• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,529 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Been working on the Monarch run lately, lots of incredible GGA covers by Maguire, Barton & Schaare. Crisp draughtsmanship, nice composition, colors that pop and many of them are PBO's.

20200114_091134.jpg

20200114_091121.jpg

Nothing else I have ever heard explained so much in so few words as “Monarch was Charlton’s book imprint.”

14 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Normally I would put this in the pulp thread.  But since the point of getting this one is the Dell 10c reprint of the story is so expensive, I thought I would post it here instead.  (This is a reprint as well.)

Triple_Detective_1955_Spring.jpg

Is this the first app of the story or is the 10 cent the first? I really like this image for the story even though the Dell is iconic.

6 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Is this the first app of the story or is the 10 cent the first? I really like this image for the story even though the Dell is iconic.

Neither.  It first appeared in Mystery Book Magazine in Summer 1950, then the Dell 10c in 1951, then in the Triple Detective in 1955.  I gather there have been a couple later reprintings, but none of them are terribly affordable.

On 1/17/2020 at 9:18 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I picked off a few unread Dells recently too. The romance & mystery I grabbed because they are newstand fresh. Jokes is tough unread like this but has a little lamination wear. Hopley is, well, Irish. I had a perfect copy back in the day but this one is pretty good.

20200117_210047.jpg

20200117_210107.jpg

20200117_210126.jpg

20200111_233023.jpg

20200117_210028.jpg

20200111_233050.jpg

I need to pay more attention to condition and snag books like these. They’re beautiful!  

I’m still going 12 different directions with collecting paperbacks...probably not paying enough attention to condition.  As a major classic car buff, I find I’m drawn to car covers.  I plan to pick up more. But coincidentally I also like references to the devil and the occult. So this one spoke to me and I picked it up today.  I’m chasing books that tick a lot of boxes like this one. You guys have any car covers or devil covers you care to share?

EB6C4BCA-CC04-4562-A494-8D003D0CEEFB.jpeg

Edited by Westy Steve