• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,538 posts in this topic

What a great thread,following now!

For a brief instant scrolling I thought the coffin with the smoke-able on it was a sardine tin.Must say,I was delighted lol Of course a fabulous cover still,but I wanted it to be a fish can.

Thanks Mr Adam Strange for leading me over here.

On 6/25/2019 at 12:47 PM, shiverbones said:

Those were all found in used book stores, I prefer to find them in the wild

Welcome - I love "The Witching Night" cover. I need to get one of those.

It's not easy to find anything in the wild anymore.  I had a huge collection back in the early '80's that I sold off to pay rent on my first apartment. That was mostly found in the wild in New York City's basements and small bookshops. It was a wonderful time of discovery. I found a near perfect copy of Reform School Girl and a gorgeous signed copy of Burroughs' Junkie in those places.

My current collection has come mostly from the internet - where there are still finds to be had if you're patient and know how to search. The prices are all over the place. Books that auctioned for $100, i've found the next day for $10 and vice versa. Some books are everywhere and some are nowhere to be found. I tend to make a good run at what I like if I haven't seen a lot of them and search for the best price/condition ratio on the ones I like that are more commonly available.

4 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

For you booty lovers...

"Andy agreed to rescue Sam's beautiful young daughter, Joyce, from the stranglehold of Dope!"

Rainbow's are one of my favorite series and not easy to come by, especially in condition.

Image (374).jpg

Image (375).jpg

I think I'm going for a walk on the wild side...

Just got this one, what makes it interesting is that, while the material was all reprint, this was the second and final printing for all but one of the stories.  The rest were never included in any of Ellison's collections or reprinted elsewhere.  So this is essentially a never reprinted Ellison book.

Science_Fiction_Greats_14.jpg

3 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Just got this one, what makes it interesting is that, while the material was all reprint, this was the second and final printing for all but one of the stories.  The rest were never included in any of Ellison's collections or reprinted elsewhere.  So this is essentially a never reprinted Ellison book.

I'm amazed at how much bibliographical knowledge you possess about sci-fi and fantasy!! (thumbsu

Every time I look at one of my digests that I think little of, I think to myself "I'm probably missing something here..."  :eyeroll:

2 hours ago, PopKulture said:

I'm amazed at how much bibliographical knowledge you possess about sci-fi and fantasy!! (thumbsu

Every time I look at one of my digests that I think little of, I think to myself "I'm probably missing something here..."  :eyeroll:

http://www.isfdb.org/

It's about 3/4 just knowing just where to look.  And the mindset that lets you spend hours looking at references like that and remembering large chunks of them.

On 7/15/2019 at 5:22 PM, OtherEric said:

Here’s today’s winner.  I’m not even sure I can call it a grail, it was just filed as impossible.  My mind is just blown that I now own it:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Congrats! Great pickup. I hope some day to get one back again although I know it will never be as nice as the signed one I had. I have some pics of it somewhere i'll try to dig up.

2 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

My old copy. Life circumstances had me sell it in 2004 but at least Ebay was around unlike when I sold the bulk of my original collection in the mid 90's. I got a pretty penny for it at the time, around 1K IIRC.

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

Wow that’s quite a copy with Burroughs’ signature. Did you get it signed?

It was already signed when I got it. An interesting find and a great deal for me. It was in the display case of a (now long gone) rare bookstore in Greenwich Village in the 1980's. The guy had a few other vintage paperbacks and i'd go in there and buy something occasionally and chat with him. He had great stories about the Village and Beats and book lovers. After he found out I was collecting vintage paperbacks we talked about doing some trading and he ended up taking a bunch of lower value but very sharp Ace Sci-FI doubles I had in trade for the Junkie. He was willing to do it because he had it on display for quite a while but no one ponied up the 200 or so bucks he was asking for it and he figured he might do better with some less expensive stuff. We both were winners because I got a spectacular book I could never afford and he actually moved some of those Ace Sci Fi doubles.

Edited by Surfing Alien
mistake