• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,857 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

I think I posted this one way back but it's a must have for a car buff...

Image (166).jpg

Yes, very high on my want list.  Kind of expensive for its genre too.  Even the next version has a good cover and is collectible.  Felsen did other car books that are on my want list and look like great reads.  He alsowrote some books that were very unrelated to the car culture. Looking forward to reading his stuff!

Speaking of authors,  I was looking at your copy  of the Night has 1000 eyes and I was intrigued by the fact that they used an asterisk to reveal that George Hopley was William Irish. Of course I knew this already but it’s not clear who’s persona they are revealing there with the asterisk . So I looked it up. The original Night has 1000 eyes  hardback was done by Hopley. This implies that the Irish pen name was more well respected than that Hopley in that time period...otherwise they wouldn’t have revealed it as such. I doubt the Irish pen name was  more respected than Woolrich’s true name. So my guess is he took on Pen names to go after smaller jobs to pay the bills in between larger book deals under his more respected and valuable names...Sort of like when a big actor does a television commercial to tide themselves over until they get another big role.  Of course they are all great stuff.

36 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Sweet titles (thumbsu Tough to follow up The Girl From Tiger Bay with this geek stuff but this just in. I've been looking for an affordable decent looking 1st print paperback of Stranger In A Strange Land for a looong time. These fat and fragile books got beat to hell when they came out.

20200121_204855.jpg

I grok you.

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

Sweet titles (thumbsu Tough to follow up The Girl From Tiger Bay with this geek stuff but this just in. I've been looking for an affordable decent looking 1st print paperback of Stranger In A Strange Land for a looong time. These fat and fragile books got beat to hell when they came out.

20200121_204855.jpg

Cool.  Looks a lot like Dr. Manhattan.  I wonder if they are somehow related to each other. I’m sure this one came first.

Edited by Westy Steve

2 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

20200121_204855.jpg

One of the first sci-fi novels I read and the beginning of my love for Heinlein’s writing.  Still my favorite author from the genre.  (thumbsu

5 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

20200121_204855.jpg

I've actually never seen that cover before.  Then again, I'm not sure I've ever owned a paperback of STRANGER.  I've got a book club edition of the original hardcover, and a first printing on the revised & expanded version.

Did just pick this up this weekend... Starship Troopers is surprisingly hard to find in hardcover, even this later book club edition. This one is a major step up from my earlier copy, which had a pretty ragged dust jacket for a book that was from the 80's or 90's.

Starship_Troopers.jpg

40 minutes ago, N e r V said:

And another cheap eBay purchase that I’m hoping looks like the scan. I always dug this Frazetta cover!

A32E4F06-74CA-4CA5-8E39-A0F81177CDCE.jpeg.7b3bba36f6c5ffd792432f2c1f0ddfaa.jpeg53AE0B31-6399-4462-8DD6-D585E92F0CAB.jpeg.720073a6cb04a6ee7ebcf5307813fa89.jpeg

I always assumed this cover was a reworking of this movie poster but now I’m unsure.  Anyway, completely agree, love this Frazetta piece!

5BACC87C-B74D-4D50-B8B8-DBE6002178CE.jpeg