• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
24 24

6,538 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, damonwad said:

Here's a little group shot of my slowly growing 6 month old paperback collection.

I got the collecting bug from following this thread for the last year or so and had some much appreciated help on collecting and authors from Pat C. to get me started.

It's been lots of fun but I just wish I had more time to read. Still 5 of these I haven't got to yet.

2064344652_PaperbackGroupShot.thumb.jpg.d4e3cc66b03a9bb3471ab30c5d152c6c.jpg

Let's just say you and Pat have exceedingly good taste. And love that hell of a  row of spines there!

1 hour ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Yes, nice copies and choices - I think the Avon digest Murder Mystery Monthly series doesn't get enough attention and boasts many handsome volumes, mostly of classic noir and such. As a bonus for fantasy fans their 'Dwellers in the Mirage' is one of the few editions to feature Merritt's original and vastly superior ending to the 'happier' one the first hardback publisher made him write and used.

img050.jpg

Thanks Pat.

I like those Avon MMM digests a lot and will be getting more. That's interesting about the Dwellers ending and I look forward to reading it.

I'd never heard of Merritt until recently and just picked up Burn Witch Burn on a whim while buying another book. I was pleasantly surprised that I ended up liking it so much. A strong "Lovecraft" feel to it.

16 hours ago, damonwad said:

Here's a little group shot of my slowly growing 6 month old paperback collection.

I got the collecting bug from following this thread for the last year or so and had some much appreciated help on collecting and authors from Pat C. to get me started.

It's been lots of fun but I just wish I had more time to read. Still 5 of these I haven't got to yet.

2064344652_PaperbackGroupShot.thumb.jpg.d4e3cc66b03a9bb3471ab30c5d152c6c.jpg

Darn, those are some fine books!! Choice titles in what looks to be outstanding condition! Lots of great keys.  :golfclap:

6 hours ago, damonwad said:

Here are some fronts to go with the spines.

I've seen John D. MacDonald's books in book stores my whole life and never gave him a second thought until an April Evil recommendation from Pat C. 

6 books later and he's one of my favorite authors.

805947645_BrassCupcake(front).thumb.JPG.d58c7261f1a04390ec46498880504909.JPG

895483074_BulletForCinderella(front).thumb.JPG.02c0704124ae114ffbc5d8fca362394d.JPG

He's one of my favorites as well; and  prolific enough I've still got quite a lot I haven't read.   I have a fondness for his science fiction, which a lot of people aren't aware of.  I've managed to track down a nearly complete set of his SF pulps.

15 hours ago, OtherEric said:

He's one of my favorites as well; and  prolific enough I've still got quite a lot I haven't read.   I have a fondness for his science fiction, which a lot of people aren't aware of.  I've managed to track down a nearly complete set of his SF pulps.

I'm one of those not familiar with his sci-fi but I did a little searching and it looks like he did a lot though. Good luck completing your set.

Any favorites you'd recommend?

11 hours ago, damonwad said:

I'm one of those not familiar with his sci-fi but I did a little searching and it looks like he did a lot though. Good luck completing your set.

Any favorites you'd recommend?

My favorite of JDM's SF/fantasy novels is "The Girl, The Gold Watch, and Everything".  It's probably best described as Science-Fantasy and it's far more a comedy than his normal work.  I still need to track down a 1st edition.  @Pat Calhoun showed his other two SF novels, although Planet of the Dreamers is normally published as Wine of the Dreamers.  It's arguably his actual first novel; although "The Brass Cupcake" was published as a book first the magazine version of Dreamers showed up in Startling Stories a few months earlier. 

My personal favorite of his SF short stories is "Final Mission", in the Nov. 1950 Planet Stories.  4 pages that packs one heck of a punch.  Just in general, I like his SF more for the tone than the science... he's more interested in the characters than a lot of the authors of the time, and a lot of his stuff might almost be called Space Opera Noir.  The other warning I would give is his stories in Super Science Stories tend to be of lesser quality than his other SF stories, although there are exceptions either way.

And while I'll probably get 1st editions of his three SF novels eventually I doubt I'll ever track down the first edition of the last short story I'm missing.  It's called The Spiralled Myth, and was first published in an APA type publication that was mostly circulated among pros.  I just consider myself lucky to have read it at all.

10 hours ago, OtherEric said:

My favorite of JDM's SF/fantasy novels is "The Girl, The Gold Watch, and Everything".  It's probably best described as Science-Fantasy and it's far more a comedy than his normal work.  I still need to track down a 1st edition.  @Pat Calhoun showed his other two SF novels, although Planet of the Dreamers is normally published as Wine of the Dreamers.  It's arguably his actual first novel; although "The Brass Cupcake" was published as a book first the magazine version of Dreamers showed up in Startling Stories a few months earlier. 

My personal favorite of his SF short stories is "Final Mission", in the Nov. 1950 Planet Stories.  4 pages that packs one heck of a punch.  Just in general, I like his SF more for the tone than the science... he's more interested in the characters than a lot of the authors of the time, and a lot of his stuff might almost be called Space Opera Noir.  The other warning I would give is his stories in Super Science Stories tend to be of lesser quality than his other SF stories, although there are exceptions either way.

And while I'll probably get 1st editions of his three SF novels eventually I doubt I'll ever track down the first edition of the last short story I'm missing.  It's called The Spiralled Myth, and was first published in an APA type publication that was mostly circulated among pros.  I just consider myself lucky to have read it at all.

Thanks for the great information and I'll definitely be reading some of his SF work. You hooked me with "Space Opera Noir".

Also, good luck with the Spiralled Myth.

1 hour ago, Pat Calhoun said:

recent pick-up of more luscious Maguire on what might be a fun old (1896) novel: Berkley 1957

0aphpl.jpg

Beautiful! The Berkley series has grown on me. I never had many of them when I first collected pb's but i've picked up quite a few for my current collection. I'll try to dig out a few later.