• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,538 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

It was already signed when I got it. An interesting find and a great deal for me. It was in the display case of a (now long gone) rare bookstore in Greenwich Village in the 1980's. The guy had a few other vintage paperbacks and i'd go in there and buy something occasionally and chat with him. He had great stories about the Village and Beats and book lovers. After he found out I was collecting vintage paperbacks we talked about doing some trading and he ended up taking a bunch of lower value but very sharp Ace Sci-FI doubles I had in trade for the Junkie. He was willing to do it because he had it on display for quite a while but no one ponied up the 200 or so bucks he was asking for it and he figured he might do better with some less expensive stuff. We both were winners because I got a spectacular book I could never afford and he actually moved some of those Ace Sci Fi doubles.

I used to buy my comics at the Batcave back in the late seventies and early eighties. Don’t recall seeing that store though! Great story and deal!

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

It was already signed when I got it. An interesting find and a great deal for me. It was in the display case of a (now long gone) rare bookstore in Greenwich Village in the 1980's. The guy had a few other vintage paperbacks and i'd go in there and buy something occasionally and chat with him. He had great stories about the Village and Beats and book lovers. After he found out I was collecting vintage paperbacks we talked about doing some trading and he ended up taking a bunch of lower value but very sharp Ace Sci-FI doubles I had in trade for the Junkie. He was willing to do it because he had it on display for quite a while but no one ponied up the 200 or so bucks he was asking for it and he figured he might do better with some less expensive stuff. We both were winners because I got a spectacular book I could never afford and he actually moved some of those Ace Sci Fi doubles.

Sorry you had to part with it, that was a stunning copy.  I really do need to finish off my run of at least the Ace D-Series SF doubles... I've got about 2/3 of them, including all 6 PKD books, the Ellison, the Conan, the D-13 and the D-31...

3 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I used to buy my comics at the Batcave back in the late seventies and early eighties. Don’t recall seeing that store though! Great story and deal!

This was a small place on Greenwich Avenue, back when you could open a small bookstore in NYC :(

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Sorry you had to part with it, that was a stunning copy.  I really do need to finish off my run of at least the Ace D-Series SF doubles... I've got about 2/3 of them, including all 6 PKD books, the Ellison, the Conan, the D-13 and the D-31...

Thanks. Yeah, part of  the life situation was being a new father though, for which no earthly possessions could surpass :)

You're well on your way -  and now you've got the toughest of them all (thumbsu

I've re-acquired some Aces but i'm pretty picky and cheap so it's slow going lol

On 7/20/2019 at 2:29 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I used to buy my comics at the Batcave back in the late seventies and early eighties.

Hey!  Me too!  As a kid living on Long Island, it was an awesome treat to go into the city and stop by the Batcave.  If memory serves, the front door was a half flight below the sidewalk.  I remember being super excited going down those stairs... :cloud9:

5 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Hey!  Me too!  As a kid living on Long Island, it was an awesome treat to go into the city and stop by the Batcave.  If memory serves, the front door was a half flight below the sidewalk.  I remember being super excited going down those stairs... :cloud9:

The Batcave, Forbidden Planet, St. Marks, & Roger's Comic Shop (before he morphed to The Mysterious Time Machine) in the Village, Big Apple Comics on the upper west side were just some of the haunts in Manhattan - there were lots of smaller shops that popped up here and there that lasted a few years at a time.

14 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Just acquired this Ace PKD double, filling a little gap in my Ace sf double collection. I have about 2 thirds of them now.  Just checked my list, I have 3 PKD Ace doubles to go to complete that subset.

scan0334.jpg

You can get the OA for the cover on Heritage now!

5 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

The Batcave, Forbidden Planet, St. Marks, & Roger's Comic Shop (before he morphed to The Mysterious Time Machine) in the Village, Big Apple Comics on the upper west side were just some of the haunts in Manhattan - there were lots of smaller shops that popped up here and there that lasted a few years at a time.

I always made a visit to a small shop in the village called I think, Second Childhood. Full of beautiful vintage toys and some times old comic books when I was in NY. Probably long gone now but man it was cool.

Just for curiosity, what are considered the tricky SF doubles?  I think I listed most of them earlier, but are any others considered particularly hard to get?  I had the PKD books for a while, since I've been a fan for a long time.  I do need to upgrade my The Man Who Japed, though:

D-103.jpg

D-150.jpg

D-193.jpg

D-249.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

13 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

Exactly! Great store.

7 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

St. Marks was a great store to in a great neighborhood. McSorley's for beer one block away and the Ukrainian National Home for great food on 2'nd Ave.

Of course my favorite Manhattan comic shop visit was to Supersnipe uptown in the early seventies. My grandmother took me up there. I had little money but bought a copy of Donald Duck #30 that I still own. Don't have a scan of it handy or would post it.

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I always made a visit to a small shop in the village called I think, Second Childhood. Full of beautiful vintage toys and some times old comic books when I was in NY. Probably long gone now but man it was cool.

I remember it on the path of my Manhattan pilgrimages. I was never a big toy guy but I dabbled in them. Sadly it is gone as of 2008. I found a very nice tribute to the store and its owner, Grover Van Dexter online here:

https://gvshp.org/blog/2016/08/24/village-people-grover-van-dexter/

5 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

St. Marks was a great store to in a great neighborhood. McSorley's for beer one block away and the Ukrainian National Home for great food on 2'nd Ave.

Of course my favorite Manhattan comic shop visit was to Supersnipe uptown in the early seventies. My grandmother took me up there. I had little money but bought a copy of Donald Duck #30 that I still own. Don't have a scan of it handy or would post it.

Supersnipe was great, I remember one day buying stacks of mint overstock Avengers Annual 10 & X-Men 150 there back in the day.

Other great Manhattan spots were Village Comics on Bleeker Street, Manhattan Comics under the Chelsea Hotel on West 23rd and a bit later in the 90's, Jeff's Comics and Cards on Sullivan Street (Where I met Howard Rogofsky)

In Brooklyn you had Pinnochio on McDonald Ave. in Gravesend, Silver Star on Nostrand & Avenue V, Bob's on E.19th & Avenue U & My Friends Book Store on Flatbush Avenue & Foster Avenue and a few others

We used to read the Yellow Pages for used book, magazine & comic stores and took buses & trains all over to discover the shops in other areas.

It was a great time because any used book store might have a pile.

This was mostly before the proliferation of shops in the late 80's and early 90's (and the subsequent crash that wiped out almost every shop in existence)

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Just for curiosity, what are considered the tricky SF doubles?  I think I listed most of them earlier, but are any others considered particularly hard to get?  I had the PKD books for a while, since I've been a fan for a long time.  I do need to upgrade my The Man Who Japed, though:

D-103.jpg

D-150.jpg

D-193.jpg

D-249.jpg

I've been bingeing on "The Man in the High Castle" on Amazon this week and it's almost like they pulled the cinematography atmosphere right off the cover of "The World Jones Made"