• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics that take place at Comic Conventions

27 posts in this topic

I've been reading a lot of Archie recently and I noticed that they like to set their stories at comic book conventions pretty regularly. Sometimes it's a generic show, sometimes it's a fictional show (such as Riverdale Comic Con) and sometimes it's an actual show (San Diego, for instance, shows up multiple times).

I was wondering how many other comics are set at comic book conventions. The only other one that immediately leapt to mind was Star Brand #12, but I'm sure there must be many others.

Here's a look at the covers I have found that feature Comic Cons. Archie Comics enjoys it so much, they used the same exact joke on no fewer than three of these covers! :grin:

659617.jpg

MAY031994.jpg

This version not only has someone cosplaying as Marvel's Valkyrie on the cover, it also has a cameo from Don and Maggie Thompson in the background. Plus, it's set at the 20th anniversary of SDCC. I wonder if that dealer is also supposed to be a real person?

67594-11430-100592-1-archie-giant-series.jpg

Here's Archie Comics poking fun at themselves for their 50th anniversary. Guessing they brought copies of this to the three shows mentioned on the cover:

67612-11430-100610-1-archie-giant-series.jpg

Don Thompson also makes a cameo in this story, alongside Archie artists Dan DeCarlo and Stan Goldberg. Plus, Veronica wins the cosplay competition by dressing up as Katy Keene:

1182312-250.jpg

And here's Star Brand #12, where thousands of comic book fans are massacred at the Pittsburgh Comic Con, along with some Marvel creators including John Byrne and Mark Gruenwald:

Star_Brand_Vol_1_12.jpg

Dazzler 30 has scenes at San Diego Comic Con

Dazzler_Vol_1_30.jpg

Meanwhile at the New York office of Marvel Comics, the assistant editors realize that they now rule the roost and Bob Harris decides to take advantage of the situation. Back in San Diego, Dazzler has found herself a room at the YWCA what she should do next. Finding a pay phone she calls Harry Osgood in New York and asks for a cash advance, which Harry -- due to Dazzler's recent success -- can gleefully arrange.

Dazzler then goes to the comic book convention to pay Ralph back for his kindness. At the same time the military soldiers have arrived with a device that will make the powers of any mutant in the vicinity run wild. This plan backfires, as one of their own men, Zalme, a latent mutant himself transforms into a giant lizard creature and rampages through the convention.

Dazzler uses her mutant powers to stop the creature which is stopped when the convention centre crumbles to the ground. Allison finds Ralph in the rubble and pays him back before looking for her attacker. With no trace of the monster, she assumes that it reverted back to human form and fled the scene.

This is somewhat related. There was an issue of Archie back in the late 70s/early 80s that had a story where Riverdale High did a paper drive to raise money. Archie got in trouble to rescuing some old comics out of the dumpster. The comics included Pep Comics #1 which Archie took to a comic shop and sold for big bucks and then he donated the money to the school.

Anyone remember this story or know what book it was in?

In this special issue of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, G.I. JOE goes to SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL! After being provided with pivotal information, G.I. JOE travel to San Diego in order to stop a plot to exchange nuclear clearance codes within the confines of the SDCC. Will G.I. JOE save the day in time? You can't miss this convention-tastic issue of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero!

GI-Joe_A-Real-American-Hero_180_zps4cf88cf0.jpg

Fanboys vs Zombies is an entire series that takes place at the San Diego Comic Con.

One is a decrepit mob of gurgling, ravenous fiends…and the other is a zombie outbreak. When there is no more room in Hell, the undead shall take over Comic-Con! A crew of feuding best friends find themselves trapped inside America's largest comic convention transformed into a seething cauldron of zombies. Is a horde of starving brain-eaters any match against reflexes battle-hardened by video games, nerves tested by horror flicks, and courage crystallized by comic books? Find out as an unlikely band of nerds use their genre savvy to survive in Fanboys vs. Zombies!

Some of the covers,

1232541_ful_zps202f577a.jpg

1222953_ful_zps8090ec6b.jpg

1203984_ful_zpsb18c51ec.jpg

1203111_ful_zpsd85c2f51.jpg

I know there was a Lobo comic con one shot.

There's also an issue I can't remember of The Mighty Magnor where Sergio draws a great 2 page spread of a con.

It was Lobo Convention Special. Funny issue.

image-22.jpg

This is somewhat related. There was an issue of Archie back in the late 70s/early 80s that had a story where Riverdale High did a paper drive to raise money. Archie got in trouble to rescuing some old comics out of the dumpster. The comics included Pep Comics #1 which Archie took to a comic shop and sold for big bucks and then he donated the money to the school.

Anyone remember this story or know what book it was in?

I do remember that story! If my memory serve me correct ( or I'm wrong?) this story was in an issue of "Archie at Riverdale High" series?

I should also mention it was reprinted in one of mid-80s Archie digests some 2-3 years later.

Not sure why Archie didn't put yet another variation of that same old joke on the cover, but it turns out Life with Archie #285 also takes place at a comic book convention.

At the show, Chuck gets hired to create a comic strip. He comes up with The Otterman, a superhero with the proportionate strength of an otter. He fights environmental disasters with the help of some reluctant whales. Alas, someone at Archie Comics decided to give Otterman's archenemy the unfortunate name Cap'n Gook.

:facepalm:

So I don't think you'll be seeing this one reprinted in a digest any time soon.

I know there was a Lobo comic con one shot.

There's also an issue I can't remember of The Mighty Magnor where Sergio draws a great 2 page spread of a con.

It was Lobo Convention Special. Funny issue.

image-22.jpg

This is one of the funniest comics I've ever read. It never gets old and never fails to bring tears of laughter rolling down my face :applause: