like:

2) Choose the "full reply" option.

14327wx.png

3) Below the posting box you will see a tab that says "using UBBCode"

Switch that to "using HTML andUBBCode"

148kp51.png

4) Paste the "embed" code.

5) Hit submit.

6) :acclaim:

SMILEYS & I'LL TAKE IT:

Go to the Full Reply Screen, click on the item pointed to here:

Gic9igo.jpg

Then click on the one circled (or any other smiley for other posts.)

DEZx9g1.jpg

If you want to do that for the "I'll take it" guy, it looks like this:

SEARCH TIPS:

You want to first click the "Search" link at the top of the chat boards.

Next, select the section of the boards that you want to search in the box on the left.

Then, type the keywords that you are searching for in the box at the top on the right.

Use +keyword for required keywords.

Use -keyword to exclude posts with a keyword.

Use quotes around a phrase to search for a phrase.

Use a * at the end of the word to match partial words.

Below that you want to set the timeline of your search parameters (default is Newer than one week).

Finally you want to have the engine search the boards.

If you get too many responses you may want to try more keywords, not enough responses, try fewer keywords or less-specific variations.

UNWRITTEN MARKETPLACE RULES:

If you are new here and are interested in buying books in the marketplace, please understand that the Marketplace on these forums is a 'buyer beware' environment - it is your responsibility to do your own research to avoid overpaying for an item. If a member is misrepresenting their items or price history, take it to the Discussion Thread.

You are also responsible to review the Probation/Hall of Shame List , this list is maintained by the community to help members avoid those who have had problems selling on the forum or outside of the forum between two board members.

There is also a Kudos Forum in the marketplace which is reserved for positive feedback only, to find a Kudos thread use the options at the bottom of the marketplace & sort by thread-starter to find their Kudos thread.

The general law of the land is that "a deal is a deal" - if you are contemplating a purchase, choose your words carefully to ensure that your intentions are understood.

In general, opinions are shared freely on sales taking place elsewhere. People often question price, grade etc...that type of commentary is NOT allowed in any active sales threads, disrupting a fellow board members sales thread is considered threadkrapping - the forum moderators will issue strikes for disrupting sales threads.

SALES THREAD GUIDELINES:
:rulez:HERE

ACCEPTABLE POST FOR SALES VIOLATIONS:

Hello!

Welcome to the "Comics Market - Forum Only Selling" board!

The moderators have asked everyone around here to help educate new comers about the posting rules for this forum so that we can keep things running smoothly. So whenever we see a new thread go up that's missing some of the information required by the rules, someone will generally happen along and post this reminder (by moderator request).

You can find the posting guidelines here:

Specifically, you should check out #s (FILL IN SOME NUMBERS HERE. OR DON'T. LET'S FACE IT DIGGING UP RULE NUMBERS IS ACTUALLY WORK.)

They are well worth reading, because your posts can be removed from the boards if they don't conform to the guidelines. This will help you to attract more buyers as well, since this is how people expect to have books offered around here.

Thanks, and glad to have you here!

>> DON'T BE LAZY - FILL IN THE NUMBERS <<

(1) Books must be CGC or raw only, or items directly related to comics.

(2) No spamming. Group your for sale items into as few threads as is reasonable. Attempts to take up front page real estate by creating multiple threads for no reason are not allowed.

(3) List your books only once, and in the appropriate sub-forum. Incorrectly placed threads or books posted in multiple places will be moved. Repeat offenders will have their threads pulled completely.

(4) It must be an exclusive board-only offer. If the book is offered for sale through another venue (ebay, dealer site, personal web site, etc.) then it should NOT be offered here. It should be offered in the Sales Advertising board.

(5) Links to outside sites for any purpose involving purchasing the offered books are not allowed.

(6) It must list specific books with purchase prices. It is acceptable to bulk price, and/or to note that package discounts may be available, but you must list a starting price that you WILL sell for.

(7) List scans or information about the grade of the offered books.

(8) List estimated shipping costs, times, and methods.

(9) List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal PayPal payment is NOT allowed as a listed option in your post as it is not appropriate for item purchases.)

(10) If posting a trading thread you must list a dollar value price for the book that you WILL accept in TRADE VALUE, and you MUST put "TRADE ONLY" in the title of your thread if you will not accept money.

(11) Prompt responses must be made to buy requests made through the boards (posts or PMs).

(12) Threads may be bumped three times total AND only ONE FULL DAY AFTER falling off of the front page. This does not include "sold" notices, or truly useful informational updates. Note: we CAN tell the difference between a real update and a fake bump-update. Tread that line at your own risk. If you're spam bumping, "lawyering" the rules will not save you.

(13) Threads selling digital codes or digital versions are not allowed.

PROBATION/HALL OF SHAME LIST:
HERE

PROBATION DISCUSSION:
HERE

BLOCKED EBAY USER LIST:
HERE

PACKAGE YOUR BOOKS FOR SHIPPING:
HERE

Double boxing: 1092 box inside 1095 box.

