• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,879 posts in this topic

If anyone wants to see some of my scans from over the years, you can check these out before they go the way of the evil ph0t0bucket:

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/305029/album/431155

It's pretty much a miscellania - not really about the big keys, just more the stuff that caught my eye as it wandered by...

35377541.21057f3d.800.jpg

35361969.3f52c833.800.jpg

35359733.425f6dc3.800.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

8 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Which shelf? Your own? That seems to be one of the tougher Populars still. Even the mighty Campus Town and Dolls Trunk seem more abundant.

Sorry.  I meant my best find in a used book store, back in pre-internet days.

13 hours ago, PopKulture said:

If anyone wants to see some of my scans from over the years, you can check these out before they go the way of the evil ph0t0bucket:

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/305029/album/431155

It's pretty much a miscellania - not really about the big keys, just more the stuff that caught my eye as it wandered by...

35377541.21057f3d.800.jpg

35361969.3f52c833.800.jpg

35359733.425f6dc3.800.jpg

Love the cover on "The Man Who Didn't Exist" Pop. Those Dells had great covers!

On 2/9/2018 at 12:08 PM, Arkadin said:

I'm currently reading City by Clifford Simak. It's naive in that 40's science fiction way, but also charming, dreamlike.

54e2e1be-720f-41b2-ae75-eb39095b0c57.jpg

I think this same painting was used for another book, or pulp?  I'm sure you guys know - and will also have the pulps where the original stories appeared.

What classic paperbacks are you guys reading from your collections? Recommendations and reviews would be more than welcome!

In the last 2 years or so I have been reading classic sci-fi fairly extensively.

In no particular order I would recommend:

Foundation (or The 1,00 Year Plan an Ace Double abbreviated version) - Asimov

Conan the Conqueror Ron Howard. Sword and sorcery is usually not my forte but this is classic.

The Weapons Shops of Isher - A. E. Van Vogt

The Dark Galaxy - Murray Leinster

Dragon's Island - Jack Williamson.

The Man who Japed - Phillip *SPOON*

There are many more, but these are the ones that come to mind immediately.

Ace-D36A.jpg

scan0443.jpg

scan0533.jpg

On 2/20/2018 at 8:58 PM, Surfing Alien said:

It's a Brave New World... What I  love most about PB's is that they're still in the wild. Just picked this up... I actually had a great copy years ago but let it go for some trade reason. One of the best cautionary tales and an amazing cover by Singer,,,,

Image (221).jpg

Saw a guy at the flea market yesterday with a ton of pbs like these for a buck apiece. I was a little late to the party but got a few cool Avons and GGA ones. 

The last professionally published pre-war Heinlein story I needed.  (The qualifiers keep me from going crazy looking for a copy of Futuria Fantasia 4, and I'm still missing a couple book reviews.)  Would rather it wasn't trimmed, but still happy to have it.

Anybody interesting in me sharing the covers of all the pulps with pre-war Heinlein?

Astonishing_1942_03.jpg

41 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

The last professionally published pre-war Heinlein story I needed.  (The qualifiers keep me from going crazy looking for a copy of Futuria Fantasia 4, and I'm still missing a couple book reviews.)  Would rather it wasn't trimmed, but still happy to have it.

Anybody interesting in me sharing the covers of all the pulps with pre-war Heinlein?

That would be great. I love the idea of collecting pulps for first appearances of stories.

Personally, I'd love to pick up a Fantasy Book 6 for Cordwainer Smith's first story - the bizarre and incomparable "Scanners Live in Vain".

16 minutes ago, Arkadin said:

That would be great. I love the idea of collecting pulps for first appearances of stories.

Personally, I'd love to pick up a Fantasy Book 6 for Cordwainer Smith's first story - the bizarre and incomparable "Scanners Live in Vain".

I felt exactly the same way, so I did a few years ago:

Fantasy_Book_06.jpg

it's a great one - legend says was rejected by all the big mags but gained quick superstar status after Pohl picked it up for an anthology. Here's another wildly original masterwork that met a similar fate... 'The Rose' from 1953 by Charles L Harness.

img737.jpg

Edited by Pat Calhoun

So, Pre-war Heinlein.  Let's go ahead and do this.

Heinlein's first story appeared in the August, 1939 issue of Astounding Science Fiction, just one month after the July 1939 issue that is often considered the start of the Golden Age of Science Fiction.  Heinlein starts off with Life-Line, a relatively minor story in his Future History.  The cover is by Virgil Finlay, who was so displeased with the way his art was cropped he never drew for Astounding again.

01_Astounding_1939_08.jpg

Heinlein's only other story from the 30's shows up in the November Astounding, with a cover spotlighting EE 'Doc' Smith's Gray Lensman.  Heinlein's story in this issue is "Misfit", one of my personal favorites of his short stories.

02_Astounding_1939_11.jpg