• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,528 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

A while back someone inquired if it was ok to post PB's from the 60's. These two books have pretty good covers for the 60's, though it does seem there was an almost instantaneous drop-off in the quality of cover art once the 50's ended.

scan0238.jpg

scan0362.jpg

Probably only because the 40's and 50's used classic Pulp Art types, which were much derived out of "Classical" art. The 60's on saw much experimentation (also in music & other arts) that were considered "modern art" junk by purists at the time but have come to be appreciated more over time. I personally prefer the Pulpy stuff but still appreciate a lot of the modern art.

Since this is digest size,I'll post here.Hippos are my favourite non pet animal,so I love this cover.

!!!!!5.jpg

I guess this one's the opposite of the house hippo

Edited by porcupine48

It's hard for me to process that my well worn copy of this is the first printing from August 1971. It was not old when I first acquired it. The cover art is very modernist but I think captures the blurred lines Silverberg was drawing in his golden period. His writing at this time was so personal it almost hurt and I don't blame him for shutting the operation down for a decade after such a prolific reveal in the late 60's, early 70's, that gained him artistic Knighthood from his peers but not full on support from his publishers. When you wrote a novel in 1971 in the first person about the illegality of the self, you got something going on!

Image (452).jpg

9 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

It's hard for me to process that my well worn copy of this is the first printing from August 1971. It was not old when I first acquired it. The cover art is very modernist but I think captures the blurred lines Silverberg was drawing in his golden period. His writing at this time was so personal it almost hurt and I don't blame him for shutting the operation down for a decade after such a prolific reveal in the late 60's, early 70's, that gained him artistic Knighthood from his peers but not full on support from his publishers. When you wrote a novel in 1971 in the first person about the illegality of the self, you got something going on!

That sounds like a great read,I just looked it up.Vaguely reminds me on some levels of LeGuins Dispossessed,but not,if you get what I mean.

38 minutes ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Two newbies (bottom row - Pop #10 1943 clean-colorful-cheap & Berk G80 1957 decent-cheaper) enable me to fill up a second Fell four-pack.

fell2.jpg

Sweet - those early Pops are tough to find that nice :smile: 

+ I need to get more Berkley's, I never concentrated on them at all so only have a few - but they have some great art in that series

On 8/31/2019 at 11:56 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Let's kickstart this with some JD... some REAL JD...

Image (457).jpg

Few people realize, that in the 1950s the word "juvenile" referred to "people between the ages of 35 and 40". 

For more info on this historical tidbit, please see "Bowery Boys" and "Teen-Age Caveman".

4 hours ago, Bookery said:

Few people realize, that in the 1950s the word "juvenile" referred to "people between the ages of 35 and 40". 

For more info on this historical tidbit, please see "Bowery Boys" and "Teen-Age Caveman".

That's cool.... It might explain why ONJ got away with being a high school student in "Grease" when she was 30 lol😜

7 hours ago, OtherEric said:

A fun short novel by Piper & McGuire.  Piper was a great writer.  It's hard to be as sure about McGuire, ISFDB only shows 9 stories by him, and 4 of those were collaborations with Piper.

Piper's "Little Fuzzy" turned my sister into a sci-fi fan, which she was not prior.

15 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Piper's "Little Fuzzy" turned my sister into a sci-fi fan, which she was not prior.

I understand these editions were quite in demand in the late 60's and early 70's, when the Piper estate was a mess.  I don't think they've recovered their value since then, but they're still neat books.

Little Fuzzy.jpg

On 9/5/2019 at 2:55 AM, OtherEric said:

I understand these editions were quite in demand in the late 60's and early 70's, when the Piper estate was a mess.  I don't think they've recovered their value since then, but they're still neat books.

Little Fuzzy.jpg

Yeah, but those 60's Avon's are getting tougher to find in decent shape. Especially the more popular titles.