WHAT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY COMIC?
FIND IT
TALK ABOUT IT

CLASS OF...:
HERE

WHICH BOARDIE KNOWS WHAT:
HERE

SCANNER THREAD:
HERE

PRESSING DISCUSSIONS:
HERE
HERE 2
HERE 3
HERE 4
HERE 5
INFO

REMOVING ODOR FROM COMICS:
HERE

POST SOME ORIGINAL ART:
HERE

FIRST APPEARANCES:
HERE

TOP FIVE FAVORITE COVERS:
HERE

TOP FIVE GRAILS:
HERE

COMIC AGES:
HERE

PEDIGREE INFO:
GENERAL INFO
HERE
HERE2
SUSCHA NEWS
WESTERN PENN

STATUE COLLECTIONS:
HERE

COMIC ROOMS:
HERE

CLUB LIST:

FOCUSED COLLECTING:

THE GIVING TREE:
HERE

THE GIVING TREE RULES:

• [1] No HOS/PL Members.
  • [2] You must have at least 50 posts and 3 months on the Boards.
  • [3](a)If you claim something, you must post your offering within 24 hours.
    (b) Rescission of a claim/offer will result in a strike.
  • [4] Only one "official" current offer at a time. No tacking on to the offer by others.
  • [5] However, members can offer up things at any time that can be claimed by anyone to spread goodwill.
  • [6] Post pics or scans of the book(s) you're giving away.
  • [7] No Mystery Boxes. All items listed must be specified in the offer.
  • [8](a) Only one :takeit: per month, per member. This is a rolling month time period.
    (b)(i) Exception: After 48 hours of an offer being posted, anyone is free to claim it and offer up an item.
    (b)(ii) If you state interest in an offering and are subject to the 48 Hour Rule, you are ineligible to claim the offering.
  • [9](a) 3 day window to have an offer claimed. Unclaimed offers will result in a strike.
    (b)Time starts when you take something.
  • [10](a) 3 Strike Rule:
    Strike 1 - one month suspension
    Strike 2 - three month suspension
    Strike 3 - permanent ban weblog-smiley-101.gif
    (b) RAK's are included in the suspension period
    © In rare instances, I will use discretion with community input re: a free pass.
  • [11] If an offer is not claimed, anyone is free to post an offer to jump start the thread.
  • [12] If your items are not claimed, you are not allowed to offer them again.
  • [13] You can only claim something from each member once in a given year.
  • [14](a) The offeror has "veto power" to reject a take it of their offer.
    (b) A veto will result in a strike.
    © If a veto is not used, you must ship your items to the claimer.

***********************************************************************************************************************

Just remember - if all you do is take and give nothing back, there will be nothing left of the tree.

***********************************************************************************************************************

PAY IT FORWARD / PIF:
HERE

Here is the deal: I'm going to give away this book to the first person who wants it and posts :takeit: . Free, including shipping. In turn, that person MUST offer a book(s) free to the next taker by posting on this thread, and so on, and so on. While it does not have to be of exact equal value of what you took, please offer quality book(s) that someone can appreciate.

RULES:

• You must not be on the Hall of Shame list or be in poor standing on the boards
  • You must have at least 50 posts
  • If you claim some book(s), you must post your offering within 24 hours
  • Only one offer at a time. No new book(s) can be posted until the existing offer has been claimed
  • Post pics or scans of the book(s) you're giving away. Cell phone pics are fine
  • Don't take book(s) if you've got nothing to offer in return
  • If none of your offers are claimed within 4 days (96 hours) of your first offer, the previous offer automatically goes back up.
  • Don't ship your offer until you confirm the following offer has been claimed.
  • Ship book(s) quickly so people aren't left hanging. No later than two weeks after someone claims your offer.
  • Only one :takeit: every 7 days per member.
  • Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them
  • You can ONLY "take" a book after it has been listed.
  • Be honest
  • Have fun!

- People offer books for free to the participants in the thread (first to claim gets them). There are no fixed rules about the value of what is offered.

- The person who claims then has to put up their own offer.

- In the past, some very generous offers have been claimed, with the boardie who claimed them following up with junk books (hence "junk donkey").

- This caused lots of resentment. Several people became disillusioned and stopped participating in the thread.

- Recently, the thread rules were changed to try to mitigate this problem. 10 people voted against the rule change - the inference being that these are the "junk donkeys" who will now be prevented from scooping up the good offers and not reciprocating appropriately.

THE TRADING POST:
HERE

BOARD GAMES:

SIGNATURE SERIES FOR NOOBS:
HERE

WINDOW BAG BOOKS FOR SS:
HERE

MYLAR BAGS:
HERE

GLOSSARY OF TERMS:
HERE

CGC PAGE QUALITY:
PAGE QUALITY CHART
PQ DISCUSSION

THE OWL CARD:

291f3aa.jpg

GRADING INFORMATION:

LONGBOX/SHORTBOX ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS:

NAVIGATE BY PAGE NUMBER:

Pages are numbered in the URL at the location bar on your browser. So if you are on page 769, the URL should end with "part=769' - if you wanted to navigate to page 482, replace 769 with 482, hit enter, and you are there.

