• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,854 posts in this topic

On 1/8/2014 at 3:00 PM, Reno McCoy said:

I've recently been looking more into vintage paperback books. Some of the cover art and text blurbs are incredibly risque, and it fascinates me to consider what it must've been like to peruse the stands of the local newsstand considering the covers that adorned the comics, pulps, and paperbacks of the time.

From what little I know about the era, there was a glut of product from each of these types of publications. However, based on the values I've seen in my limited research, it seems that paperbacks have never attained the same level of collectibility of comics and pulps. Heck, it seems that pulps aren't nearly as sought after as the comics, either.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why that might be? I know there are exceptions to the rule, but in general, why is it that, in terms of value and apparent interest, it's: comics > pulps > paperbacks? I can understand why super hero comics, which are still in the public eye, have maintained their dominance, but are there any clear reasons why pulps and paperbacks aren't as sought after?

It's simple really. Nostalgia has been the primary impetus behind the price increases we've seen for most such collectibles in the last sixty years and nostalgia is strongest for the items of our formative years. Paperbacks and pulps were never targeted at kids; comics were. Therefore since nostalgia rules, it's comics that have appreciated most in price in the last sixty years.

:preach:

I like them a lot too. Problem is I NEVER see them out in “the wild” anymore. Like a lot of things and paperbacks come to mind, these used to be pretty cheap and easily obtainable. With comics going so high. It’s hard for me to pay high prices for these anymore. Especially with the fact that there is such a small interest in them.

57 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I like them a lot too. Problem is I NEVER see them out in “the wild” anymore. 

Agreed.  I have owned my shop for 35 years... I have had every silver-age comic come through multiple times, thousands of golden-age comics, vast quantities of vintage paperbacks, old movie posters, even pulps going back to the 1920s... but in all of that time I have never had a collection of the sweat mags come in.  One or two might be in with some other stuff, but never a collection per se.  I never see them at shows either.  I recall seeing them on the newsstand racks in the ealy '60s, and they seemed to be everywhere.  So what happened to them?