• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,801 posts in this topic

I'm seeing a bit more bidding on vintage paperback auctions on the bay lately. I still pick stuff up when I think they're reasonable and often used to get decent stuff with tracking type bids but not so much any more. Of course they're such a relative pittance, "manning up" still doesn't cost much. There's still lots of bargains to be had, including BIN's, but the auctions seem to be getting better bids than many BIN's.  

22 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

Hells yea!  I want this for the title at the bottom....

pulp-dime-mystery-january-1940_1_e077b64

What an insane cover!! How did these things EVER survive the newsstands month after month?? (And this wouldn't have even been an under-the-counter magazine...)  :whatthe:

25 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

What an insane cover!! How did these things EVER survive the newsstands month after month?? (And this wouldn't have even been an under-the-counter magazine...)  :whatthe:

"Supposedly" it was under the counter kinda thing, but hell I wasn't there I don't know.  But Dayum.....  it's it awesome?!?!?!?!?!?

You see titles like this on the newsstands of old photos. Sure, sure this and the occasional Horror Stories or Terror Tales may have been absent on a few newsstands, but I have seen this title in period pics. Either way, it's a mind-numbing cover! :shy:

On 4/23/2019 at 6:54 PM, waaaghboss said:

Are there any decent pulp value guides online?  Searched around, but all I could find were a couple of sites that haven't been touched in over q decade, and some references to an oversheet style book guide from 2007.

Bookery's Guide has been the most comprehensive in the past. These days you gotta look at prices realized and things of that nature, and look on the Pound You To A Pulp thread...

On 4/23/2019 at 3:54 PM, waaaghboss said:

Are there any decent pulp value guides online?  Searched around, but all I could find were a couple of sites that haven't been touched in over q decade, and some references to an oversheet style book guide from 2007.

There is one for sale cheap in the GA/SA/BA section right now!

So I recently won a nice looking paperback on the 'bay and was kind of disappointed to see a hit of black marker on the edge of the cover. I've had a few books with marker hits on them over the years, but usually cheapies that i've found in the wild, not bought online. I'm debating whether I should return it or just chalk it up to the wild wild west nature of paperback collecting, lack of grading and the fact that it was a pittance compared to most comics. It's a tough book to find in nice shape and this was real nice but for the hit.

I'm wondering if anyone returns books or pulps they buy that turn out "restored"? I'd think especially pulps, since they are pricier than paperbacks and might tempt evil-doers to hit them with markers etc. ?

26 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

So I recently won a nice looking paperback on the 'bay and was kind of disappointed to see a hit of black marker on the edge of the cover. I've had a few books with marker hits on them over the years, but usually cheapies that i've found in the wild, not bought online. I'm debating whether I should return it or just chalk it up to the wild wild west nature of paperback collecting, lack of grading and the fact that it was a pittance compared to most comics. It's a tough book to find in nice shape and this was real nice but for the hit.

I'm wondering if anyone returns books or pulps they buy that turn out "restored"? I'd think especially pulps, since they are pricier than paperbacks and might tempt evil-doers to hit them with markers etc. ?

I have returned some.  Really just depends on the book, the price, and if I can live with it.  

The worst one I can think of was an August 1928 Weird Tales (1st appearance of Solomon Kane, 1st published work by Tennessee Williams) that I bought from Heritage.  The book had lots of tape residue inside the covers from where tape had been removed, the spine had been re-glued so heavily that the covers wouldn't open all the way, there were 8 tear seals, all edges to the front and back covers had been trimmed, and there was some color touch, NONE of which were mentioned in the auction description.  I returned it.

Whoa, yeah, i'd return that too. I wonder why they thought they could get away with not describing those defects while they never could with a comic book? I think it's one of the inherent difficulties with these " step-children" collectibles - maybe their lack of perceived value and semi-obscurity lead listers to not think or care too much about amateur restoration (or the consequences of non-disclosure). I remember a time in the 70's when it was super common for comic shop owners to hit black cover Marvels with markers all the time, as they were relatively worthless and it made them look new.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

25 25