• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,528 posts in this topic

Have a couple of recent pickups by Sprague deCamp. Both books have covers by Emsh.

Interesting story line in Rogue Queen. Aliens who are human like, in a society based very closely to one that bees have on earth. With some help from Earth men in a ship representing the Terran Space authority no less, they learn to abandon bee like society and live/love like humans.

scan0117.jpg

scan0123.jpg

44 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Have a couple of recent pickups by Sprague deCamp. Both books have covers by Emsh.

Interesting story line in Rogue Queen. Aliens who are human like, in a society based very closely to one that bees have on earth. With some help from Earth men in a ship representing the Terran Space authority no less, they learn to abandon bee like society and live/love like humans.

scan0117.jpg

scan0123.jpg

One of the best Dell Sci-Fi covers, the Rogue Queen reminds me of Grace Jones a little (ok.. a lot!)

22 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Ok, so i'm adding any jazz, blues, rock n roll titles i can get reasonably to add to my JD collection. They fit well in the collection, have a great feel and don't turn up too often in shape.

Image (326).jpg

Absolutely a good fit.

1 hour ago, Bird said:

Bought these the other day. I do not know why pulps go for so little $ but glad they do. These are my first ones, very groovy!

DwWRI83W0AEDYLC.jpg

The dealer had more but these were the ones that tickled my fancy.

I like this post so much, mainly because it mirrors my own experience.  I’m more of a looker than a buyer these days but back when I first started looking at pulps, paperbacks and magazines, I felt as rich as Uncle Scrooge with the value I could get from my collecting dollars.  Add to that the sensation of mystery and discovery that accompanied the search through various dealers’ inventories.  So many incredible covers and stories, so much artwork and writing that I’d never seen before.  It was my introduction to Saunders, Emsh, Freas, Bok, St. John, Brundage and the rest.  And I found so many cool short reads by Bradbury, Heinlein, Bloch, Lovecraft, and more.

A few years ago, a life-long friend said that after collecting and reading comics of all ages for 40 years, the new comics of today made him feel something that comics never made him feel before- old.  By contrast, my experience of collecting these “fringe” books makes me feel young again.  This is the reason that this thread is one of my favorites on the boards.  Thanks to all that have posted!  Always excited to see what’s next. 

And, btw Bird, great choices!  Can’t wait to see what else you find. (thumbsu

On 1/4/2019 at 10:44 PM, frozentundraguy said:

scan0117.jpg

scan0123.jpg

Rogue Queen (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Bird said:

Bought these the other day. I do not know why pulps go for so little $ but glad they do. These are my first ones, very groovy!

DwWRI83W0AEDYLC.jpg

The dealer had more but these were the ones that tickled my fancy.

Those go cheap but have awesome covers and most with hot girls