• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,878 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Such a great feeling as a collector to hold a book like this in your hands and imagine you're back in the 40's at a newsstand or drugstore grabbing it off the racks just 'cause the cover spoke to you...  :cloud9:

For sure, and the Gerald Gregg covers look even more surreal when they're in sharp condition with minty gloss laminate :cloud9:

So, went to the bookstore this morning, making sure I got there right as they opened and I was the only customer.  I figure that's a decent balance between social distancing and supporting local businesses.  I fully expect a shelter in place order in the next few days, so wanted to help out while I could.  A nice handful of items today, I'll start with the Saint:

Avon_T-199.jpg

Perma_M_4196.jpg

Pocket_50212.jpg

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I'll let these covers speak for themselves:

Bantam_1119.jpg

Popular_111.jpg

Popular_136.jpg

Sweet haul all around. Love that Carr cover with the Femme Fatale. I miss digging around in bookstores but at least the mails will be open for now. I got some more nice mapbacks in that i'll shoot tomorrow. That Rawson title is a classic. I used to have a real nice copy.

Edited by Surfing Alien

4 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Just got around to examining the rest of a lot I won and took a double take when I looked closely at this. I've never seen one before and Google led to Heritage where the original painting is attributed to George Gross. I'll eat my sombrero if that's not Hef and Marilyn...

Was Hef even relevant at that point? I believe that book might be too early to bear his image. Playboy was either in its infancy or soon to come. Marilyn I can see, sure, and I can see a little George Raft there... 

Edited by PopKulture

7 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Was Hef even relevant at that point? I believe that book might be too early to bear his image. Playboy was either in its infancy or soon to come. Marilyn I can see, sure, and I can see a little George Raft there... 

Yeah, Playboy was December 1953 and this was published sometime in late 1953 so too early for Hef. Marilyn exploded everywhere in 1953 (Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, How to Marry a Millionaire) so I guess I only need to salt 1/2 of my hat :roflmao:The robe had me thinking Hef but I can see George Raft there too 

Edited by Surfing Alien

21 hours ago, davet75 said:

Love the Avon comics / paperbacks swipes

image.png

Love the swipes. I don't know how to do the search properly but someone, I think Doohickamabob, did a long bunch of posts somewhere in the forums that showed dozens of the cover swipes. It was a treat but I just can't find it right now to give a link.