• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,538 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Whoa, yeah, i'd return that too. I wonder why they thought they could get away with not describing those defects while they never could with a comic book? I think it's one of the inherent difficulties with these " step-children" collectibles - maybe their lack of perceived value and semi-obscurity lead listers to not think or care too much about amateur restoration (or the consequences of non-disclosure). I remember a time in the 70's when it was super common for comic shop owners to hit black cover Marvels with markers all the time, as they were relatively worthless and it made them look new.

It was sold through Heritage's book section, not the comics and pulps section.  And the listing focused on it being Tennessee Williams' 1st published work, and as an afterthought mentioned Solomon Kane.  So it was definitely aimed at book collectors, not comic and pulp.  I get that sometimes things are hard to detect and are missed, but this was really bad.

You just have to be careful.  Here are some recent pulp sales at Heritage that have undisclosed restoration issues or are significantly over-graded based on visible defects in the scans.

• Doctor Death #1 - Graded VG/F.  Heavy color touch to the black areas, trimmed on the right and bottom edges.  Sold for $1,140
  • Doctor Death #2 - Graded F-.  Trimmed on the top and right sides, and probably the bottom too.  Sold for $660.
  • Doctor Death #3 - Graded F-.  Has pretty significant water staining at the top.  Overgraded, should be no higher than VG.  Sold for $720
  • Weird Tales Batwoman cover - Graded F-.  I'm not sure what's going on in the lower right, but that sure looks like a lot of bluish color touch.  When you zoom in, it looks like scratches that were filled in.  Sold for $1,260.
  • Weird Tales 1st Conan - Graded F+.  But there's pretty significant spots of paper loss on the cover (the white areas).  Overgraded, should be no higher than VG+.  Sold for $3,120.
  • Captain Satan, Lot of 3 - Graded Avg VG.  They're all slightly trimmed, and one has a piece filled in.  It's hard to tell from the scans, but it looks to me like there are tear seals and some color touch as well.  Sold for $264.

4 hours ago, RedFury said:

It was sold through Heritage's book section, not the comics and pulps section.  And the listing focused on it being Tennessee Williams' 1st published work, and as an afterthought mentioned Solomon Kane.  So it was definitely aimed at book collectors, not comic and pulp.  I get that sometimes things are hard to detect and are missed, but this was really bad.

You just have to be careful.  Here are some recent pulp sales at Heritage that have undisclosed restoration issues or are significantly over-graded based on visible defects in the scans.

• Doctor Death #1 - Graded VG/F.  Heavy color touch to the black areas, trimmed on the right and bottom edges.  Sold for $1,140
  • Doctor Death #2 - Graded F-.  Trimmed on the top and right sides, and probably the bottom too.  Sold for $660.
  • Doctor Death #3 - Graded F-.  Has pretty significant water staining at the top.  Overgraded, should be no higher than VG.  Sold for $720
  • Weird Tales Batwoman cover - Graded F-.  I'm not sure what's going on in the lower right, but that sure looks like a lot of bluish color touch.  When you zoom in, it looks like scratches that were filled in.  Sold for $1,260.
  • Weird Tales 1st Conan - Graded F+.  But there's pretty significant spots of paper loss on the cover (the white areas).  Overgraded, should be no higher than VG+.  Sold for $3,120.
  • Captain Satan, Lot of 3 - Graded Avg VG.  They're all slightly trimmed, and one has a piece filled in.  It's hard to tell from the scans, but it looks to me like there are tear seals and some color touch as well.  Sold for $264.

Is it just me or have HA pulp grading standards been slipping recently? It seems like they slap some kind of FN on just about everything these days.

Just for example, that 1st Conan one you mentioned was graded "FN+", this one was a more appropriate "VG". I don't see any significant differences, certainly not enough to jump by a grade and a half...

Edited by htp

13 minutes ago, htp said:

Is it just me or have HA pulp grading standards been slipping recently? It seems like they slap some kind of FN on just about everything these days.

Just for example, that 1st Conan one you mentioned was graded "FN+", this one was a more appropriate "VG". I don't see any significant differences, certainly not enough to jump by a grade and a half...

