• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,538 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Picked up the nicest copies of these two that i've seen in years. Must've been unread.

Most copies are beat to hell with an occasional survivor that looks okay, but never see them with unbroken spines.

Pages are white as well. Nice Avati cover on The Fountainhead.

fountain.jpg

atlas.jpg

Atlas Shrugged is a challenging book to read clocking in at over 1000 pages as I recall and the last 100 pages or so Ayn Rand espousing her philosophy disguised as a speech by one of the protagonists. I read these in my twenties; I don't think I would have the patience to get through them now. Cool copies though; I always appreciate a nice clean paperback. 

4 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Cool copies though; I always appreciate a nice clean paperback. 

About sums up my reaction to the books; I've never read them and don't really want to based on what I've heard about them.  Nice copies, though!

The quote I've always liked: “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

The one and only Ayn Rand book I own or am ever likely to own:

FFM_1953_06.jpg

Edited by OtherEric
typo

3 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Oxymoron of the year, Surf, congrats. You offer a good 8 word definition of objectivism; I haven't studied much, but it looks like a cool enough philosophy...which would explain why it draws so much flak...

Pretty simple but i'm not one to lecture on it lol. I too just like a nice clean paperback. These triple volumes are tough!

On 5/19/2019 at 7:17 PM, PopKulture said:

Yeah, that's about as clean as you can get, AND on a really desirable title. So many of those early D-series Ace books seem so hard to find. I see as many D-9 Decoy as the other first twenty combined.  (shrug)

Holy sweet spine Batman! That's awesome... mine's not bad, I'm gonna have to fish it out...

On 5/18/2019 at 3:43 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Picked up the nicest copies of these two that i've seen in years. Must've been unread.

Most copies are beat to hell with an occasional survivor that looks okay, but never see them with unbroken spines.

Pages are white as well. Nice Avati cover on The Fountainhead.

fountain.jpg

atlas.jpg

50yrs mentions having read these in his 20's. I did the same. One factor I do appreciate in the classic era of sci-fi is the normal brevity of content. Most novels can be wrapped up in 200 pages or less. At least the ones I have been reading of late are. Another fairly recently deceased author who was extremely long winded was Robert Jordan. I read his first two books in the Wheel of Time series, and called it a wrap. lol

Eye_world_1.jpg

On 5/30/2019 at 11:00 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Back on topic. Two books that I have read recently in the Ace series were a cut above the norm, especially the Sun Smasher by Edmond Hamilton. Hamilton of course was a giant in the early pulp era, writing stories for Weird Tales and the like.

scan0178.jpg

scan0243.jpg

That's such a pulpy concept - shooting a giant cannon at a star!