• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,538 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Pat Calhoun said:

That sig looks like the great Harry Barton, and the colorful compelling image helps confirm it. He did superb work for Ace as well...

D-115.jpg

Very nice - it looks like these later works were softer & more refined than the Avon -although that could be a publisher thing because many Avons of that time period had that more defined brushwork.

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

Nice site - I don't think i'd come across that one before. I just got some Aces in so i'll share... Found a decent looking copy of D-36 for the right price - it has moisture wrinkling on the Brackett flip side but is very square and minimal creasing. Been looking for one since I sold my collection in the 90's. Saunders didn't quite capture my thought of what Conan would look like but hey, neither did Brundage and I still like 'em both :)

I think the Schultz cover on Sword of Rhiannon is a better composition

1565890826_Image(529).thumb.jpg.71bfe4d19a776748e5c80f849fbd254e.jpg

2005422949_Image(530).thumb.jpg.390a4533b954766d45df46de4008229e.jpg

Agreed that the cover on the Brackett side is better.  I've always thought Conan actually looks a little like Arnold Schwarzenegger, though.

On 11/18/2019 at 1:37 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

Surf, your posts make it easy and fun to follow up. And a sig (stogie?) helps...The Ace site ( http://people.uncw.edu/smithms/ACE.html ) lists this one as by Rudy Nappi as well...

img191.jpg

Oh boy I LOVE this cover!

I found a stash of books folk,but have been reading them and new comic arrivals and losing time here lol no pics.Still watching happily.Great stuff gang,fantastic.I really enjoy this thread

14 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

That's the second 'cig lips' classic on this page and wanted to follow up...when I came close twice...the two together seemed postworthy. (think French pic is BZ's).

D-135.jpg

marihuanafrench.jpg

This board can be trouble! Those two are on my want list now :) I'd love to know the history, whether the companies were related and re-used art or if the artist was smart/fotunate enough to keep the art and shop it around?

10 hours ago, moonpool said:

So, I have no working scanner, but this picture was already in photobucket.  The top of the pyramid in my collection.   Heade cover from 1954.   Appears to be the only copy around, as 54 was when most of the pulp publishers got out before the law came for them.

jv_zpshd90bbpz.jpg

Great cover

On 11/24/2019 at 6:12 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Wish I kept my Jim Thompson's when I sold my collection :( I'm gonna try to replace them at some point but everyone knows about them now so they're never cheap.

I posted these bad girls a while back but they're worth a review considering the topic :)

Image (354).jpg

Image (372).jpg

Image (374).jpg

Gotta love the vintage paperback era.  Peggy Gaddis was an author who wrote almost exclusively for the romance pulps in the '30s and '40s.  I wouldn't swear that she didn't change styles and start writing hardcore noir... but I'm guessing the Gaddis book is an old romance story aimed at female readers, now given a new cover treatment (and title) to make it look appealing to the male market.  Probably many a reader lured by the cover art ended up disappointed.