• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,528 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Picked up several more Ace doubles recently. I now have 44 of the 75 sci-fi titles in the series.

There are way more than 75 Ace SF doubles; I presume you're specifically talking about the D-series books?

On another note, I can never remember if the 75 includes Cry Plague or not...

A recommendation, if I may.  I like collecting American vintage paperbacks, but British ones are my true collecting passion.  My favorite Artist is Reginald Heade.  Another collector/publisher has put out book of his art that is as comprehensive as probably possible.  I was able to contribute some of the pictures to his endeavor.

https://telos.co.uk/shop/other-non-fiction/art/the-art-of-reginald-heade-special-edition-h-b/

Edited by moonpool

17 hours ago, OtherEric said:

There are way more than 75 Ace SF doubles; I presume you're specifically talking about the D-series books?

On another note, I can never remember if the 75 includes Cry Plague or not...

I am talking about the Ace doubles in the D series. It's possible I have missed something in my spreadsheet, but I show 75 doubles including the Cry Plague book.

3 hours ago, moonpool said:

A recommendation, if I may.  I like collecting American vintage paperbacks, but British ones are my true collecting passion.  My favorite Artist is Reginald Heade.  Another collector/publisher has put out book of his art that is as comprehensive as probably possible.  I was able to contribute some of the pictures to his endeavor.

https://telos.co.uk/shop/other-non-fiction/art/the-art-of-reginald-heade-special-edition-h-b/

All the work for Archer is legendary in the PB world

1 hour ago, frozentundraguy said:

I am talking about the Ace doubles in the D series. It's possible I have missed something in my spreadsheet, but I show 75 doubles including the Cry Plague book.

Fair enough.  I don't have Cry Plague yet, but I've got all 6 PKD D-series doubles, the Conan, and the Ellison.  Not sure if there are any other D-series books that are particularly tricky to track down.  

Up until the new cases came out they couldn't because of the overhang on the edges. Now the magazine is held in by pressure so it shouldn't be a problem I would think. The real problem is the lack of knowledge about them and the MUCH lower prices compared to comics. They seem like a natural since many people (like me) collect them primarily for the covers any way. Once they go for big prices publicly, I'm sure CGC will find a way to cash in on the money grab.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Up until the new cases came out they couldn't because of the overhang on the edges. Now the magazine is held in by pressure so it shouldn't be a problem I would think. The real problem is the lack of knowledge about them and the MUCH lower prices compared to comics. They seem like a natural since many people (like me) collect them primarily for the covers any way. Once they go for big prices publicly, I'm sure CGC will find a way to cash in on the money grab.

I would think the Digest sized paperbacks should be a no-brainer as well.