• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,864 posts in this topic

On 3/23/2018 at 12:28 AM, OtherEric said:

Ah, the classic "Time Travel" issue.  One of my favorites.

Heinlein & Asimov in one issue... speaks to your earlier comment about the quality writing Astounding attracted. Really no competition until the advent of Galaxy and The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction in the early '50's.

Back to the paperbacks - Ace hit the ground running with "Marijuana, music and murder" in their first offering "Too Hot For Hell"... Covers were by Norman Saunders - the flip side was "The Grinning Gismo" featuring a gun moll in lingerie cover to round out a classic double bill. Wish I had a better copy...

Image (222).jpg

Image (224).jpg

5 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Heinlein & Asimov in one issue... speaks to your earlier comment about the quality writing Astounding attracted. Really no competition until the advent of Galaxy and The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction in the early '50's.

Well, that particular issue was heavily stacked with good writers across the board.  A fan had earlier written a letter, published in the November 1948 issue, that purported to discuss the contents of the November 1949 issue.  Campbell and Heinlein decided making it come true sounded like fun and they managed to rope most of the creators into participating.  Ironically, the major one who couldn't was Campbell himself... the letter writer had included a story by "Don A. Stuart", a pseudonym of Campbell; but Street & Smith would not let Campbell buy stories from himself to run in the book.  So the Asimov story took its place.  Otherwise, the letter was accurate to the list of writers and titles that eventually appeared, other than the letter mentioned two nonfiction articles and only one appeared.

2 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

I picked up half a dozen of those Ace double novel paperbacks at the flea market this weekend, one was Vulcan's Hammer by PKD, haven't read that one yet! Got some other cool SciFi paperbacks as well.

The Ace Doubles are cool.  A buddy of mine read Vulcan's Hammer years ago and liked it (I think if you like Phillip , you'll enjoy it).  Post some pictures!

40 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:
44 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:

I picked up half a dozen of those Ace double novel paperbacks at the flea market this weekend, one was Vulcan's Hammer by PKD, haven't read that one yet! Got some other cool SciFi paperbacks as well.

The Ace Doubles are cool.  A buddy of mine read Vulcan's Hammer years ago and liked it (I think if you like Phillip , you'll enjoy it).  Post some pictures!

I'll posts some pics later. I do enjoy PKD novels, they're far out but at least he keeps a coherent narrative going, bizarre as it may be. I also got a later one of his in this same batch this weekend, posthumous looks like, called Radio Free Albemuth. The only problem is it seems to be the 90% the same novel as Valis which I read last year. Disappointing, but there are more I haven't read so it's all good.

Edited by mrwoogieman

On 3/24/2018 at 4:51 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Back to the paperbacks - Ace hit the ground running with "Marijuana, music and murder" in their first offering "Too Hot For Hell"... Covers were by Norman Saunders - the flip side was "The Grinning Gismo" featuring a gun moll in lingerie cover to round out a classic double bill. Wish I had a better copy...

Image (222).jpg

Image (224).jpg

That "Grinning Gizmo" pb really brings back memories. My grandpa had that one along with a bunch of others when I was a kid. He really liked Perry Mason. But that one really stood out to my 8 year old eyes for some reason...  Thanks for posting it, now, if you will excuse me...

On 4/25/2018 at 4:09 PM, Robot Man said:

That "Grinning Gizmo" pb really brings back memories. My grandpa had that one along with a bunch of others when I was a kid. He really liked Perry Mason. But that one really stood out to my 8 year old eyes for some reason...  Thanks for posting it, now, if you will excuse me...

Has a lot going for it :) Gun Moll in a Diaphanous gown among other things lol

On 4/25/2018 at 2:59 PM, mrwoogieman said:

Ace Doubles Rock!

On 4/28/2018 at 1:18 AM, frozentundraguy said:

Speaking of sci-fi, just acquired this book at a nearby bookstore. Having recently read "Doomsday Eve" by Robert Williams I am looking forward to reading "The Blue Atom".

scan0855.jpg

Those circles remind me of some Dr. Strange dimensional restraints or ports!