• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,527 posts in this topic

Another couple of rescues.Just reread the Jackson Ace and the Nightmare is so odd looking,haven't started that yet.

Forgive the not great picture skills and the Spaceman cameo

!!!!!0.jpg

Edited by porcupine48

Last one for a bit.These have all been book box finds-most stuff I return and we're always dropping new stuff or old cassettes,dvds,vhs there,they never last long.

I'm often surprised how nice of shape some of the sixties,fifties books are in

!!!!!0.jpg

On 7/28/2019 at 8:40 PM, porcupine48 said:

Another couple of rescues.Just reread the Jackson Ace and the Nightmare is so odd looking,haven't started that yet.

Forgive the not great picture skills and the Spaceman cameo

!!!!!0.jpg

I can never find old books in the wild anymore... It sucks because old paperbacks in New York in the 1970's & 80's was like grass underfoot.

The flip-side is, the internet brings things to your door that you never would have seen....

8 minutes ago, moonpool said:

True, very true

lilies.jpg

Speaking of which, WOW!  These are awesome, especially the one on the right!  So of course I go googling things and the Hank Janson books are fantastic!  I came across this website that reprints his old books if anyone wants to check it out.  Here's a link and another sample of a cover:

https://telos.co.uk/product-category/crime-mystery-and-thriller/hank-janson/

Some-Look-Better-Dead1.jpg

12 hours ago, pmpknface said:

Speaking of which, WOW!  These are awesome, especially the one on the right!  So of course I go googling things and the Hank Janson books are fantastic!  I came across this website that reprints his old books if anyone wants to check it out.  Here's a link and another sample of a cover:

https://telos.co.uk/product-category/crime-mystery-and-thriller/hank-janson/

Some-Look-Better-Dead1.jpg

RCM Heade covers on many of these Hank Janson UK books...  The Archer & Leisure Library titles look similar. Although there was apparently a warehouse find, many were damaged and they seem to have dried up since the 1980's when everyone's jaw first dropped on them here in the states... here's my copy of the White Slave Racket by Roland Vane (how "Hardboiled" of a name could you get!!!) ...

Image (431).jpg

30 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Nice, you got your western :)

Here's a single that's impossible in this condition. My scanner doesn't do it (or any book) justice. The gloss is blazing.

I'm not into Scientology in any way shape or form but Hubbard goes well and it's a classic cover.

I've had this one for 35 years and it ain't going nowhere.

Image (432).jpg

Not a fan of Hubbard, I'll grant he had a few good stories back in the day but in general he was a competent hack.

I'm acutely aware of how hard to get any vintage books or pulps with his work are to find; though.  He definitely has a following.  And it can make getting issues you want for other reasons tricky.

I'm not saying this magazine shouldn't command a decent price, for example.  I'm saying that it should command that price because it's the first appearance of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, not because of the cover story. But in my experience people selling it promote Hubbard over the Fritz Leiber story.

Unknown_1939_08.jpg

6 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Not a fan of Hubbard, I'll grant he had a few good stories back in the day but in general he was a competent hack.

I'm acutely aware of how hard to get any vintage books or pulps with his work are to find; though.  He definitely has a following.  And it can make getting issues you want for other reasons tricky.

I'm not saying this magazine shouldn't command a decent price, for example.  I'm saying that it should command that price because it's the first appearance of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, not because of the cover story. But in my experience people selling it promote Hubbard over the Fritz Leiber story.

Unknown_1939_08.jpg

I agree & I'll take reading Lieber over Hubbard any day. Unfortunately market forces are swayed by what's happening now and Hubbard's following is huge and wealthy and Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are not in the spotlight in any big way :(