• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,529 posts in this topic

I'm currently reading City by Clifford Simak. It's naive in that 40's science fiction way, but also charming, dreamlike.

54e2e1be-720f-41b2-ae75-eb39095b0c57.jpg

I think this same painting was used for another book, or pulp?  I'm sure you guys know - and will also have the pulps where the original stories appeared.

What classic paperbacks are you guys reading from your collections? Recommendations and reviews would be more than welcome!

Edited by Arkadin

45 minutes ago, Arkadin said:

I'm currently reading City by Clifford Simak. It's naive in that 40's science fiction way, but also charming, dreamlike.

54e2e1be-720f-41b2-ae75-eb39095b0c57.jpg

I think this same painting was used for another book, or pulp?  I'm sure you guys know - and will also have the pulps where the original stories appeared.

What classic paperbacks are you guys reading from your collections? Recommendations and reviews would be more than welcome!

I've only got one of the stories from that version of the book in the original.  I would also call your attention to "Epilog", a story that wasn't written until after that edition was published.  It first appeared in the Campbell memorial collection, I believe some but not all later editions of "City" include it.

As for recommendations, I'm getting ready to re-read all the prewar Heinlein stuff in order; to see what it looked like as it came out.  If you haven't read it, Heinlein's The Past Through Tomorrow collects a lot of the fundamental stories of the golden age of SF.

Astounding_1947_12.jpg

Astounding_Memorial.jpg

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

Pennies for Gold.... I missed this when it just happened or it'd be mine... Never see this so nice. When the Top of the Hobby is a hunnerd or two....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NAKED-ON-ROLLER-SKATES-By-MAXWELL-BODENHEIM-1949-DIVERSEY-PAPERBACK-SLEAZE-GGA/142677504123?hash=item21383df07b:g:52IAAOSwLnladPI6

At least you didn't miss a BIN for 9.99. That would sting more.  :foryou:

On 1/23/2018 at 4:48 PM, the blob said:

Every few years I buy some pulps. I try to go a little older, maybe cool covers, try not to spend much. I try to get some authors I have heard of. Last round I bought a pulp with Frank Herbert's first published work. Apparently, nobody cares as it didn't cost much.

As for why they aren't as collectible....maybe less interior art? Also, hard for people

22 hours ago, PopKulture said:

At least you didn't miss a BIN for 9.99. That would sting more.  :foryou:

to gauge what they're worth? We might make fun of Overstreet now as being antiquated, buyt for decades it has provided a frame of reference for comic collectors. For a long time If something was $20 in there I knew i wouldn't be paying more than that unless I knew it had suddenly got really hot.

Since I started collecting paperbacks in 1990, the most I've ever paid is $354. 

2 minutes ago, Hap Hazard said:

Here's mine bought it in a lot of paperbacks a few years ago.

naked on roller skates maxwell bodenheim.jpg

Nice to find great books in lots. I still haven't found this in the wild, but I'm patient.  :whistle:

I have way too many paperbacks as it is. I have a few dozen displayed at a time; the rest are stacked in bankers boxes waiting their turn.