LINK TO A SPECIFIC POST:

Click on the 25rfhbc.gif to the left of "Re: Thread Subject" and your browser should refresh. Copy and paste the URL link.

ADJUST BOARD VIEW

bababooey said:
To adjust board view in My Preferences

29y25j.jpg

WHO'S ONLINE?:

Click on the Portal Page tab and scroll down part way you'll find a total count of who's on-line.

2rhbvya.png

---------------------------------------------------------

21nnwn8.png

FLASHING SIGNATURE LINE INSTRUCTIONS:

www.picasion.com

Make sure your images/scans are all the same size before uploading. I generally keep my scans exactly at 640 x 1024. If your scans aren't the same size, the gif doesn't come out right once uploaded. Upload your images by "Choose File". You can do up to 10 images per gif.

Adjust Size: I generally do Advanced, 135.

Adjust Speed: Slower (3 sec)

Create Animation.

Copy the BBCode for forum/board.

[ URL=http://picasion.com/i/20jox /][ IMG]http://i.picasion.com/pic76/aeafb75496e0315d9f9f7521a951f62f/{{FRAME}}.gif[/img][/url]picasion.com 20jox[/ URL ]

Use ONLY from "" through "" deleting everything else.

[ IMG]http://i.picasion.com/pic76/aeafb75496e0315d9f9f7521a951f62f/{{FRAME}}.gif[/img ]

Now, delete "/{{FRAME}}" from the code so that you're left with this:

[ IMG ]http://i.picasion.com/pic76/aeafb75496e0315d9f9f7521a951f62f.gif[/img ]

Use the edited code in your sig line and you're good to go! (thumbs u

MISC. TERMINOLOGY

AGH - Ain't Gonna Happen

ASM - Amazing Spiderman

BA - Bronze Age

BC - Back Cover

CA - Copper Age

CF - Centerfold

CFO - Centerfold Out

CGC -Certified Guaranty Company (no it's not the 'comic grading company')

Costanza - Cover shrinkage - cause unknown

CBT - Color-breaking Tick

CPR - Crack, Press, Resubmit

CT - Color Touch (Restoration)

DB - person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed

DBA - Don't Bother Asking

EA - Extensive Amateur (Restoration)

EP - Extensive Professional (Restoration)

FA - First Appearance

FB - Feedback

F/B - Flashback

FC - Front Cover

FTFY - Fixed That For You

GA - Golden Age

HG - High Grade

IBTL - In Before the Lock

ICYDK - In Case You Didn't Know

IDK - I Don't Know

IMO - In My Opinion

IMHO - In My Humble Opinion

IMSM - Iron Man Sub Mariner

JIM - Journey Into Mystery

JK/JS - Jack Kirby/Joe Simon

LG - Low Grade

LCS - Local Comic Shop

MHC - Mile High Collection

MMMS - Merry Marvel Marching Society

MOS - Man of Steel

MTU - Marvel Team-Up

NARU - Not a Registered User

NCB - Non-Color Breaking

NPB - Non-Paying Bidder

OA - Original Art

OP - Original Poster

QFT - Quoted For Truth

SA - Slight Amateur (Restoration)

SA - Silver Age

SCS - Spine Cover Separation

SDCC - San Diego Comic-Con

SMH - Shaking My Head

SL/JK - Stan Lee/Jack Kirby

SP - Slight Professional (Restoration)

TOS - Tales of Suspense

TTA - Tales to Astonish

So, there has been a lot of :pullhair: and :frustrated: with noobs lately. I wanted to compile a list of helpful topics, threads and tips that could be easily accessible so the same questions aren't asked ad nauseaum and to prevent the inevitable start of a new thread when an old one already exists.

If anyone has any threads to add, I will add them to the first post.

(thumbs u

:applause:

pretty ironic you would post all this when you've only been a member here for a little more than a year

[ IMG]http://i.picasion.com/pic76/aeafb75496e0315d9f9f7521a951f62f.gif[/img]

pretty ironic you would post all this when you've only been a member here for a little more than a year

Not really ironic? I've just learned a lot over the last year and I want to help.

Not everyone is a dooche. (thumbs u WTTB and Happy New Year!

Its helpful and appreciated. I'm fairly certain a person with over 7k posts in year knows what's going on.

Not really ironic? I've just learned a lot over the last year and I want to help.

:)

You need to add a section called "How To Quote Without Looking Like a Dingus."

You don't need to welcome him. He's been here before

Give it a rest Hamchuck! (tsk)

He has contributed more to the Boards with just this thread than you probably will EVER do, or HAVE done in with your other accounts.

Go post some graemlins and get over it...

BTW if you don't know how to post graemlins, look at the first post on this thread.

But you've been here before so you know how :gossip:

Its helpful and appreciated. I'm fairly certain a person with over 7k posts in year knows what's going on.

+1

Looks good buddy (thumbs u

Pretty ironic you would post this, when you have only been here less than a month.