• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE N00B GUIDE
18 18

477 posts in this topic

Good Evening All, (new member and first post)

What is better for price appreciation when buying an already graded/slabbed comic:

1 - Lower grade BUT white pages (IE: 5.0 whitepages) 

2 - Higher grade off-white/cream pages (8.0 off-white/cream pages)

I'm thinking white pages are more important but... since its pertaining to ONLY graded copies and the cover is only seen and hence more like a piece of art, a higher grade would be better for price appreciation in the future.  No time line for value to go up (maybe like 20-30 years from now, this is just for me to pass down)

For more details, i'm looking at getting some silver and bronze age comics (first appearances and #1 issues).  Obviously higher grade and white pages is the grail

Thanks All and look forward to your answers :)

Hey. I've been a casual collector since I was a kid but now I'm looking to upgrade.

Stupid question but I figure here is the best place to ask stupid questions.

If I get my comic book signed by an artist and WITNESSED by CGC can I send the comic into CGC at a later date to be graded and pressed?
Or am I required to immediately get the issue to the CGC booth for grading?

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 10:10 AM, Airmangrace said:

Hey. I've been a casual collector since I was a kid but now I'm looking to upgrade.

Stupid question but I figure here is the best place to ask stupid questions.

If I get my comic book signed by an artist and WITNESSED by CGC can I send the comic into CGC at a later date to be graded and pressed?
Or am I required to immediately get the issue to the CGC booth for grading?

its been awhile since this was posted, but if your book has left the chain of custody/possession/view of CGC witnesses/employees, it is ineligible for CGC SS.  THere's a newb thread in the Signature Room subforum you can check out.

7 hours ago, Mami111 said:

photoshop is fake one... The real one is when people draw art using their talent... like this artist from malaysia named Vince Low he draw beautiful potrait and sells on his website for only $100... his art is masterpiece

Nice to meet you, Mr. Low.

-slym

5 hours ago, Mami111 said:

scribbling is one of the art technique... Look at this... the artist draw my favourite artist which is taylor swift i feel so amazed with his artwork

6.PNG.5347f0a177d6900ff4308df7e0611b72.PNG

The actual "artist" is the drawn person's parents. This is derivative drek - not "art".

Are you telling me that my friend's 2-year old scribbling on a People magazine is art!? (tsk)

I'm brand new to CGC and had a question about pricing.  I just paid $150.00 for the middle tier.  I  believe I should be getting a $150.00 credit too once I complete my transaction since I'm a new member. 

I'm in the middle of submitting 10 modern comics for grading but the first three comics (The Amazing Spider-Man #299, The Amazing Spider-Man #300, The Amazing Spider-Man #301) all came to $85.00 each respectively while for the subsequent comics I was only charged $18.00 a piece.  

I was under the impression that any comic from 1975 and later would qualify as a modern comic and I would only be charged $18.00 plus a few other minor fees.  Please advise a newbie. 

Thanks

On 4/27/2020 at 9:21 PM, Dallas Guy said:

I'm brand new to CGC and had a question about pricing.  I just paid $150.00 for the middle tier.  I  believe I should be getting a $150.00 credit too once I complete my transaction since I'm a new member. 

I'm in the middle of submitting 10 modern comics for grading but the first three comics (The Amazing Spider-Man #299, The Amazing Spider-Man #300, The Amazing Spider-Man #301) all came to $85.00 each respectively while for the subsequent comics I was only charged $18.00 a piece.  

I was under the impression that any comic from 1975 and later would qualify as a modern comic and I would only be charged $18.00 plus a few other minor fees.  Please advise a newbie. 

Thanks

There are fees associated with value. Those 3 ASM comics are fairly big-$$$$$. They were probably bumped a tier because of this.

Hi Drey here, new member with a quick question on submitting.   And forgive me if this has been posted before (it has but I need a little extra info.  Call me Noob if you want.)  I want to submit 5 comics. ****
Is there a site where I can find what the fmv is of the comics I am sending is as they are yet to be graded? I do not now what consider in my assessment as it is the grade that determines its value if I understand that right.  

All 5 comics are modern, post 1975 comics and I would like to get this done right. 

A quick example of one of the comics being sent is Amazing Spider-Man 361 (first appearance of Carnage)   Bought for $50 in excellent condition about 2 years ago   

thank you to who ever has time to answer my post

Edited by DkpNelson

Read the old price guides (Overstreet) and fandom mags newspapers so on.  Read them till the pages start falling out.. Nothing like old school learning. Trust me.The satisfaction is much greater than staring in a screen.

Edited by ablue

If you have a problem with a comic you got graded how do you contact someone at CGC?  I submitted a Spider-Man 300 for grading and a specialty label.  It came back with a 9.2 (not too shabby) and an X-Men specialty label.  I am relatively certain I selected the Spider-Man specialty label for my SPIDER-MAN book.  How can I see my original order to verify if it was my mistake or theirs?  And if it was their mistake how do I contact someone to fix this?