• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,905 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Robot Man said:

"Scruffy"??? Looks nice to me. Great cover on that one. Better stop showing such cool books or I might be forced into collecting them again...:roflmao:

I agree, that's better than most of these i've seen. Just like with comics, the dark covers show creasing more easily. The "readers crease" on this one doesn't bother me so much since the rest of the cover is pretty clean and the awesome Maguire main image is un-marred. I do gotta get me one of these as I do not currently have one :(

2 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

I agree, that's better than most of these i've seen. Just like with comics, the dark covers show creasing more easily. The "readers crease" on this one doesn't bother me so much since the rest of the cover is pretty clean and the awesome Maguire main image is un-marred. I do gotta get me one of these as I do not currently have one :(

I don’t know enough to know when I did well.  I bought it sight unseen from a book seller’s list.  I’d rather be lucky than good!

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

Bedside Books 1959 first edition of Alan Bennett's "Savage Delinquents" with very cool stylized punk cover art. A scarce JD book published under a mostly "sleaze/soft core" imprint. This has a paper cover so thin you can see through it on the scan - so, very tough in nice condition. I love the back cover blurbs on this "thrill dizzy punks and souped up hot rods are the everyday way of life for today's teen-age beatniks" This is one I saved when I sold the bulk of my original collection. I knew I might not see another one so nice.

Image (552).jpg

Image (553).jpg

“...and they kept score by the sin.”  

That’s awesome. 

3 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

You guys are killing me with all of the GGA, delinquent teen, and other exotic sundry books. So I took a temporary break from sci-fi, specifically Ace double sci-fi, to dabble in GGA. This book just arrived today.

scan0025.jpg

THE infamous "nipple cover" ... If that was a comic book it would be worth a thousand dollars....

26 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

THE infamous "nipple cover" ... If that was a comic book it would be worth a thousand dollars....

A weird one for me. Classic for sure, but she's so stiff and that look on her face, almost as if austere to the point of awkward. If only it was a tad more "come hither."  :/

8 hours ago, PopKulture said:

A weird one for me. Classic for sure, but she's so stiff and that look on her face, almost as if austere to the point of awkward. If only it was a tad more "come hither."  :/

Oh, she's a Classical Greek Statue for sure, not a lithely hillbilly girl  :smile:  But classic nonetheless, mostly because she was fairly shocking on the front racks in mainstream stores in 1948

On 12/21/2019 at 11:42 AM, Robot Man said:

Wow, those are brutal...

That middle one almost popped my eyes out.Wow.

Oskar Krause,I haven't visited in a while and owe some likes!I wanted to wait till I got some sundry stuff photographed,but things,y'know?

I did find these two in a book box last night!Older Rand finds for me.I've read-and enjoyed Anthem,Fountainhead,Atlas..so looking forward to checking out We the Living,but not sure how the other will go.I have some vintage objectivist pamphlets/material,but really grabbed it because of Ditko,to argue a bit better(devils advocate)with philosophy major friends.

4gv3c4u.jpg?2

Hey, do you guys watch the youtube videos by Gary Lovisi?  He's been cranking out some really good videos on paperback collecting at a prolific pace, and it's really helped give me a good overview of paperback cover collecting.  I wonder if he hangs around this site?  I reached out to him on Facebook to thank him for his videos.

4 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Gary is great; he has been carrying the PB torch for a long time, and the 'zine he publishes is terrific. This issue from 2003 contains an appreciation I wrote on the awesome novels of Day Keene.

0papa.jpg

dkg.JPG

I will have to look for the 'zine you mention. In addition I will check on snagging a copy of Mrs Homicide in the not too distant future.

Found an episode of Gary Lovisi's on the Mushroom Publishers of the 1950’s

9 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Hey, do you guys watch the youtube videos by Gary Lovisi?  He's been cranking out some really good videos on paperback collecting at a prolific pace, and it's really helped give me a good overview of paperback cover collecting.  I wonder if he hangs around this site?  I reached out to him on Facebook to thank him for his videos.

Yeah, he's the Gryphon Books on Ebay I previously mentioned to you. I think he's Gryphon209 to be exact. A good barometer for pricing. He always has tons of cool stuff.