Up until about a year ago I thought they often under-graded, especially in lots.  But lately, I don't know.  They seem to be slipping.  I'm not expecting them to continue to under-grade, but they should try to accurately grade and avoid over-grading.  And at least try to look for resto.  

11 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Up until about a year ago I thought they often under-graded, especially in lots.  But lately, I don't know.  They seem to be slipping.  I'm not expecting them to continue to under-grade, but they should try to accurately grade and avoid over-grading.  And at least try to look for resto.  

Exactly what I was thinking. I've bought several pulps there over the years, and until about a year ago I would say they graded things "professionally conservative" - rather go a bit lower than risk buyer complaining later. Now it seems they've gone more towards "great for it's age"...

There's another #1 Conan listed now, and it's a nice copy, but I doubt that anyone that collects Weird Tales would consider one with yellow spine and cover creasing to be "FN+".

5 minutes ago, htp said:

Exactly what I was thinking. I've bought several pulps there over the years, and until about a year ago I would say they graded things "professionally conservative" - rather go a bit lower than risk buyer complaining later. Now it seems they've gone more towards "great for it's age"...

There's another #1 Conan listed now, and it's a nice copy, but I doubt that anyone that collects Weird Tales would consider one with yellow spine and cover creasing to be "FN+".

Yeah, there's just no way that's a F+.  There's a lot of creasing and edge wear.  Maybe a VG/F, but that might even be a stretch.  I listed 3 Weird Tales on Ebay the other day, all at VG/F, and all of them are nicer than that F+ on Heritage.

8 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Here's the offending copy... not a bad looking Dame but if you look close there's a tiny hit on the LRC. Otherwise I haven't seen a copy this nice in several years. I already have one but it has a bunch of the usual color breaking cover bends...

Copy of overboard.jpg

I'd keep it unless you paid a big premium. You could always scape the edge if it really bothered you, but it's a nice looking copy overall. 

11 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Here's the offending copy... not a bad looking Dame but if you look close there's a tiny hit on the LRC. Otherwise I haven't seen a copy this nice in several years. I already have one but it has a bunch of the usual color breaking cover bends...

Copy of overboard.jpg

When I purged my PB collection many years ago at their peak, I kept this one. One of my favorite GGA covers and tough to find nice. I’d keep it until you can find a better one. Might take a while...

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

When I purged my PB collection many years ago at their peak, I kept this one. One of my favorite GGA covers and tough to find nice. I’d keep it until you can find a better one. Might take a while...

Thanks. It's funny because I commented on how nice yours was when you recently posted it and then this one popped up. I don't have an alert on it particularly but I look up Popular Librarys a lot and haven't seen a really sharp one for a decent price since I got back into collecting them a couple of years ago. I paid $33 and change for it, which was a steal considering the action this guys auctions were getting and how nice it was. Maybe other bidders looked at it more closely than I did. Just  was bummed about that edge hit when it arrived. Anyway, i'll keep both my copies for now,  it's a great cover.

53 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Thanks. It's funny because I commented on how nice yours was when you recently posted it and then this one popped up. I don't have an alert on it particularly but I look up Popular Librarys a lot and haven't seen a really sharp one for a decent price since I got back into collecting them a couple of years ago. I paid $33 and change for it, which was a steal considering the action this guys auctions were getting and how nice it was. Maybe other bidders looked at it more closely than I did. Just  was bummed about that edge hit when it arrived. Anyway, i'll keep both my copies for now,  it's a great cover.

If it's any consolation, when your eyes move upward from the corner, it gets a LOT better!  :devil:

Good one, Surf - never noticed it before. I was immediately struck by the story's resemblance to Pylon, Faulkner's 1935 novel about an airplane pilot, his mechanic, and the 'woman they shared'. Substitute drag strip for air show and you've got it. Since Cockpit is 1953 the 1951 date on the Signet Pylon PB would fit perfectly with some time for inspiration, perspiration, and a little oil.

img072.jpg

Picked up the nicest copies of these two that i've seen in years. Must've been unread.

Most copies are beat to hell with an occasional survivor that looks okay, but never see them with unbroken spines.

Pages are white as well. Nice Avati cover on The Fountainhead.

fountain.jpg

atlas.jpg