• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,865 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Finally received a vintage version of this book.  This Ace book seems to be kind of scarce in the marketplace so I bought it with the idea of upgrading later.  Seems that some of the later Woolrich books are hard to find but perhaps they are just not worth listing?

C641ADCF-5AC5-405C-9C00-0694FC0A5DF0.jpeg

Looks like Ace reprinted a line of Woolrich stories in the late 60's along with this one.

http://people.uncw.edu/smithms/mystery_singles.html  (Thanks to Pat Calhoun for this Ace site - very informative)

I don't know if they're particularly rare as they're later than what I usually go after but his stuff is great and still sells. In the age of the new $10 & up paperbacks, the floor on any reading copy is decent. 

The spirits of the quarter books have been very good to me.Grendel and the Loved One were nice surprises and reads,

2Z2zOeK.jpg?2

Moorecock,well what can I say,and I always pick up a great shape 007

sqtDfw7.jpg?2

But these two were the highlight,such great condition and what a cover on the Unknown Quantity!

DMiqIFL.jpg?2

6 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

HOLY !!!

Right? lol you should see the back! :whatthe: This was from a new to me seller,so I did a trial buy,now have a few more of these exceptionally WHOA books coming.Fortunately I read,speak French.And I grabbed the ones I really wanted befor posting.These are pretty affordable

Edit @pmpknface your tiny pics sig links are brokended,can't see your lovelies :frown:

Edited by porcupine48

On 2/15/2019 at 12:46 PM, Surfing Alien said:

First Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - was pleasantly surprised to pick this up for a song recently - they rarely go under the radar in decent shape.

Image (346).jpg

Can you imagine what this would go for if it was a comic book? Cover appearance in a pulp mag of the 1st edition of Fahrenheit 451, arguably the most important novel about censorship/fake news of the 20th century

OK, guess what the three books below have in common.

Also, check out the title of this Skull cover from 1941. Coincidentally, Gary Lovisi posted a YouTube video tonight showing books with crazy names and this one was on his list. I’m trying to avoid purchasing things in low grade, but this was a screaming deal even for its condition and it was just too cool to pass up.

If I was smart I would stop looking at eBay so often. These things are like popcorn!  I’m really trying hard to stay disciplined. If I don’t I will run out a room to store these things!

DC0E2DD6-C9D5-4CD2-8F67-FD676ED7C8E9.jpeg

B5344055-AB2D-497B-8EC5-61082474A672.jpeg

Edited by Westy Steve

8 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

OK, guess what the three books below have in common.

Also, check out the title of this Skull cover from 1941. Coincidentally, Gary Lovisi posted a YouTube video tonight showing books with crazy names and this one was on his list. I’m trying to avoid purchasing things in low grade, but this was a screaming deal even for its condition and it was just too cool to pass up.

If I was smart I would stop looking at eBay so often. These things are like popcorn!  I’m really trying hard to stay disciplined. If I don’t I will run out a room to store these things!

DC0E2DD6-C9D5-4CD2-8F67-FD676ED7C8E9.jpeg

B5344055-AB2D-497B-8EC5-61082474A672.jpeg

Ah, you're speaking my language!  3 of LB Cole's covers.  He did a ton of pulps, but not all are signed and they have varying styles.  Nice pickups!  Cool skull cover too!  :headbang:

20 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

Ah, you're speaking my language!  3 of LB Cole's covers.  He did a ton of pulps, but not all are signed and they have varying styles.  Nice pickups!  Cool skull cover too!  :headbang:

Yes Sir!  I'm sorely tempted to post them in the Golden Age "show your L B Cole covers" thread, but I don't want them encroaching on our turf.

48 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Yes Sir!  I'm sorely tempted to post them in the Golden Age "show your L B Cole covers" thread, but I don't want them encroaching on our turf.

I've been grabbing these Cole paperbacks when I see them pop up in half-decent grade. The problem is that they were produced so cheaply that they are often rags.

4 hours ago, Ryan. said:

I've been grabbing these Cole paperbacks when I see them pop up in half-decent grade. The problem is that they were produced so cheaply that they are often rags.

Most of the Cole covers on vintage paperbacks/digests appeared in the run of Croydon books from the late 40's to early 50's. Unfortunately they were printed on paper that creases very easily making them pretty tough to find in nice shape. I used to have them all :cry: