• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,865 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Hub takes some heat for Scientology that I think gets in the way of his literary reputation. His portrayal of the future USA as an unsavory technocracy, keeping the rest of the world subjugated by military might - in Final Blackout, a 1939 novel - seems courageous to me, and the writing is effective enough. And I'm a huge fan of 'Typewriter in the Sky', a light but lush fantasy of a man who finds himself living in the pages of a pulp novel as it's being written. The sword fight scene on the pirate ship with the typewriter clacking in the sky is an all time fave.

img5050.JPG

I absolutely agree that Scientology completely obscures his literary reputation, Pat.  While I stand by my description of him as "a competent hack with some good stories", I think that's actually significantly better than the average for pulp writers of that era.  Typewriter in the sky is a genuine classic, for example; and being a competent hack was actually the exception back then.  He's quite readable; and while I won't seek out books because of him I generally do read his stuff when I get a magazine which happens to have his work.

Maybe I should go ahead and actually read "The Ghoul", since I have the magazine handy anyway...

17 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Hub takes some heat for Scientology that I think gets in the way of his literary reputation. His portrayal of the future USA as an unsavory technocracy, keeping the rest of the world subjugated by military might - in Final Blackout, a 1939 novel - seems courageous to me, and the writing is effective enough. And I'm a huge fan of 'Typewriter in the Sky', a light but lush fantasy of a man who finds himself living in the pages of a pulp novel as it's being written. The sword fight scene on the pirate ship with the typewriter clacking in the sky is an all time fave.

img5050.JPG

I'd like to read that... in the meantime... Wow... what great cover art

Edited by Surfing Alien
change

18 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

img5050.JPG

Interesting concept with man living in pages of the story. I have a few books by Hubbard but have only read Battlefield Earth. This was quite a few years ago but I found it to be quite good. I cant say the same for the movie though.