• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cap 3 club
3 3

217 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Ahh............one of your 7 keepers.  (thumbsu

I can definitely see why as it's a truly beautiful copy.  :luhv:

Thanks, lou_fine. You are very observant. Hey I started to mention it to you in your recent Centaur post: I, too, was in Hong Kong last week. You probably already know that one of our fellow boardies, tth2, actually lives in Hong Kong. I talked to him and may meet up with him when I return in a few months(my wife has business out there, so I tag along when I have time).  How cool is that?!

Is this the Jerry Robinson copy?  (I can't figure out how to post an ebay link to a completed auction that doesn't redirect to a different auction, so just click on "view original item' on this link)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CAPTAIN-AMERICA-COMICS-3-CGC-0-5-Poor-with-BRITTLE-Pages-/264270968475

Edited by cousin itt
still trying to paste a link that actually works.

Bumping this thread to see what the current status/consensus is on Cap #3. I know it's still ranked below Cap #2 in this years Overstreet, which to anyone who buys/sells in the GA market knows isn't the case, and hasn't been for a long time. It's pretty much a given that Cap #1 won't slow down in demand due to it being his first appearance and an iconic comic, but has Cap #3 seen its demand wane or stagnate any now that the Steve Rogers version of Cap is not featured in the MCU films, which in turn means he's no longer in the public pop-culture consciousness?

On 9/19/2021 at 1:13 PM, Illustrious said:

Bumping this thread to see what the current status/consensus is on Cap #3. I know it's still ranked below Cap #2 in this years Overstreet, which to anyone who buys/sells in the GA market knows isn't the case, and hasn't been for a long time. It's pretty much a given that Cap #1 won't slow down in demand due to it being his first appearance and an iconic comic, but has Cap #3 seen its demand wane or stagnate any now that the Steve Rogers version of Cap is not featured in the MCU films, which in turn means he's no longer in the public pop-culture consciousness?

I see signs of market softening on Cap 3. That’s fine. Just might make it easier to pick up another copy. The fact that it’s Stan Lee’s first work will always make this a significant book. Sometimes it takes a minute for the market to figure things out. I don’t particularly care that it’s Red Skulls first cover appearance, or that it’s a Schomburg war cover. To me, it doesn’t even look very much like a Schomburg. What I do care about is it’s Stan Lee’s first work. 

On 9/19/2021 at 11:23 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I see signs of market softening on Cap 3. That’s fine. Just might make it easier to pick up another copy. The fact that it’s Stan Lee’s first work will always make this a significant book. Sometimes it takes a minute for the market to figure things out. I don’t particularly care that it’s Red Skulls first cover appearance, or that it’s a Schomburg war cover. To me, it doesn’t even look very much like a Schomburg. What I do care about is it’s Stan Lee’s first work. 

I owned that a bunch of times and all through the time I owned multiple copies I was being told nobody cared and it was not worth all that much.  It went up so quickly after I sold off my last copy that I imagined somebody calling me looking for reassurance that I no longer owned one before it could get the go-ahead to rise in in value.

the 1st Round shield (Cap 2) is still overlooked... 

On 4/22/2022 at 8:57 AM, KCOComics said:

Not exactly the high grade copy you were asking about, but I did pick this up here on the boards earlier this year. 

I would have loved a pretty blue label, but I figured the opportunity to own this book in any condition was slipping away. 

And I normally don't care for signature series books, but there is something cool about having Stan sign his first work in comics and Joe sign an early CAP.

The signatures don't obscure the art, so I was happy with them. 

IMG_20220422_091937302.jpg

IMG_20220422_091945297.jpg

That’s a good ‘un

On 4/22/2022 at 3:13 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Thread bump. 

even in these crazy times with all the new crypto money injections, I haven’t see any high grade Cap 3s come to market. Has anyone?

I have the feeling it would get some bids if it did

I don’t think I have seen any copies higher than 7.0 in awhile. 

On 4/22/2022 at 6:57 AM, KCOComics said:

Not exactly the high grade copy you were asking about, but I did pick this up here on the boards earlier this year. 

I would have loved a pretty blue label, but I figured the opportunity to own this book in any condition was slipping away. 

And I normally don't care for signature series books, but there is something cool about having Stan sign his first work in comics and Joe sign an early CAP.

The signatures don't obscure the art, so I was happy with them. 

IMG_20220422_091937302.jpg

IMG_20220422_091945297.jpg

Beautiful copy wish I had one :golfclap:

Edited by woowoo

For as long as I had one copy or more I was told relentlessly and aggressively that "nobody cares".  I sold the last one I had for mid three figures (which happened to be the Jerry Robinson copy), and the dealer who bought it complained he had to sell it for less profit than he expected and implied I should reimburse him.   

Edited by BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES

On 4/22/2022 at 5:25 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

For as long as I had one copy or more I was told relentlessly and aggressively that "nobody cares".  I sold the last one I had for mid three figures (which happened to be the Jerry Robinson copy), and the dealer who bought it complained he had to sell it for less profit than he expected and implied I should reimburse him.   

This is incomprehensible to me