• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,538 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

If you're going to collect Croydon's, and you should :headbang:,  you may have to lower your condition standards because you can only get what you can get.

Sage advice. There are certain books that you'll encounter so seldom in any grade that you have to be content with a decent presenter to hold you over. In the days before the Bay, these were all so very difficult books:

35382163.7bfafa8b.jpg

35382169.bac1d3db.jpg

35381973.6e03d504.640.jpg

On 1/9/2020 at 11:47 PM, Westy Steve said:

Gary Lovisi posted a YouTube video

I watched his video on the early Croydon's this morning, pretty cool to see them all in one place. Did a little background reading and Croydon apparently became part of the Star Publishing group that Cole formed after purchasing the Premium Comics Group in 1949. Just like with his comics, he did almost all the covers at first - 15 out of the first 16 book covers - but farmed the Croydon digest covers out once he became a studio owner in 1949.

6 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Sage advice. There are certain books that you'll encounter so seldom in any grade that you have to be content with a decent presenter to hold you over. In the days before the Bay, these were all so very difficult books:

35382163.7bfafa8b.jpg

35382169.bac1d3db.jpg

35381973.6e03d504.640.jpg

Classics all - I've never had a copy of Death From Nowhere

3 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Populars are probably my second fave small format paperback after the Avons. Lots of dames looking over their shoulders

20200114_090345.jpg

Nice!  I think my attraction is similar to the comic book guys who like the box format.  They really pop in higher grade too.