• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,527 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

Very nice selection, I think Avon hit their stride with the Triangle corner number look and really took off as far as art quality and composition in the Bullseye logo era

I agree. I still love the charm however of a few dozen of the first one hundred, especially the Paul Stahr covers like Five Murderers and Little Caesar from the first picture.  :cloud9:

10 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Down the rabbit hole I go! I don’t think I shared this picture here? This Triffid book is a new pick up and I was mesmerized by the condition of this book. The bag makes it look like there is a corner crease in the upper right but that is just the light. The book was packaged inside a plastic bag and seems to be as clear as Mylar and makes the colors pop so I contacted the seller and asked where I could get some bags like these. 100 for $10.  They are already on the way. 

It’s really hard for me to buy comics now.   My dollar seems to go a long way in this field of collecting.

EEC406DC-2B0F-4C22-99EC-2DFBAE5671DC.jpeg

Definitely not a money sport.  I think someone could have all the paperbacks from The Warren guide forward for less than a 3.0  AF 15.   And while condition is important, it's not 0.2 important.

Edited by moonpool

3 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Can't go wrong with minty Earle Bergey Popular Library covers. By coincidence I just picked up this unread green Bergey cover :)

Image (548).jpg

Wow that’s cool. I’ve been looking at that book and I thought that it was the same artist!  I love that cover. You’ll have to let me know where you got one that high grade. I didn’t see one.

3 minutes ago, moonpool said:

Definitely not a money sport.  I think someone could have all the paperbacks from The Good Earth forward for less than a 3.0  AF 15.   And while condition is important, it's not 0.2 important.

Don’t give the peanut gallery ideas!   Nothing to see here!  Move along. 

Intimate Novel 32 - 1st printing of the DIgest sized 1st Edition of Basement Gang. This is the infamous "" cover.

The boner was covered up with a red sticker at some point in the distribution process and those copies are more common. The image was used numerous times later on both for a Beacon PB sized reprint and for the cover of Stallion Books 213 Reefer Club, but they all had the "problem" covered up in some way.

Image (550).jpg

38 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Yeah, pretty good lot, here's the rest of it...

That is a nice lot. I've never laid a hand on Diamond Lil. Seen it, but not in person. Strange that you can run across more copies of Dying Earth, Sin in Space, Junkie, Dancing Sandwiches, etc. than a Dell in the 500's.  :nyah: